Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

Here are the roses I just ordered

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I have not been able to find anything in the local nurserys so have to go online to find what I want. Most of what they sell around me are pink or red knock out roses. I'm so tired of seeing the same roses everywhere and I already have 2 red rose bushes so wanted something more colorful.

I know these are own-root which is what I wanted and I know they will take awhile to be in their full glory. Probably 2 years but that doesn't matter to me.

Anyway, here is what I ordered from heirloom roses.. Polkaâ¢î and Just Joeyî which I bought to eventually plant near a lace leafed Japanese maple bush. I thought the pretty peachy copper color of the roses would be a nice accent to the deep reddish orange of my maple. One is a climber and the other will be a nice bush and both are continuous bloomers. The last rose bush I ordered is the Fragrant Plum. This will go near my purple butterfly bush and a deep dark plumish colored clematis. Eventually I plan on filling in these flower beds with some white low growing flowers of some sort to make the colors of the roses really pop.

Does anyone have any photos of these roses that are established and showing how you exhibit them? I live in an old Victorian house in a historic part of my town so am going to plant the climber out front next to that maple and have a trellis put up when its ready for it to climb and take off.

I'm so excited. I just can't find these stunning colors in my area. To finally find colors I love to me is like Christmas morning lol I don't even care that I'll have to wait a couple of years before getting to see the full glory of these roses.

Comments (9)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

You can go over to the "Rose Gallery" forum and search by name to see photos. Also, you can use helpmefind.com/roses, use the search function, and there are tabs for each roses with photos submitted by users. Good luck with your roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Search at Helpmefind.com

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Diane_nj I'll do that now. :D

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I've had Just Joey for several years, and she's a good rose for me here. She will blackspot some if you don't spray in our high humidity, but almost all roses do here, and she seems sensitive to our drastic temp changes in late winter/early spring. I don't have much dieback with most of my roses over winter, but JJ will have some when temps drop after a warm, sunny spell back to the cold dreariness late winter/early spring. She recovers easily once the temps stabilize. Her color varies...sometimes very peachy, sometimes creamy apricot and sometimes very coppery...doesn't really seem weather dependent...just whatever shade she decides to bloom that cycle. She's a beautiful rose, but evidently not very photogenic for me...I looked through my pics and don't really have one that does her justice.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

I haven't grown any of those, but the color schemes sound so gorgeous!

I like planting with color schemes, and this year it's really paid off. Things are blooming all together now that the beds are more mature, and I just love how the colors do :)

I like white, too, as a base color. And silver is great as well. I just added lambs' ears and I'm so excited to see them do well by the roses :) That's a plum and mauve-to-pink bed, in fact. No room for a butterfly bush, though. That would be pretty!

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@meredith_e i haven't had time in past years to do much in my yard. This summer I'm taking off from my studies so I'm getting my front and back garden into shape. Hopefully once I graduate and go to work I'll be able to keep up my garden. I've always wanted to have everything in a color scheme and I'm finally doing it. I also have a small pond with a water fall that has mostly ferns, vine type plants and pansies growing around it right now with a pretty bleeding heart bush on one side. So the pansies all have pinks and reds in them to go with the bleeding heart bush.

Isn't gardening relaxing? I only wish my mother would have let me do some gardening with her. I probably would have learned a lot from her. She always yelled at me to get out of her flowers because she said I didn't know what I was doing. Unlike my mother, I always ask my daughter if she would like to help. She'll help me plant and then takes photos since she is into all forms of art. She then takes those photos and will either print them out or paint what she photographed. She's been working on a beautiful pastel chalk drawing for awhile now. I can't wait till its done. I showed her some online photos of the roses I just purchased and she is as excited as I am but not for the same reasons. She wants to photograph and paint them.

10 years ago

Oh, that's wonderful! Kids are just wonderful in gardens, and it's such quality time unless the adult isn't thinking about the kids much. My dad was the same way as your mom, and now I'm teaching him how to look at the wildlife, etc., while gardening. It's such a kick seeing him look past the chore aspect and enjoy himself in a garden. My mom was sweet about me gardening with her, and I remember those times well :)

Your pond garden sounds awesome! I want a little pond feature one day, when I've finished with the other beds. I almost think it's more fun designing and seeing the new surprises than being finished with an area, lol!

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pond is a never ending project. I keep adding to it every year. None of those ornamental do dads. Just landscaping. Now I want to find a miniature rose bush that will go nicely near the pond. Problem is I only have one small corner by that pond that gets sun. The entire pond is under a tree. Having the pond in the shade helps keep the algae growth down although not completely. I do use the pond water now and then to water my rose bushes and they love it!! Boy do they take off after a watering with stinky fish water lol Guess it helps that the PH is usually between 6 and 7 which I understand is what roses love.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 18:27

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

oh how exciting. Those are going to be gorgeous! I hope they do really well for you. you gardens sound beautiful.

10 years ago

Small rose bushes that do well in (some) shade in my garden are Marie Pavie (or is mine Mary Daly?) and the Towne & Country series of groundcovers by Poulsen (hard to get now in the US).

Marie is thornless, so that's nice by a pond!