Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karate626

Tree ID please. Pics included.

karate626
12 years ago

I have a tree that has a low (30 feet) spreading canopy. It flowers (nothing too amazing) and has seeds in little packets/lantern like things. They are easy to grow from seed because I have numerous seedlings underneath of it and I have not cared for at all. Here are some pics below.

{{gwi:362501}}

{{gwi:362503}}

{{gwi:362505}}

I can take additional pictures if needed. Thanks!

T.J.

Comments (8)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Someone on another forum recently asked about these and I asked whether she wanted to pick seedlings out of her garden all the time - good timing... Koelreuteria paniculata.

Dan

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

LOL!! I had one of these in my old garden.......nary a seedling to be seen!!

I think my PNW summers not hot enough to encourage heavy fruiting and seeding.....not necessarily the case elsewhere.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Seedlings galore in Georgia! I finally cut mine down.

• karate626
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick replies! The seedlings would be a nuisance if it were in my yard. Luckily it is in the back of my woods so it doesn't bother me to much. I think it is actually a pretty tree. It looks kind of graceful to me. If you guys are good at IDing pine/fir trees or perennials I have a post in the conifer and the perennial forums also.

Thanks again!
    T.J.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I've seen seedlings popping up in the thin turf of a Seattle parking strip.

its seedlings are weedy

--Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

The good news about Koelreuteria paniculata (goldenrain tree) is that, even though it may be weedy, it has not proven to be really invasive in most areas. Even in areas where it is considered to be an invasive, it is only mildly so, from what I can tell.

It's always a good idea to check your state's invasive species list before choosing any plant you are not completely familiar with. Koelreuteria paniculata has not been reported to be invasive in Maryland.

• karate626
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats what I'm seeing Brandon. I have maybe 5 small seedling/saplings in the undergrowth underneath of my large one. And if I desired (I don't for now) I could always weed-wack those. It must be capable of self fertilization as I only have one large one. I think it is a very attractive tree. It blends well in my yard which is composed of woodland forest.

T.J.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

TJ,

You may already be completely aware of this, but just in case you're not, invasiveness doesn't necessarily correspond to what you can see in your own yard. In other words, a plant could be extremely invasive (environmentally damaging by displacing native flora and fauna) and still not express serious aggressive tendencies in your yard. Seedlings could be eating your neighbors woods up without appearing in your own yard. Aggressive plants are not necessarily invasive (even if exotic), and invasive plant don't always appear (at least in the immediate vicinity of the plant) aggressive.

The only reason I mention this is because you said that's what you had been "seeing". I'm not saying I think you have anything to worry about in the case of this species.