Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzeprich

Red Climber for Partially Sunny Spot?

suzeprich
15 years ago

Smith & Hawken finally put my arch and trellis' on sale & I ordered it for my side yard, which is my next project. Below is the URL for the the trellis http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod490090p&categoryId=cat140050p

It's on the SE corner of the house & gets at least 3-4 hours of sun a day. I want to plant 4 red climbers, 2 per side. DA's catalog says Benjamin Britten can handle it, but their website suggests Tess of the D'Ubervilles, the color of which which I prefer. Do you have any other suggestions? Diane NJ, I know you aren't thrilled with DAs, which I love despite their flaws. I am open to suggestions. I am going to put the trellis in as soon as it arrives, followed by a line of boxwoods this fall, followed by the roses in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Link

Comments (13)

• lionessrose
    15 years ago

I have nothing but good to say about Ramblin' Red.
    I love mine.
    No die back, no disease, couldn't ask for a better climber.
    Check out the photo in this forum.
    WOW!
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0620250827964.html?16

• triple_b
    15 years ago

How tall would you want it to be? Dr. Jamain can get to be a good height apparently and he is dark red, luscious and fragrant and does not like too much sun.
    Check him out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr, Jamain

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Also check out hybrid musks, as they will take shade.

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

Dr. Jamain was a big disappointment to me: small flowers, poor rebloom, fragrance not as strong as I hoped.

I have part shade areas, but none of the roses that are doing well are red. I've found that single or double roses do better in part shade than do roses w/ more petals. I'd consider Altissimo, it is an older variety, but not an antique. My dad grows it no spray and it is amazing, pictures just don't do the thick, velvety petals justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Altissimo

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

My Dublin Bay grows and reblooms well in the shade of a plum tree.

• suzeprich
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! Altissimo is quite interesting, even to me, who loves a lotta petals. Lionessrose, is your Ramblin Red in Shade? The HMF database doesn't mention shade tolerance. I am hoping for a quicker grower than these DA's so I appreciate the ideas! The arch is up now, so planning continues!

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

This is more of a cherry red, but Dortmund does well in part shade, I've found. It also has quite beautiful foliage, very reminiscent of very shiny holly foliage.

--Ron

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

Hi suzeprich

I have climbing Etoile de Holande for it's red color, rebloom and not least of all fragrance. It will probably reach the top of your trellis the third summer after planting. It is one of my favorites.

I noticed the suggestion of Souvenir du Dr. Jamain and if this rose does well in you area it is fantastic. Will reach about 10 feet in my climate, at least up against a wall.

My best climber in a shady spot is Sympathie, blooms and reblooms very well with minimal sunlight, just a few hours in the morning. It grows fast and with the right pruning it will cover your trellis from top to bottom in large cluster of dark red roses. There is a light fragrance too, that fills the air when it is in full bloom, but I wish it was a bit stronger. It is very hardy and very fungus resistant. No matter how hard black spot can be some years this rose stays clean. It can get a bit leggy, but is easily prevented with good pruning and is a very vigorous grower. Flowers abundant no matter how the weather is like. Can easily be kept at around 9 feet or so but will grow very tall if allowed (20 feet no problem). I find this rose very easy to prune and shape.

These are my favorite red roses and well worth checking out.

Good luck with your rose search :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sympathie on helpmefind

• cemeteryrose
    15 years ago

I grow Dublin Bay in similar conditions and it repeats very well, although I wish it had some fragrance. A neighbor has All Ablaze in considerable shade and I'm surprised at how much bloom it has, and wonder how it would do if it got more sun. Altissimo is nice but grows straight up, and is stiff and hard to train, IMHO. Mine produced blooms about ten feet up, with very bare bottom canes. It bloomed ok on an east-southeast wall, and performed better once I began forcing the canes a bit horizontally, but I got tired of fighting it.
    Anita

• mysteryrose
    15 years ago

I have Laguna (Kordes 2004) growing in considerable shade. It has a strongish scent and is called a "deep pink", meaning a "pink" so deep that in my garden it reads as red. I highly recommend it. Also you might consider Marjorie Fair.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Dublin Bay repeats very well but it is NO match for the beauty and fragrance of EdH.

Carla

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Dr. Jamain was a big disappointment to me: small flowers, poor rebloom, fragrance not as strong as I hoped.
    yes I think Dr Jamain would need conditions to be 'just so' to be happy. It needs lots of feeding etc so I understand. A bit of a diva? (like my old hairdresser)

• luanne
    15 years ago

I remember the good doctor growing in Portland Oregon perfectly neglected the 2 years if her pregnancy and baby's first year. It bloomed so beautifully and smelled so fragrantly. Diva? Not this time. But I grow Altissimo and it is a rose that can make a garbage can look royal.
    la

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor