Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lois3787

African violets

lois3787
13 years ago

I have three types of violets growing on my window sill in rectangular metal pots. They are thriving and they are blooming. I feed them properly and use plant food. However, the leaves of these plants are ridiculously long and unsightly looking. They are outgrowing the windowsill, yet the plants are blooming very well. The stems of the leaves are very, very long...on all three of the different varieties I have. They did not start out that way, but have grown that way. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Lois -

what is "too long"? I presume you are growing standard size AVs - which can normally have a diameter of 8-16".

My best guess - not enough light. Usually if it is too much light - the plants are bunched up with short leaf stalks, if it is not enough light - the spread their leaves to collect as much light as possible to provide for the growth and blooming. Since they are happily blooming - it works.

Nothing wrong will happen if you remove the very outer row of leaves. They become large and tired with time - and I usually remove them when repotting. The normal ratio of diameter of the pot to leaf span 1:3 - so if your plants are more - take the extra leaves off

It is the most probable cause and solution.

You have 3 varieties - and there are more than 15000 registered violets. Some of them have a tendency to have longer petioles - leaf stalks - than others. Some of them belong to the category "LARGE" - they have a potential to grow beyond 16". So if somebody is into setting the records - they are the ones that will grow to 26" if treated right.

Good Luck

Irina

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Lois -

what is "too long"? I presume you are growing standard size AVs - which can normally have a diameter of 8-16".

My best guess - not enough light. Usually if it is too much light - the plants are bunched up with short leaf stalks, if it is not enough light - the spread their leaves to collect as much light as possible to provide for the growth and blooming. Since they are happily blooming - it works.

Nothing wrong will happen if you remove the very outer row of leaves. They become large and tired with time - and I usually remove them when repotting. The normal ratio of diameter of the pot to leaf span 1:3 - so if your plants are more - take the extra leaves off

It is the most probable cause and solution.

You have 3 varieties - and there are more than 15000 registered violets. Some of them have a tendency to have longer petioles - leaf stalks - than others. Some of them belong to the category "LARGE" - they have a potential to grow beyond 16". So if somebody is into setting the records - they are the ones that will grow to 26" if treated right.

Good Luck

Irina

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Sorry - managed to post the sma thing twice..

irina

• percystash
    13 years ago

Hi,

It could be that they are getting too much light too. If you say that you are getting blooms then it may be a case of too much light. You can test to see if your African Violets are getting the correct amount (more or less) by holding up your hand over the plants when the sun is shining on them. You should be able to see the shadow your hand makes but not feel heat on the back of your hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irrigation Equipment

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I just thought - you can regulate the size of the plant by the size of the pot. For example - your windowsill let's you have plants 10". So - no pots more than 3.5" and every time you repot - you remove outer leaves, cut 1/2 " of the root ball off - and plant back in the same size pot. This way you force the plant to stay smaller. If your beloved metal pots are bigger - you can use them as cashepots and decorate the top of the soil with a moss so the rim of the inner pot wan't be seen.

Irina

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH