Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jv44

Amethyst blooming

jv44
10 years ago

My first flower from this one--it's a grafted obesum from Rinoa named Amethyst. It's hard to believe how they'll bloom like this under fluorescent lights!

Comments (9)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is quite beautiful. I remember seeing Rinoa's listing of Amethyst.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Stunning!
    Gill UK

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Love the color on that one!!

Mark

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

That is beautiful. Paula

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second flower opened last night.....as the first one is on it's last legs. But there's 6 more buds, two are going to open within a day or two. See how the edges of some of the leaves are brown/yellow and dried up? At the end of summer when I brought all my adeniums inside for the winter all of my larger, blooming-size plants started to go into dormancy.....until I realized I had just enough room under my T5 fluorescent lights for them to join all my little seedlings. This stopped dormancy for them but the leaves that started to die off were already yellowed.....and they persist on the plants as the new leaves came in vigorously.

Thanks for all the compliments---the flower may not be EXACTLY like the original photo.....but it's not far off. And it's the first time it has bloomed. Subsequent flowers may be different somewhat as we all know. All I can say is that I'm very happy with this beauty......and I still have "violet Heart" (also from Rinoa) that hasn't bloomed yet.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

It is a stunning color any way you look at it. May not be exactly as Rinoa has pictured, but it is not to say it will not on next blooming cycle.
    I think with photo's it is very tuff to know.

Wonderful Christmas show.
    Rick

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's very true, Rick, subsequent bloomings are usually somewhat different....like if it chooses to flower this summer while it's outside in full sunlight I'm sure it won't be excatly as you see it here growing under fluorescent lighting.

So here's a new photo with three flowers open at once....

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Mike,
    That bloom is changing all the time and looking very much the same as which Rinoa shows. Actually, I like the color of yours much better.
    Nice plant. Congrats. I am envious.
    Rick

• Neysa
    10 years ago

pretty flowers