Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wjs1820

Briggs 17.5HP Intek OHV single - rebuilt but wont run

wjs1820
11 years ago

A friend of mine has a Craftsman LT-1000 thats at least 5 years old. He threw the connecting rod in it and asked me for help. I replaced all the broken parts (connecting rod, timing gear, sump tube, new gaskets and seals)cleaned it out and put it all back together, now it cranks but wont run. My timing marks are perfect. (double checked it already at the cost of a new gasket) I didn't do a valve job as they seated well and compression felt strong. Adjusted my valve lash to .002 and put the engine back in. It cranks fast and smooth but wont run. I haven't touched the carb (other than checking to see if the bowl had fuel and if it appeared clean. both were good) or the governor arm as it ran before the connecting rod broke. I've checked for all the basics and there's new gas in the tank. It backfired at first and tried to start as if the timing was off. (Exhaust pipe got hot but no go) Hence, why I opened it to double check the timing marks. Now I cant even get it to backfire. The only difference between the first attempt to now is a new E3 spark plug (never heard of this brand before but its supposed to be more efficient) and the valve lash adjustment. Spark is strong and it flodded out on the second attempt. I just cant figure this one out. The engine model/type is 31H777 0297E1.

Appreciate any help or direction you can give.

Thanks, Bill

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions