Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelajgood

Beautiful azaleas this spring

angelajgood
16 years ago

Here in Memphis we have had a huge amount of rain in the last couple of weeks. Everything is blooming like crazy and the azaleas seem to be more vibrant and dense than I can remember them being in the years past. And I probably wasn't paying much attention before like I am this year. I actually thought I was seeing different types of azaleas for the first time and finally realized that was not possible, they are just way more vibrant. This is truly the most beautiful spring I can remember. This is especially wonderful after last year when we had a late freeze that completely ruined everything.

A friend of mine said that it is not just the rain, but the cool temperatures that we have been having that have caused everything to bloom so well. Is that true? I am a novice gardener, so I have never paid much attention to the bloom habits/weather patterns.

I hope everyone else is having a glorious spring as well!

Comments (4)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Even though your weather was wet, it was not hot. Hot damp weather causes petal blight, a fungus disease that shortens the life of azalea flowers that bloom in mid season and later. The early blooming varieties are frequently able to complete their bloom before the fungus starts attacking. The sun also fades azalea flowers. Cloudy weather causes the flowers to hold their color much longer.

• angelajgood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for explaining this. We have decided, especially after this springs great display, of planting some azaleas in the shadier side of our front yard. I was having a very difficult time trying to figure out what kind, what color, etc. Now I have decided that it really doesn't matter what kind or color, they are all beautiful if the conditions are right.

Is it too much sun that causes the white ones to turn brown more so than the others? I have always assumed that was the case and is why I have never been really fond of the white ones. (But they sure are pretty this year!) I suppose that they all turn a bit brown in too much sun, but it just isn't as noticeable.

Tonight will be a low of 32 degrees. Is this going to finish off the blooms? I just hate to think that we won't be able to enjoy them as long as possible.
    Thanks again!

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Turning brown is not normal. That is petal blight damage. The flowers should just wilt and fall off without turning brown. To prevent petal blight, remove all spent flowers at the end of the bloom season and put them in the trash. The ones that bloom later are the ones that get hit hardest with petal blight.

Normally a freeze will kill the flowers. You can cover them with a sheet of something tonight. If the sheet is plastic, be sure to remove it before the sun hits it or you will cook the plants underneath. This would be much worse than freezing.

• angelajgood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rhodyman. We didn't actually get a freeze. I believe it only got down to about 36, so the flowers should be fine.

Interesting to know about the petal blight. I have heard so many people say that they hate the white azaleas because they look 'muddy' and I always felt the same. Nice to know that is not normal and can be prevented.

Sponsored