Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

My first two blooms

zeffyrose
15 years ago

The winners in this years race---

Clair Matin------and Carefree Sunshine-- two great roses

Zeffy should be blooming soon----

whooppee---the rose season is starting !!

Florence

Comments (6)

• prairie-rose
    15 years ago

I'm pretty jazzed too--I have blooms, but totally consider it "cheating" because they're all on my newly arrived/planted roses (all of whom came from warmer climates and had a head start). Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, though! Particularly Harison's Yellow, it's got one long-lasting gorgeous yellow bloom hanging off the end of skinny cane, and plenty more buds in development. Carefree Sunshine is blooming (love it too), Prairie Harvest is blooming, Carefree Beauty has pumped out some flowers, Quietness has a big fat bud ready to open, Anne Boleyn (Austin) is blooming her fool head off--never seen such a small rose with so many buds ready to go. Sally Holmes is also outdoing herself. I can't take credit for any of them blooming so nicely, but my "already here" roses are nicely leafed out and starting to form flower buds, so I do take credit for THAT.

• serenasyh
    15 years ago

Pics, pics! don't forget the piccies! I can't wait to see them! Congrats! My buds have already started to open on my Lincolns, but for me, I almost wish they had grown more instead of budding so soon. (it slows down leaf and stem growth) and the Lincolns are too young in my opinion to have a really magnificent bloom. Ah, well, maybe too much wonderful sea tea gave them too much confidence... LOL!

• prairie-rose
    15 years ago

Funny, I didn't even realize the Anne Boleyn/"blooming her fool head off" bad pun until re-reading this. Ha! Poor Anne, still losing her head. Apologies for (unintentional) cheesiness.

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

I also got a few blooming already. Baby's Blanket, Jeanne La Joie, and Blanc Double de Coubert are beginning to strut their stuff! Sigh.... :-)

• cupshaped_roses
    15 years ago

Ohh the first flowers opening up! Almost as good as the first kiss!!!

"The china - viridiflora "the Green rose" was first here - even though I am not sure a bunch of sepals imitating petals really count as a rose flower? Gruss an Teplitz, Old Blush, Louise Odier and Hermosa have big buds! So much to enjoy and look forward to.

Oh Florence BTW speaking of DEADHEADING - .-)))) I found the perfect video - that shows that pruning really can be fun!!! I am sure she grows up to become a rosegardener! See Link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube pruning roses

• henryinct
    15 years ago

Here the first blooms are usually the last week in May and peak is the second week of June. This year the first blooms will be a week early but still way behind you guys. Same zone, shorter season.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz