Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehippygirl

Aponogeton Flower Photo

littlehippygirl
17 years ago

Sheesh this thing has flowered like 6 times in my aquarium. I finally got a decent pic and I wanted to share. Its aponogeton crispus.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/LittleHippyGirl9/My%20Garden/DSCN1337.jpg

Comments (16)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Good pic. I just cut a bunch away myself. I cant see my flowers unless I am feeding. The canopy is in the way. I have some bulbs in a bucket some where in my basement. I figured I'd try to see if they will come back. I can't remember where I put the damn thing though. One of the my favorite plants that flower is Cabomba. They get little white lily looking flowers. When they bloom I cut them and replant so they are inside the tank instead of floating on top.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    have you ever got it to produce seeds?? My lace plant A. madagascarensis has produced 3 flower stalks and now appears to have seeds. look like grains of rice but about half the size and pale green. They floated for a day or so and now have sunk to the bottom.
    Would love to see if i can germinate them but have no idea how to go about it.

gary

• littlehippygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, mine have never produced seeds. I have a couple more flowers comming up so I'm going to try and pollinate with a little feather. How'd you get yours to germinate seeds? Do you have a photo? Laces are so pretty :)

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Have no idea lol The plant had flower stalks when I got it on 3/20. These immediately died but were replaced by
    3 new ones. The flowers were a pinkish ,two pronged thing about two inches long covered with white fuzz that rose above the surface. This lasted about 3 days and was replaced by the rice-like things which broke free and floated for a day or so and then sank. Decided to just let them remain there and see what happens.
    The only camerea I have is a disposable and have not had it developed yet. Don't think it can focus that closely but had to try. If it comes out I'll show it.
    Have not had much luck with lace plants in the past but found a cheap source so figured what the heck. lol
    I used a top soil substrate with a thin layer of gravel in a 150 using rainwater. This tank is located in a shadehouse which is outside but didn't notice insects visiting the flower.
    Can't find any info on seed production lol
    I love the entire Aponogeton family except for the dreaded dormant period lol. That's where i lost most of them in the past.
    Have you found flowering a trigger for a dormant period with crispus?? I usually found that cripus would regrow eventually without me doing anything.
    gary

• woeisme
    17 years ago

One thing I found out about Lace madagascars is they like cooler water. I found out the hard way, instead of just reading about them. I bought some along with some replacement Crispus seeds/bulbs/tubers/whatever thinking I could just alternate them with dormant crispus. The lace started to wither and I figured they were going dormant so I threw them in the container with the dormant crispus. They perked up in a few days, so I put them back in the with the other plants. With in a few days they started to wither. I finally read the paragraph in the Aponogeton section and found they do best in cooler water less then 70F. My Crispus usually flower after the dormant period. They grow realy fast after dormancy and send the runners to the surface almost in front of your eyes. They do this and flower for about a month more or less. When they stop producing flowers is when the dormant stage is within a month, IME.

• littlehippygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't had them long enough to reach the dormant period. Mine is only....like 2 months old?

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    I've had crispus regrow after going dormant by just leaving them alone. Eventually they will start a new cycle.
    With the lace plant I've had them regrow but was very weak and eventually turned to mush lol Same was true with a dry rest period. The usual course was for the plant to be covered with algae ,they can't tolerate that at all.
    Woeisme What the heck is "cool" water?? I only have warm or very warm lol
    If anyone is interested there is quite a bit of info on the KRIB.
    gary

• ianna
    17 years ago

speaking of plants that flowered, my anubias nana flowered. It looks like an unfurled lily or anthurium.

Ianna

• edhall
    17 years ago

If you use root tabs with the Aponogeton family and feed the bulb yours should come back from sleeping no problem. Mine is three years old and flowers every year.

• edhall
    17 years ago

Here is photo of my Aponogeton flower

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:377006}}

• littlehippygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow ed, yours looks almost furry ^^

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    What type of Aponogeton is the pic?? The Magagascarensis looked similar but was a pinkishish color and then turned green.
    I'm getting some type of sprouts on the bottom and along the back of the tank. Way too small to tell what they are as yet. The lace plant was the only one that flowered but I also have crypts in the tank and they seem to pop up everywhere lol.
    Has anyone else got sprouts from your Aponogetons??
    Have you been able to get them to grow??
    gary

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Looks like curly to me.

• edhall
    17 years ago

You are so right gary, it is not Aponogeton madagascariensis I put in the flower for an Aponogetons Ulvaceus.
    Gary said: "Has anyone else got sprouts from your Aponogetons?? I have never got mine to produce plants yet but has produced lots of seeds. You may have to produce the envionment in madagascar. I have read some where that the ponds go thru a dry spell. The seeds may lay in the mud bottom and then dry out, rainy season comes and presto baby plants.
    If you can do it let me see....$15.00 on average per plant you can make some serious cash.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Since I only gave 4.50 for the original plant i suspect the profits are limited lol.
    Apparently madagascarensis is endemic to the western drainage of the SE mountain range. Seem to only occur in tributary rivers that are surpisingly cool since they originate at high altitude. They don't seem to dry up but the flow rate varies considerably. Another factor might be the limestone outcroppings.
    The sprouts are still too small to see what they are. Don't appear to have the holes that mature plants have but are only a quarter inch long.
    I suspect I'll lose them to the florida summer anyway.
    But it's been interesting to actually get sprouts lol
    gary

• edhall
    17 years ago

Great job Gary I hope that you are successful in getting some to grow for you.
    I found a photo of the Mag Lace flower, oh yea what this tread originaly was.

you can see the pink color in this photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:377008}}