Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Louise Odier or Mme. d'Enfert?

Molineux
14 years ago

I'm disappointed with MME. ERNEST CALVAT. Lovely flowers but the black spot has hit the foliage something fierce. She is the first rose to get it this year and I'm not too happy about that. I spray, but not every week. About once every two to three weeks. Thusly, through a process of elimination, I only keep roses that can handle that schedule and keep approximately 2/3 of its foliage.

La Madame de Shovel demands satisfaction!

So I'm thinking of replacing it with another Bourbon. Yes, yes I know - the Bourbons tend to be vunerable to black spot, but certainly there must be another cool pink Bourbon that can handle infrequent spraying? SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON, for example, handles it just fine.

So what about LOUISE ODIER or MME. D'ENFERT? Both are cool pinks with the gracefully arching bushes that I'm lusting after. As far as remontancy goes it doesn't have to keep up with say a Hybrid Tea, but some repeat is essential. I'm especially interested in Madame d'Enfert, which has Duchesse d'Auerstandt as a parent - a cultivar well known for its disease resistance.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments (8)

• geo_7a
    14 years ago

For me, Louise Odier is underwhelming. Puny, in growth & flower, in comparison to MIP (which, though as you say has some blackspot issues, this does not appear too deleterious).

The one I'm thinking about for next year is Mystic Beauty which, from what I hear, is pretty healthy for a bourbon.

• cincy_city_garden
    14 years ago

Louise Odier is the exact opposite for me, vigorous with trusses of perfectly formed blooms. Patrick, she stays clean for me with every 2 week spraying. I use the Bayer Advanced Disease Control.

I had Mme. d' Enfert on order from Ashdown, but it didn't look like it would be ready this year, so I got something else.

Eric

Eric

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

I have Mme d'Enfert and love her but she blooms late. The first roses in our garden are passing their flush and she is just now preparing to show color! She's extremely healthy, makes a moderate number of flowers and is very pretty. Wish I had a photo - will post one as soon as she opens up!

• catsrose
    14 years ago

LO has not done well for me here--lots of bs. In Santa Fe she was great, but I am finding bourbons don't like humidity. I'm giving up on most of them.

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

As far as looks go Madame d'Enfert is your kind of girl. My climate is different so I don't know about disease, though I would say she's a bit less prone than Madame Ernst.

• cweathersby
    14 years ago

I do not have MEC or MDE. Do have Louise Odier. When I did spray, this one did not keep 2/3 of leaves. But maybe that was just my perception, cause a tall lanky bourbon does not necessarily have lots of leaves even when healthy. But she looked awfully naked and did not repeat very often or very heavily.
    IMO, the blooms on LO, especially the ones after the spring flush, are not big and lucious enough to be worth the trouble of a bourbon.

• rjlinva
    14 years ago

I've not had good luck with Louise Odier.

You may want to consider Kathleen Harrop. It does much better on disease resistance for me, anyhow.

Robert

• predfern
    14 years ago

Louise Odier is very hardy and disease resistant for me. I got mine from Roses Unlimited about 4 years ago. Survives the winter just fine. Not much rebloom yet. It gets pretty tall. Fragrant but not intensely so. For some reason my roses don't get blackspot until September (and I don't spray). Rugosas and Rose de Rescht get it the worst.