Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgillilan_gw

Surge Protector for Irrigation system controller?

dgillilan
13 years ago

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone can tell me the recommended level of surge suppression for a Hunter Pro C controller. I did talk to a rep from the surge protector company, Syco, which supplies protectors to Dominion Power, and he said any of their protectors would be sufficient for the "plug in" side to the power outlet. The other side where the wires come into the controller, is another matter. He recommended an item that I think I would need an electrician to install and will not consider than until after my 1 year warranty is up.

So does anyone know what folks do to provide the surge protection for an irrigation system controller? Has anyone used a surge suppressor on your system and if so, has it worked ok and what level or joules did you use on it?

Thanks,

Debra Gillilan

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

dg,

Do you have frequent power outages in your area? I have had my controller 10 years with no surge protection and at least 5 power outages and have never had a problem with my controller. Fancier controller with sensitive micro-processors may be a different story. Ask the manufacturer on their website. Hunter is good at responding to customers on technical matters. Aloha

• dgillilan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lehua13, I will ask Hunter again, they did not reply to my first inquiry. We do not have many power outages but I hear horror stories of folks with appliances getting fried from lightning, not sure where they live.
    Thanks,Debra

• dgillilan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received advice from Hunter on this and see below, it seems that no specs are spelled out for a surge protector but I have bought one from my power company for this controller and will hope for the best in protecting against power blips. From Hunter:

"Debra,

Unfortunately when grounding an electrical device it's hard to say exactly how much protection is enough. A significant strike of electricity regardless of the protection could still allow harm to the controller or it's component's.

As a manufacturer of irrigation components Hunter can only recommend using a surge protector to help in protecting the controller. For warranty and liability purposes we are not going to be able to give you an exact electrical protocol on what sure protection device is going to be sufficient.

Typically customers use simple surge protection strips similar to computer protection devices. Or if inline protection is necessary a company called Control Tech out of Denver Colorado(www.controltech.com) can help you with more complex protection."

• lehua49
    13 years ago

dg,

That sounds about right for a company's liability issues. Surge protection is just insurance for an external problem outside the products/company's control. How much you pay for this insurance(protection) is up to you and believe what someone is selling you. You will never know if you really needed it or not. Many companies make alot of money preying on peoples' fear for very insignificant risks. JMHO Aloha

• Controller
    12 years ago

There are many types "surge" protection and generally the more you pay the more protection you get. But often the "surge" protection costs as much or more than the item it's purchased to protect and there's no practical way to know if you even have a "surge" problem.

Nothing can withstand a direct hit lightning strike - even the "protection" equipment. While these are uncommon they do happen and it's just "one of those things".