Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

new seedlings arrived in the mail!!!

hookilau
11 years ago

So excited! My new seedlings arrived today. I wasn't prepared for how CUUTE they'd be. Ok so I'd seen pics but I have to admit seeing them in real life, well, they're faar cuter.

I was a little dubious 'cause it arrived in a yellow pillow envelope :( with FRAGILE written across the back of the pkg. So here I am rolling my eyes, lips pursed & everything as I tear into pkg as carefully as I could.

To my surprise, a recycled water bottle cut crosswise & then taped shut served as a pod for my little seedlings. This is about the time I remember that the seller had 99% positive feedback, and I think this is why, lol.

Frantically searching for a blade to cut this thing open, and there they were. Pardon my enthusiasm but they're so darn cute.

I put them in hydroton inside of a glass candy jar in a bright part of the kitchen to settle in.

Comments (10)

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here they are!

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In their little 'incubator'

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

That is very interesting.....
    Thank you for sharing.
    Marie

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i gotta sit on my hands :)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

hookilau'''

Can you tell us your source for the seedlings?

Thanks,

Frank

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Frank,

Nothing special, really. Just your average un-named, untried ebay variety. They're so purty that I planned to give a few of my seedlings as gifts, once I find suitable pots for gifting.

I'm new to DR's and don't want to spend a lot of $$ while learning the ins & outs. So craigslist (locally) or ebay is usually where I go to find new hobby material on the cheap.

From previous posts, I've read you're in the boogie down Bronx :)

I'm from Queens but now I hail from Nassau County. I don't know anyone who keeps DR's here in NY, soooooo....how does your DR garden grow? :) Have you been able to locate a worthwhile NON PINK specimen yet?

I had never seen (maybe noticed is the right word) DR's for sale locally before, that is until I found them at Hick's Nurseries in Westbury this past wknd. Btw, nothing special, grafted, pink...but on sale for under 15$ for a pretty mature plant.

Antoinette

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Hi Antoinette...

This will be my second attempt at keeping DR alive in our lousy climate. The ONLY place that I ever saw DR was in Yonkers, NY Home Depot. I saw them there once, and then never again. They were just the crappy, cheap-looking pinks, like most DRs. Good luck finding plants locally.

Today, I just unpacked a previously ordered DR called "Arrogant", which is a deep red single, with "black" edges on each petal...so yes, I finally found a non-pink DR. Aleluia!!!!

I think we will have to accept ordering plants if we want different varieties other than the standard, boring pinks. I know only two growers, both in Florida, and one grower in Puerto Rico selling named plants. Shipping is as expensive as the plants.

Good luck with your DR quest.

Frank

PS...E-mail me if you want more information: fdvpiano@yahoo.com

• Jake13
    11 years ago

I am new here (and to adeniums) but I'm ready to get started. I'm looking for seeds now and to purchase some seedlings. Where did you get yours? (Are you allowed to list ebay sources on the Forum?)
    And what is in the aquarium? People mention fast/high drainage soil, but what are the beads you have your seedlings in? And it looks like the beads are almost covered in water. Can you tell me what you are doing?
    Thanks.
    Jake

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jake,

Sorry to be late in answering :) I purchased these seedlings from ebay because they were cheap, 8.99 for a total of 8 seedlings + shipping. I'm new to DR too :) Luckily, GW & it's members' experience saved me from making fatal rookie mistakes.

The seedlings are of no value really to an experienced DR enthusiast because their flower color is unknown & likely the most common color, pink :) I just loved the habit of these plants and would like nothing more than to surround myself with fatty-O pots & full flowering heads of pink or whatever color the ebay gods have graced me with, lol.

The little pebbles are LECA, the brand is Hydroton. Annnd it was an experiment that didn't quite fail, as my DR did not die, but they certainly failed to thrive.

1. DR seedlings weren't able to remain stable (upright) in the hydroton
    2. particles were too big, got too much air or too much water. It turned out to be difficult to keep the balance correct.
    3. Al's gritty mix is the fast draining soil you keep hearing about(do a search, can't miss it. you'll find the recipe & explanation of how it works) Get a drink & put your feet up. It's a loooong but very informative read but I can't say enough how worth it this mix & explanation about soil & water movement was for me.

The aquarium isn't an aquarium, just an old candy jar that I put the seedlings in. It worked really well to keep the humidity high. I've successfully started seeds in this sort of thing before too.

Re: 'Can you tell me what you are doing'
    Well, I was fast on my way to rotting my DR's =) that's what I was doing, lol!

Go with gritty mix or 511 (again, quick search, you'll find all you need to know)leave the LECA for the 'medicinal' pot growers =)

I pulled the seedlings out of the LECA & repotted in gritty mix, they have since put on new leaves, indicating developing additional roots.

My first mature DR (I currently have 3 more mature plants aside from the 8 seedlings & 5 rooted cuttings) I also pulled out of the hydroton & the cuttings too. They have all put on new growth thanks to the gritty mix, CRF & weekly feeding of Miracle Grow @ about half strength.

Good luck & I'd love to see pics of any plants you acquire =)

Antoinette

Here is a link that might be useful: about hydroton