Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riku_gw

Stumbled across a Mislabeled Erskine's Prairie Peace ?

riku
15 years ago

Returning from from a trout fly fishing trip into the Rockies I stopped off at an Agriculture College to have a look at their rose garden I had heard of. Cruising through at lightening fast speed because my sons were waiting impatiently in the parking lot I came across a rose I swear is likely Erskines "Prairie Peace" (Beauty of Leafland x Hazeldean).

Bye gads this was one beautiful rose in the late evening sun - lovely apricot-peach hue in the sunset (R. altiaca and Harrison yellow in it though I call it a pimpinefolia hybrid). Rumoured to repeat.

Gorgeous, and the pictures do not do it justice in my opinion for the apricot glow ... also the pruning is in error as was the tag that labeled it Lambert Closse (sorry folks not even close - got that one myself).

I think besides the look of it, that because the college put it in the most centre focal point of the garden it has to be his Prairire Peace. Eskine (deceased) lived a long fly cast from the lake I was fishing at in zone 2 and about an hour from the college. Probably a focal point to honour a local legend in bullet hardy rose hybridizing.

If it is not his rose it sure is one unusual apricot pimpinefolia as I never heard of one myself - never seen one until today.

Satan tempted me when I bushed the canes apart and saw a nice vigorous sucker just begging to be removed to my garden ... but alas I could not bring myself to stoop so low for a rose.

Glad I got two of these from his home town champion of his roses - be retirement before I get them the size below).

The explorers, mordens and european alba seem to have been beaten up nicely by winter. However Theresa was doing well as were R. Glauca and also two beautiful Double Blush Burnets.

Long live private prairie hybridizers lads as they have/are always on top of it for the rose nut zoners.

Erskine's Prairie Peace ?

{{gwi:274946}}

{{gwi:274948}}

{{gwi:274950}}

{{gwi:274952}}

{{gwi:274953}}

{{gwi:274954}}

{{gwi:274955}}

Comments (9)

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

That's so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Is the website still up somewhere that was made by Erskine's neighbor to celebrate his roses? (It had that infamous description of his hybrids from one year being wiped out by a moose.)
    I have to wonder if that makes fertile hips. I agree with the spinosissima/pimpenifolia on this one; the buds are so distinctive. And from the background roses, it's got to be one of the earliest bloomers in their garden-that fits as well.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

The websites are still up about the man and his roses.
    The link below takes you to Robert Erkine. Links on that page are to two pages of his roses (and definitely support Riku's call on the identification of the roses.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Erskine

• joan_m
    15 years ago

I agree, the pictures (but not the bottom two) do look like my Prarie Peace. It gives a second bloom cycle shortly after the spring flush, but doesn't repeat after that, despite my long growing season. It only sets a few hips.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

These are two lovely roses but I'd love to know the name of the second one. You alluded to Theresa and I wondered whether you meant Therese Bugnet and whether that was a picture of it. Since I grow Terry, however, the color in your photo seems too light a pink to be that rose. At any rate, they're both glorious.

Ingrid

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    15 years ago

I never heard of 'Prairie Peace.' That one has pimp sap in it for sure -- look at those leaves. Hardy roses of that color are pretty rare, especially ones that repeat.

Ingrid, i was wondering about the second rose. It's not ''Therese Bugnet,' though.

• leo_prairie_view
    15 years ago

It looks very much like 'Prairie Peace' to me. You will not have to wait very long for yours to be a good size. I planted mine in 2005, just a rooted stick and now I am looking straight out a window a half story up at mine. It is covered with bloom all 7 or 8 feet of it.
    The only hardy rose that comes close to it in colour is 'Praire Magic' which also has Hazeldean as one parent but the other side is a complex Morden mix so it is not so clearly spinosissima. This is the first year it has bloomed for me so I can't say anything about its size but the colour is more definitely apricot.
    Considering the second winter you had this spring it is amazing that anything came through for you. I am eagerly waiting for my first European OGR, Alba Minette to bloom. It had no die back over the winter and is full of bud now.
    Leo

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Magic

• joan_m
    15 years ago

The color of PP is temperature sensative. Sometimes blooms are more apricot, sometimes more pink.

• joan_m
    15 years ago

When I said PP was sometimes more pink, the rose in the last 2 pictures is *too* pink. I wonder if the second rose might be Suzanne???

• riku
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi folks,

Glad you enjoyed the photographs. Hopefully I was able to transfer my excitement at seeing for the first time a rose I had heard of, but never seen the blooms in real life. They are definitely more than I hoped for when I saw their color, but again as some have cautioned it is one moment in time and a particular spring for temps rain etc so color change is no doubt possible. But gads a new bloom colored apricot - peach rose totally hardy, going 6 to 8 feet and cloaked well in blooms in zone 2 and 3 ... me, I have died and gone to heaven. My ones in the garden are surprizing me as Leo suggested they would. I had a crooked eye when I received them because of my limited experience with suckers, but they are flourishing after about 4 weeks in the ground, along with Suzanne, Butterball and Haida (sp?).

The beautiful and graceful pink did not have a label that I could find but it had the genes to me of a pimpinefolia due to the leaves and form. However I now believe it to be too double to be "double blush burnet" as mine is definitely not that double and is 5 or 6 years old.

There was also a near pure white semi-double "pimpinefolia" just beginning to bloom with no tag that I need to go back and check when the college is in business hours ... got to find the curator and get a map.

I know 4 or 5 years ago I received, or saw a map, of the gardens in some periodical where they were advertizing an open house and rose sale. I have to dig more as a fast pick of google did not find it.

By the way I finally got the first official blooms in my garden today of "previous years plants". First was Cornhill's Mary of Scots" that is not totally cane hardy for me(lose half the length of the new canes) and Theresa Bugnet - every year I appreciate the latter rose more and more. For some reason primula is very slow this year but as usual excellent cane survival - nada damage except maybe an inch on the tips of 5 foot canes - in a year that smacked the mordens and explorers - don't get me wrong I like those roses but there more 4 to 5 zone ones to me.

My further excitement is the - not hardy - Geschwind's Orden had enough canes left and it will give a nice bloom this year along with De la Grifferaie. Both after only the first winter.