Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
predfern2

Which OGRs for zone 5a

15 years ago

I have decided to increase the number of OGRs that I grow. Vintage Gardens is very cagey about zone recommendations and helpmefind is all over the map (lacks credibility). Which OGRs in the following list will survive without winter protection in zone 5a?

American Beauty

Arrillaga

Comte de Chambord

Delambre

Gloire de Ducher

Indigo

Mrs. F.W. Sanford

Nuria de Recolons

Paul Neyron

Reichsprasident von Hindenburg

Sydonie

Edith de Murat

Kathleen Harrop

Kronprincessin Viktoria (near east wall?)

Mme. Ernest Calvat

Mme. Pierre Oger

Maggie

Mystic Beauty

Clotilde Soupert

Roses must be fragrant and repeat. I already have some OGRs. The above list is taken from RU offerings.

Comments (11)

• 15 years ago

I grow some of these...(all own root)
    Kathleen Harrop...tough rose, thornless, dies down but comes back nicely.
    Clotilde..comes flying out of the ground every spring..it does ball in wet weather, but i keep growing it because when it's good, it's wonderful..beautiful bloom and scent..i don't mind deadheading the brown balls, but if you do, then it's probably not going to be the rose for you..usually only balls in the fall here.
    paul neyron..i'm only in the second year for this rose, but it has come back fast and is doing great so far.
    Kronprincessin...may not be a good choice,(at least own root)..last year it had 2 canes that shot up to about 7 feet, and 1 bloom..this year it had died down to the ground, and has 1 shoot of growth coming from the ground that is about an inch high..time will tell, but i may be sending it to a more southerly garden someday soon!
    if i could make a couple of suggestions for ogr's that do well for me and have scent, i would suggest souvenir du dr. jamain ..really strong rose, pretty, and scented..
    charles lawson...strong rose, strong scent, grows well here
    good luck, donna

• 15 years ago

Comte De Chambord is hardy and fragrant , though gets blackspot and other fungal problems, you will have to spray, I still have it even though I dont spray.

Mme. Pierre Oger is a silvery / pink translucent beauty, to me one of the most stunning roses ever created, however she to had a lot of issues, plus aphids adored it like no other rose in my garden, it died after 3 or 4 years, but was never healthy, plus was on dr huey root stock, something I wont use any longer. Its either own roots or multiflora for me in my new garden.

• 15 years ago

Sydonie is an outstanding rose, very reliable. Superb fragrance as well.

I recently added Mme Ernst Calvat to the garden. I also grow Mme Isaac Pereire and it has done very well, with very good repeat bloom and superb fragrance.

I have three Mme Pierre Ogers and love them. Dieback can vary somewhat from year to year, but they have done well. Exceptional fragrance.

Comte de Chambord has lovely fragrance, and hardy.

Reich von Hindenburg has grown like a Hybrid Tea in my garden setting, it's somewhat tender.

Mystic Beauty and Clotilde Soupert, also, I grow these as small bedding roses, not as hardy as some of the longer caned Bourbons.

• 15 years ago

Mystic Beauty, Kronprincessin Viktoria, and Edith de Murat are culturally the same-- not cane hardy at zero, short growers, constant bloomers.

Donna's KpV must be mislabeled or a climbing sport; shoots of KpV are 1-2 feet long, not 7'.

Roses Unlimited goes in for southern OGR. You might want to look at Ashdown or Pickering.

• 15 years ago

Mme Pierre Ogers I avoided the leaves =)... IT really is a beautiful rose, maybe yours wouldnt be so deseased as the one I got...

{{gwi:261175}}

• 15 years ago

Gallicas, Portlands, Centifolias, Rugosas, Hybrid Perpetuals, some Bourbons and Polys. Stay away from Teas and Chinas.

Our winters aren't as hard, but we have late freezes that just wipeout canes, causes canker, etc. Clotilde Soupert has survived beautifully. I lost KpV after two years, Sydonie is unshakeable, Comte Chambord and Indigo have been slow growers for me, but are unphased by bad weather. Mmes Calvert&Oger do well, too.

• 15 years ago

michaelg...after you posted that about my kronprincessin, i looked it up, and you're right..it shouldn't have huge canes like that! if it blooms this summer i will research it, to see what it really is. it came from a reputable own root supplier, so there is the chance that is is mislabeled, or like you said, a sport...whatever it is, it doesn't like my climate and will probably be moving south soon. Thanks for the observation...Donna

• 15 years ago

You didn't specify which OGR's you currently have but here is the list of my favorite repeat bloomers:

Rose de Rescht/Portland (sp?) - incredible fragrance, good repeat bloom, nice disease resistance, I feel like I can rely on this rose every year.

Baron Provost (HP) - Lovely bloom, hardy, good disease resistance (he's in a ideal location). A non-demanding rose.

(La) Reine Victoria - Another trust worthy member of my thorny gang. Repeat blooming is a bit sparse but it could be the location and not the rose.

that's all I can think of for now.

Karol

• 15 years ago

One more I forgot:

Mrs. John Laing - Didn't like east wall near house with morning sun, dwindled to one small cane. I transplanted to west (front) of house where it gets more sun. Still small but leafing out and budding. I will give it every advantage. This rose sounds good on paper. If it doesn't work then I will not get Mrs. F.W. Sanford.

• 15 years ago

Not sure if rugosas count as OGR's, but if you're looking for hardy, my Blanc Double de Coubert didn't lose more than an inch of cane this winter, and is already in the midst of her big spring flush (big for a two year old, anyway)--she's about two or three weeks ahead of everyone else. Somewhat of a slow grower, but not losing any ground each winter. And very fragrant. Marie Pavie (if you're considering polyanthas) also came back very well, one of my earliest to leaf out, and is full of buds and starting to bloom--I am impressed. She might be too similar to your Marie Daly, but she's fragrant, at least.