Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jones60_gw

Should deck be left up or down/winter

jones60
15 years ago

Have deere LT 160. In shed for winter. Should I leave the deck up or down?

Comments (13)

• nature_photog
    15 years ago

Leave the deck in the raised position.
    Doing so keeps tension off the drive belt.

---Mike

• mownie
    15 years ago

UP. This will also reduce the tension on any "lift assist" springs your deck might have, preventing them from weakening from being extended in the down position. The raised deck also allows for ventilation to the underside of deck to reduce rusting from condensation of water vapor from a soil or concrete surface that the tractor might be stored on.

• wheely_boy
    15 years ago

I usually keep my deck in whatever position it is comfortable in.

• metal
    15 years ago

I take mine off, but I am funny that way.

• johntommybob
    15 years ago

Posted by mownie (My Page) on Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 12:24
    "UP. This will also reduce the tension on any "lift assist" springs your deck might have, preventing them from weakening from being extended in the down position. The raised deck also allows for ventilation to the underside of deck to reduce rusting from condensation of water vapor from a soil or concrete surface that the tractor might be stored on."

I agree

• bill7
    15 years ago

Does this apply to a hydro lift as well? I lower it until it hits the stop (JD GX345).

• hbrmstr
    15 years ago

With my LT 160, I lower the deck to blocks; allows ventilation but reduces tension on lift mechanism.

• machiem
    15 years ago

I doubt it really matters.

• steve2ski
    15 years ago

Safety concerns says down or in a relaxed position on blocks. Same for all types of equipment.

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

On the Craftsman I leave it up. Dont really know why. Its a habit my dad taught me on my Grandmas John Deere 165(The one made in 1986).

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

I agree with the logic of Mownie's thoughts.

However, I keep mine down for the reasons Steve2ski says. I was taught to always lower implements before leaving the tractor for safety reasons.

• deerslayer
    15 years ago

Previous posts exhibit good logic, however, I doubt that it really matters.

I take mine off and install my snow blade. Problem solved.

-Deerslayer

• fisher40037
    15 years ago

We can tell it is winter, when we are discussing this............

Sorry.....

BTW, I have come back............

Hi, Old gang.....

This used to be a rocking site. A thread started, with no
    replies, would be on page 2 in a few hours.

Spike was cruel, but he kept a good site, then he /they sold out. If the owners have any sense at all, they will
    try to regain that atmosphere that they had.

For better or worse, I am back...............................................................................................................

Fish