Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn08_gw

Which Roses Do Not Drop Petals?

lynn08
15 years ago

Hello

I am trying to figure out why some of my roses drop petals on spent blooms and some do not. My two hybrid teas (gold medal and artistry) typically drop thier petals if I don't get outside to deadhead them fast enough. My other roses do not drop thier petals on spent blooms. My other teas don't (volumptuious and double delight) not does my floribunda (outrageous). I am considering replacing the artistry (maybe) and gold medal (definitally), and I really want to find roses that don't shed petals. I have tried to do web research with no luck. Is it just a luck of the draw?

Comments (23)

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

I've never heard of a rose that doesn't shed petals....although I DO know that some blooms last much longer than others. For instance, my Rose de Rescht blows her petals almost as soon as she starts to fade. On the other hand, my Chihuly will hold her petals for days and days after the blooms have drooped and faded. They have to be VERY dry before the Chihuly petals fall.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

(Double Delight is a hybrid tea, too.)

Rose flowers that don't drop their petals can turn into brown mush right there on the top of the bush where the flower used to be.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I know my 'Black Bacarra' petals will hang on and turn brown and continue to hang on for two months or more--the back of the plant is hard for me to access and I don't do a good job of deadheading that one.

You certainly want to stay away from the David Austin roses, which are all petal droppers. DA deliberately selects for that trait, because in the cool misty UK climate, if the petals do not drop you end up with fuzzy grey masses of botrytis.

• aegis1000
    15 years ago

Knockout does not drop.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

You WANT your blooms to "self-clean" by dropping faded petals.

As Hoovb and York Rose said: Roses that do not drop their petals become very unsightly.
    'Perfect Moment' is one of those offenders.
    For a "moment," it is perfect, and lovely.
    Then, very quickly, it turns into an unsightly brown GLOB.

Give me roses which self-clean!
    Most of them will repeat even if I don't get around to deadheading them.

Jeri

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

What Jeri said.
    I look for roses that self-clean themselves by dropping their petals.
    It's a desirable trait to me.
    But best of luck in your search. If I knew what part of the country you live in, I could make a couple of recommendations to you for roses that hang on to their petals through thick & thin.

Randy

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

aegis500, from zone 5, stated
    "Knockout does not drop."

My Knock Outs in zone 5 drop their petals as do all of my other 400 rose bushes. Some hold longer but eventally all of them drop. The few that hang on longer soon become washed out and are removed.

• lynn08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice, but I definitally know that I WANT roses that do not drop thier petals quickly. I have grown this same set for several years~ I am not saying I want the spent blooms on forever- what I am saying is that I want them to stay on long enough for me to deadhead. Their end of the flower bed stays messy with petals. The last bushes (double delight, volumptuious, and outrageous) hang on quite awhile, no problems waiting till I get out there to deadhead. They are not unslightly at all, as a matter of fact, they are the prettiest.

I live in TN zone6.

Thnx!

• estreya
    15 years ago

Avoid carpet roses. I have carpet roses i deadhead every evening or the petals are all over the place the following morning. At times, fastidiousness is a curse, is it not? :) In truth, that evening time is usually very relaxing and restorative to me, although there are nights when i admit to having to force myself to do it.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

The greater the number of petals the longer they will stay.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    15 years ago

Lynn, I know what others are saying here, because I too want the petals to drop,...eventually. But I do want great staying power. Alec's Red is one gorgeous light red rose with fat blooms that often don't drop their petals. Occasionally the petals fall but even then its after a very long time.
    My only rose that NEVER drops its petals is the mini-flora Memphis Magic, which is nearly floribunda-size. The color is deep black-cherry red, and not only do the petals not fall, but they maintain their shape indefinitely, too. The color, however, does change, into a sort of dark wood-brown color, but it takes 2 or 3 weeks to do that. These flowers have great form and phenominal staying power. Even strong wind seldom seems to dislodge those petals. I tend to leave them on the bush until the next crop are preparing to bloom. From the street people don't see that the flowers are so old.

btw, Alec's Red is intensely fragrant. Memphis Magic has no fragrance whatsoever.

• catsrose
    15 years ago

York,
    I had a good laugh at your description. I went out the other morning after a thunderstorm the night before and every rose that hadn't dropped its petals in the wind looked like it was topped in day-old chocolate ice cream. It reminded me of when I was kid and one of my chores was to crawl under the camellia bushes and clean out the brown, slimy dead camellias.

• lynn08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mike, I will definitally look into Alec's Red and Memphis Magic when I revamp my bed this fall.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

So basically what you want are roses that don't blow fast...

I'll agree that Chihuly, Black Bacarra, Memphis Magic, and Memphis Music maintain their petals FORever...

Others that don't blow too fast here are

America
    Chicago Peace
    Denver's Dream
    Eureka
    Fabulous!
    Fame!
    French Lace
    good 'n plenty
    Ingrid Bergman
    Lavaglut
    Nancy Reagan
    playgold
    Sexy Rexy
    tournament of roses
    trumpeter
    william shakespeare 2000
    Yves Piaget

Often roses that last a long time in the vase will also last a long time on the bush... so searching for 'cutting' roses will be helpful to you also...

Also, roses will lose their petals faster in the heat... so some that only last a couple of days now will last longer in the spring and fall...

Lastly, some roses simply change color (get darker or lighter) and stay on the bush... That would be the case with WS2000 for instance... It turns dark purple and then darker still but doesn't fall off... Many darker Austins have that quality... Lavaglut turns black after 1 to 2 weeks, but the petals stay put...

You can often tell which flowers blow fast because they are surrounded by hordes of petals that are fresh looking (i.e. Westerland, Midnight blue, Purple Heart etc...) and not crinkled and brown...

There are specific roses (i.e. Sunsprite) that have a reputation for being fast blowers... stay away from those

• mdseagull
    15 years ago

For me, Belinda's Dream, Black Jade, and Raven hold onto their petals beyond the point of beauty.

• mdseagull
    15 years ago

I wish they all did that Jim, self cleaning roses are fantastic!

• mary_rockland
    6 years ago

I am facing the same situation. I enjoy that roses "clean" themselves, but some flowers seem to open and then blow away the next day. I'd like to have a rose sit on my plant to enjoy for a few days before it flies away or is otherwise "done". Is there something in general in the "type" of rose? For me I'm in zone 4-5 so it's not the heat.
    Do hybrid teas hold their flower petals the longest and hardy things like the Explorer series drop them fastest? Would the longest to least be hybrid tea, grandiflora, floribunda, then hardy explorer/rugosa? Does it have something to do with petal texture too? There should be some general rule to know in advance when you purchase. Just guessing here if others have experience to share. I too am looking for roses that last on the plant for more than just a few days.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

I have noticed that roses that have thick petals , hold on to them and don't blow or drop . St.Patrick , Memorial Day , Double Delight ,Moonstone are some of mine that I have to cut off to deadhead .

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Sugar Moon, Dark Desire, Margot Koster and Orlean polyanthas all keep their blooms seemingly forever and barely lose their colour either.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Yes, I'd agree that the degree to which a rose hangs onto its petals is more a matter of petal structure and genetics of the rose than the type of rose per se. Stiff, high substance petals (like Dream Come True) can last in their bloom form until the whole bloom falls apart and that can be several days. Anything that is considered good for cutting or a "florist" or "exhibition" rose tends to hang onto its petals longer than those that do not. While more HTs are considered florist roses than other types, that doesn't necessarily mean that HTs as a class are better at hanging onto their petals in general - it's just because the buying public expects that form in their cut roses. One of the most lasting blooms I can think of is Acropolis, which I think is a shrub. Still, the blooms stay on the bush forever and eventually age to a very pleasant parchment tone of pink after maybe 10 days.

If you're looking for roses that don't blow quickly you really just have to check around within the types of roses. Like everything else in rose growing (e.g. black spot resistance, bloom frequently), blowing quickly varies a lot among roses within a certain class. Some subtypes of roses like Austins have a reputation for blowing quickly, but as mentioned above they were bred for this so that's not surprising. Even among these, I find that Austins like Molineux or Darcey Bussell hang onto their petals pretty well, at least average times.
    Cynthia

• Di Ratuove
    4 years ago

Hi, so this Was a rose that I picked from someones garden oops. I didn’t have a case so I put in in a bottle and petals withered but never falls. photo of them the 2nd day I got it and two weeks Later it’s withered without a single petal falling.

• HU-115404636
    5 months ago

I also have a Red rose that was given to me 6months ago and still hasn't dropped one petal. Is that possible?