Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roonberger_gw

Need help identifying tree

Roonberger
10 years ago

I have a tree growing in my backyard and would like to know what it is. Here is a picture of some leafs I pulled off. This is the second year of growth and it is already over 40 inches tall.

Thanks for any help

Comments (6)

• Roonberger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full picture of the tree

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

seems to be a poplar but I could be wrong
    fast growing, weak wooded trees that most here wouldn't recommend for normal suburban (seems to be the case) yards

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

was it a rogue seedling.... from the white carp that coats the whole area in spring.. if so .. a cottonwood ...

no tree that grow that fast.. should be within 50 feet of a house... due to what he said...

ken

• Roonberger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! After googling cottonwoods, I have a strong belief it is an Eastern Cottonwood.

It was a rogue seedling, just popped up in the backyard. Thank you for the advice, I will move the tree to a more safe distance.

Thanks again! I really wanted to figure this out

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If same kind of tree is nearby could be a root sucker. This is more likely than a seedling surviving in a lawn - if the grass is where it first came up.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I will move the tree to a more safe distance.

===>>> you are not hearing what we are saying...

i understand the glory of growing your own tree...

but this thing is a weed.. a menace.. and a nuisance..

GET RID OF IT .... before it costs you money ...

and if you want to grow some trees from seed.. track down a source of acorns ... or any other quality tree that grows in WI ... plant an heirloom.. not a future problem ....

what i tell my daughter all the time.. honey.. that weed is not precious ... lol ...

ken

ps: and the deadline for removal ... is one season short of you having to pay someone to remove it ....

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company