Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa67_gw

Desert Rose

Melissa67
11 years ago

Ok so I saw a pic of the Desert Rose and absolutely fell in love with it. So I go and order seeds. Well I get them in the mail yesterday afternoon. I open the package... seeds are there... no instructions on them.

I have never grown a rose from seeds and I really want to do them the right way...not sure if I should soak them first or what....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just want to do them right and enjoy them later.... thanks so much all!!!

Comments (10)

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

It is easy.
    Here is a link that might be useful:Adeniums from seedss

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hi Melissa67,
    Without being impertinent or assuming anything. You know that these Adeniums are not 'Roses'?
    Either way.
    Plant up the seeds in a cactus type mix with some added perlite.
    Soak seeds in tepid water for 2-3hrs. Place ontop of soil (soil mix should be 3"-4" deep) cover with grit or soil the same thickness as the seed. Water in lightly. Place in propagator or in ziploc bag to keep relative humidity high.
    Unless of coarse you live in a very hot and humid climate.
    Put on heat mat until they germinate if you cannot keep the soil temparature
    atleast at 75F +. Once they come up, you do not need the bottom heat..
    They will require good light and temps. of 65F at min.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello Melissa and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here. Rick has given you good info on sowing your seeds, so you will soon be on your way to enjoying these fascinating plants.
    I would just emphasise that the seed mix needs to be kept on the slightly moist side, they do not like to dry out whilst germinating. Not quite so important if you use a baggie, but I find in my propagator, they can dry out fast. Don't drown them either, it's a bit of a balancing act really, but you will get the hang of it. .
    Come back to us with more questions at any time...we will always try and help eac hother out. Hope to see some pics of your set-up with your seeds!
    Gill from the UK.

• Melissa67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! Yes I didn't know it wasn't a rose.... till I started reading about it..lol thanks for all your help! I just loved the look of the flower so I had to have them...

I will update you all later as it progresses!

• Melissa67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh also.... do I need to or when do I need to add a fertilizer ? What kind is best to use and all..... thanks guys!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi again, you won't need a fertiliser for several weeks yet, just water for the first 6 weeks or so. Sorry can't advise on the brand you need as I'm from over the pond! Someone will help you from your country I'm sure.
    Gill from the UK.

• Melissa67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gill.... I appreciate all the help I can get!!!

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Many people use many different kinds of fertilizer and most of them are good.
    Miracle gro and Osmocote are more popular ones.

Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello there Melissa, I've just been googling regarding an adenium related queery I had and I came across this site which I thought may be of use to you. There are loads of very good sites out there, but I thought this one in particular set out all the important points of adenium/desert rose (DR) care very well....enjoy!
    Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: a good read for DR info

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

Hi Melissa
    I recently invested in 20 different sets of seeds because of the beautiful colours of the flowers all different from beautiful photos. So I thought I could produce a desert rose that looked something like the mother plant. As you might of guessed I an very much a beginner at growing desert rose plants. After reading a lot more I now know that I was under the wrong impression about these beautiful plants and a little disappointed. I have been very carful to correctly name the seeds so I can label them when they become seedlings and hope that I will one day get something like the mother plant.

Maria
    Gold Coast Australia