Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie101lt1

Nails in soil and ash.Garden or compost?

newbie101lt1
14 years ago

My mother in law has a great big pile of ash from there stove they burnt wood for years.Alot of the wood must had a lot of nails in it.The pile is full of nails and ash and dirt.You should see the size of the weeds growing in this stuff.Question is would this be safe to screen it and use it in the garden.Or add some to the compost pile in layers after screening out the nails? Theres prolly 5 yards of this stuff

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

If you want to just get rid of the pile of trash ash, yes, use it. It's probably leached out the strongly alkaline stuff, otherwise you wouldn't see anything growing in it.

Instead of screening out the nails - they fall through the screen - use a really strong magnet to collect them.

• newbie101lt1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks.never thought of the magnet

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

I burn a lot of scrap wood in my woodstove and I do the magnet thing with the nails. They go into the scrap metal box and get recycled. Or, if I'm stressed out I chew them.

• jean001
    14 years ago

The wood ash is very alkaline.

Because we don't know where you live, no one can say if wood ash is safe for your soil.

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

It may not be very alkaline now, if it's been out in the weather for years. Depends on how fresh it is.

• newbie101lt1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its been out there for years there's at least 5 or more cubic yards of it

• newbie101lt1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry here in ohio. sw ohio