Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

shingle oak

poaky1
13 years ago

Hello, I am a bit curious why Shingle oak is not very popular for planting as are pin, red, white (alba) and the others that are commonly found for sale. I have done some research and haven't found any info stating that for this or that reason they are inferior to the others. I would like to plant one,other than slow growth is there anything that deems them a problem tree?Thanks for any info, poaky1

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

it is the fasting growing oak in my yard.. as compared to my white, red, scarlet, black .. and one other that is escaping me right now ... robur ...

its an old wives tale that oaks are slow growing.. once established.. mine are doing 3 to 5 feet per year.. and that can not be beat by anything other than the alleged 'fast growing' bad trees ... in my z5.. MI

ken

• lkz5ia
    13 years ago

Just curious, if you can push your oaks to grow that fast, then wouldn't they have weaker wood from such fast growth?

• sam_md
    13 years ago

I saw one this Winter at the Barnes Foundation Arboretum in Philadelphia, there was snow on the ground and the tree had not shed its leaves. The foliage is kind of like an oak that wants to be a cherry, no lobes. Even though my state is within its native range, it is uncommon here. I've never known anyone to ask for it, it is relegated to the oak collection of the botanic garden. Isn't it usually associated mostly with Illinois/Missouri?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

i do not 'push' my oaks..

pure yellow mineral sand...

watered during the year of planting or transplant... and in drought the second year ...

no fert ...

no soil amendments...

only a nice mulch layer ...

free range in year 3 ...

the internal structure of soft wood versus hard wood should not really be affected by fertilizer ... IMHO

ken

• hortster
    13 years ago

My shingle oak is relatively quick, too, but withstood 3/4" of ice while holding all of its foliage. Other trees in the yard were destroyed. Interesting, ken, "pure yellow mineral sand..." - I have red and black clay. Must be tolerant of a wide range of soils. Back to the original question about the tree, most shingle oaks don't have spectacular fall color like some other species. Mine turns from green to yellowish to a dark coffee brown that holds all winter. Rake other leaves in the fall, this one again in the spring.
    hortster

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

I have a big one in my front yard doing just fine. So far all the big trees I've had to remove were about the age of the house. The Shingle Oak is outliving the silver maples by far and a couple of the white ash.

Far as reasons not to plant one....
    -Unspectacular fall color
    -No meaningful flowers
    -Large size means it doesn't fit everyplace

That said its an excellent shade tree, seems to be holding its branches well, grows fast. Before I moved it it survived at least the repaving of the driveway and some work on the DANGEROUSLY near by septic tank.

My oak is the on the far right. The yellow silver maple and the white ash showing its red fall colors have both either rotted away or began to split since the pic was taken 3 years ago. I notice the oak soldiers on even though its the big tree I take the least pictures of individually
    {{gwi:380247}}

13 years ago

Shingle Oak Trunk Today
    {{gwi:380248}}

Shingle Oak growing way taller than my white ash
    {{gwi:380250}}

• hortster
    13 years ago

What toronado3800 said. TOUGH tree. Beside laughing at the earlier ice, seemingly few pests (here in KS), acts as a year 'round screen between me and the neighbor, will easily outlive ash (esp. with the many borer problems) and silver maple, which should never have been offered in the trade. Shingle and chinkapin (got one of those, too) are underused but excellent trees. Go, Quercus!
    hortster

• poaky1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the replies and the photos of the trees, I asked a nursery online why it,s hard to find and they said that dead branches hold on the tree(bad self pruning)for a long time.Thats not so bad.Also bad fall color,overall tree not the best looking oak.From the pics on here they are a good looking tree.All I have to do now is find a place where I can get one. It,s hard to ID them cause of the cherry tree looking leaves don,t stand out.There is supposed to be one in a park 50-60 miles from me, it,s the champion shingle oak in Pa and I will try to find it this summer and go back in fall and get some acorns, there is an online nursery that has them but very expensive. thanks

13 years ago

Forest Farm offers them, not super expensive but only the tube size listed.

What state are you in poaky? I know Missouri offers mail order trees through the department of forestry. I just can't download their catalog off season and don't have a paper one right now.

Put up the picture of that champion tree when you get there, I'd love to see it.

I'll ship you acorns in the fall if you haven't found a source. Just let me know.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Aren't oaks difficult to transplant beyond a certain age? You could consider starting them from seed (esp if you're fairly young in age). Starting trees from seed is fun and they would grow fastest if planted as a youngster.

Btw, Pin oaks also hang onto dead branches forever. I've got a 50+ year old Pin oak that was limbed up to 25 feet during some construction 20 years ago (previous owner), and the lower row of branches is dead and has been hanging up there for the 8 years I've lived here. Impossible for me to prune them! Kind of annoying that it's constantly dropping little branches on the deck and feeder area. The birds love to perch in the dead branches though.

• hortster
    13 years ago

A thought: interior, dead branches that have been replaced on ALL trees with healthy, terminal foliage - what the heck does it matter that the dead branches fall off in 6 to 8 years? If it falls off in one to two years, WE STILL HAVE TO CLEAN IT UP! Should the tree be nixed because it is lazy and waits a while to shed? I think not. Puts off the work! Varmints live in the dead wood, do their jobs, birds perch. Called "Nature."
    hortster

13 years ago

Dead wood staying on the tree is a good thing

- it gives you time to get around to having it trimmed

- its a sign the tree is REALLY holding on to its live branches well

• poaky1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the replies,I saw on tyty website that the fall color is red looks vivid to me or showy, I have started some english oak from seed from ebay, I,ll be 40 this fall so if they grow fast I may see it get fairly big(the shingle also)I have 2 pin oaks too but they don,t have the dead branches as of yet.Tornado I may have to take you up on your offer this fall.Thanks

• poaky1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I messed up the website with the shingle oak wasdn,t tyty I can,t remember where I saw it