Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decobug6b

Lady Emma Hamilton or Pat Austin

I've loved Pat Austin for a long time. The color is so fresh and the blooms very sweet. Now I have a spot open for another rose and I'm wondering if I should put in Pat Austin or if I should try LEH. I've never seen her in person, so I don't know how she compares to PA.

Anyone have both and can compare?

THANKS!

Comments (10)

• brother_cadfael
    14 years ago

If you have room for one you most certainly have room for both!;^]

I have them both and would not be without either.

LEH is PA with tinges of red, and if you have a stint of cool shady weather, the color is incredible.

'Pat Austin'
    {{gwi:306901}}

'Lady Emma Hamilton'
    {{gwi:306903}}

Rob
    BC:)

• tinyrose
    14 years ago

My LEH is much more orange than BC's picture. I live in a cool climate though. It fades pretty quickly, but lasts longer on the bush than Pat. LEH is new to me, but so far seems more upright than Pat. I just went out and smelled LEH and she definitely has a great scent, different than Pat, maybe stronger. So far LEH has great disease resistance. Hope that helps.
    Eileen

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

I have Pat Austin. I initially wanted LEH, but my nursery was out so I got Pat Austin.

From what I've heard, LEH has a slightly stronger scent, blooms are have more of a pink tone, and the blooms tend to somewhat me more upright than Pat Austin's nodding blooms. I find it to me to be a matter of preference of what you are looking for. I have heard Pat Austin grows larger than LEH. My Pat Austin is a really vigorous grower with really elegant green foilage that is semi-glossy. I have had no problems with disease or anything else with Pat Austin. The blooms pass rather quickly, but it blooms so fast that you get a steady bloom. Mine is in it's first year from a pot and is easily 3.5ft tall now and budded all over. I personally like the nodding blooms. It gives the rose a unique look in my preference. Scent of Pat Austin is a straight mildly strong tea scent. Pat Austin's opening is a spectacle as well as it reflexes open and has it's eye gradually open into full bloom. A very timid bloom as well. It will open during the day and if the bloom is newer, it will close back up during a cooler night and as soon as the sun hits it in the morning, it gradually perks back open. PA blooms look spectacular in the rain.

I have no opinion either way. I love them both even though I only have Pat Austin. If possibly just get both, but I know they are similar so you may only choose one.

• predfern
    14 years ago

Does Lady Emma Hamilton survive zone 5 winters?

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

I have both. I think both are quite hardy and should survive a Chicago winter. One difference I see is that Pat Austin's flowers do not survive high summer heat without wilting. Lady Emma's flowers hang in there although they may bleach out some. Pat's flowers smell a little, but they are no match for Lady Emma's. My Lady Emma does not seem to be getting very tall. Pat will get rather large given the opportunity. Maybe this helps a little.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

brother_cadfael, how big is your LEH? Mine are tiny, only about 18"x18".

• brother_cadfael
    14 years ago

Hi Hoovb,
    Mine are the same size as yours as I just got them this spring at a local nursery. David Austin was out of them by the time I placed my order.
    I won't be able to comment on how vigorous it is yet because I haven't had to deadhead it yet. It seems it took forever for it to bloom even though it had big fat buds on it from the day I bought it; now that it is blooming I can see that these flowers will last alot longer that PA's ever did.
    Rob
    BC:)

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Maele, that is so hilarious! you wrote:

"I love them both because I'm obviously unstable and like mean roses"...

hmmmm, mine is the opposite, my roses love me, even though I'm a mean monster! with all my drastic pruning and hacking; they always come big and fat and strong... even my baby bands have not been spared either from my "trimmers"... I am ordering LEH for 2010, so hopefully it won't "teach me a lesson" and give me a taste of my own medicine! I did hear some warnings that LEH is "easily killed"/tender so I'm glad that there are quite a few here who have grown it successfully...

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Pardon my language, Rob, I reserve it for only the most deserving of situations...but that first photo of Pat Austin is fan-freakin-tastic. Gallery worthy, to be sure.