Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mendocino_rose

The Very Last Vintage Sale

mendocino_rose
9 years ago

I saw the e mail when I woke up this morning announcing the final sale of Vintage roses. Gregg decided that he couldn't take another "starting at 7 PM PST" offerings. He's just plain worn out. I don't have a lot of money to spare and too many roses in pots and elsewhere but I ordered one more rose out of sentimental feelings, my very last order. I ordered Queen of Hearts a fragrant climber originally from Australia out of the import roses. It's the end of an era for us all.

Comments (19)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I saw the e-mail last night. I ordered 5 roses during the last sale and did not receive anything. I just did not want to go through the "process" again even though it seems as though the odds could be better this time. I am happy that I was able to receive two roses from Vintage in the past, and can only hope that they have shared cuttings with a nursery that supplies roses to the public.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 22:52

• vettin
    9 years ago

There are some beautiful roses offered. I know I will kill them in pots, I know we will move so I shouldn't plant them and I know I don't have space for them. Chances are I will still put in an order but waiting in case a better home finds them

• jaxondel
    9 years ago

No space, think you will kill them in pots, contemplating a change of location? . . . Yes, vettin, please follow your instinct to delay placing an order in the hope that those remaining roses will find better homes .

• melodyinz8a
    9 years ago

I don't have any more $ for roses this year, but Antoine Schurz looks so beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antoine Schurz

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Here's my very last order. I emailed it last night after receiving the email from Vintage. It's anybody's guess what I'll get.

St. Nicholas Damask

Nouveau Vulcain Gallica

Camille Bernardin HP

Duarte de Oliviera TN

Sad to witness the end of an era. I remember how great it was when Vintage had a retail store and I could go and pick out my gallon size plants.

Good luck to all who put in an order.

Diane

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think probably the majority of roses in my garden came from the retail store. It was such a great pleasure to Michael and I.

• peachymomo
    9 years ago

It was certainly a sad email to receive, it has been very challenging for me to resist the urge to purchase any more roses. I went on a spree when I first learned that Vintage was closing and now I just keep reminding myself of all the work that goes into taking care of my potted roses and how much work it will be to plant them all. I managed to get 34 roses planted over the cool months, leaving me with only 20 in pots and I hope to get those planted in the fall so I'll be done with my crazy pot ghetto years.

To all of you who plan on ordering, I wish you luck! I hope you get the roses you want and that they thrive for you and bring you years of joy the way mine have (and will) for me.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

They are gone ... They are sold. I waited too long . . .

:-(

Jeri

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still don't know if I got my rose or not but bravo that every rose got sold. It is a great way for Vintage to end.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

It is indeed. Sad as I am to see Vintage Gardens nursery ending, I am happy for Gregg.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

If I have not yet received confirmation of this last order can I assume the roses I ordered were all sold out?

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Gregg said yesterday that confirmations would be emailed today. Fingers crossed.

Glad they're going out with a bang.

Diane

• nastarana
    9 years ago

I am happy that VG has sold all its inventory and that these rare cultivars can be preserved by gardeners as well as by the Friends of VG.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

So excited to have just gotten my last confirmation - didn't get all I asked for but just happy to get anything! I got:
    Duarte de Oliviera
    Jeanne Corbeouf
    Gruss an Berlin
    Miss Agnes C. Sherman
    Vicomtesse d'Avesne
    Salmon Wings
    Souvenir de Lucien de Massad

Have one more previous order coming, so do have quite a few last treasures to enjoy. Hope everyone got some - for those of you who didn't, maybe there will be cuttings to share in the coming months. I am planning a new garden just for Vintage roses that will have perfect mix of sun and afternoon shade - I plan to add birdbaths and statuary and daylilies and annuals with seating....will be a nice project that will be ready when the bands are ready to plant in a year or so.

Truly, a sad day with the passing of this exceptional nursery.
    Judith

• vettin
    9 years ago

Very nice Judith. Gruss an Berlin looks gorgeous. I got Heidelberg :) had a couple more that I did not get, but I am sure they went to good homes...

• fogrose
    9 years ago

I had hoped for Duarte de Olivera but didn't get it.

Did get St. Nicholas which has been on my list for a long time.

Judith, hope someday to get cuttings of Duarte. Now I need to learn how to propagate.

Diane

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I will be most happy to share anything I have once I get them growing well. I don't have growing cuttings down pat yet - that is a skill I hope to become reasonably proficient at. I am babying along some Vintage bands like Earl of Eldon and one day hope to share these treasures. Greg Grant, a first class Texas plantsman, is going to come visit when I get my rose bands a bit more mature - going to give him cuttings to grow - he works at SFA University in the horticulture dept. and has access to all the finest mist systems so should be able to get a bunch to grow. I am in process of getting electricity put in my greenhouse - electrician should be finished tomorrow - so hope to set up some sort of misting/light system. Maybe one day there can be a thread on exchanges when these plants get older and cuttings can be passed around. I am amazed - and pleased for Gregg - that ALL the roses got sold! Will be interesting to see what everyone gets.
    Judith

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Have the last of the last confirmations gone out yet?

My email was full and wouldn't let emails through.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Wonderful news Judith. We're all going to have to help each other.

Diane