Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Help me decide what rose to grow into a 20 foot tree.

fogrose
10 years ago

My pot ghetto contains some candidates for growing into a tree that's about 20 feet tall. I want to start the rose climbing onto a heavy wire trellis then the rose will be tall enough to reach into a large lower branch so it can climb. Some possibilities are:

Crepuscule

Elie Beauvillain

Erinnerung an Brod

Flora

Garisenda

Thanks for your opinions,
Diane

Comments (11)

• Debbie1776
    10 years ago

I'm looking forward to reading the replies on this, as I'm planning on growing a rose into a tree myself.

• Debbie1776
    10 years ago

I'm looking forward to reading the replies on this, as I'm planning on growing a rose into a tree myself.

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

How sturdy is your tree? A climbing rose is pretty heavy, and increases resistence to wind when there's a storm.
    Melissa, who lost half a mature locust with 'Treasure Trove' climbing up it during high winds this spring.
    N.B. I love roses climbing into trees! But I'm learning to be cautious.

• User
    10 years ago

Flora, no question. This sempervirens rambler will grow in a fair bit of shade (a classic north wall rambler) and will cope with the poorer soil associated with nearby tree roots. It also has structure and presence to look fine throughout the year.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Melissa, I don't believe any of the roses I mentioned would be become as massive as I understand Treasure trove would grow but perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part. I don't even know the name of the tree as it was here when we bought the house. I had hoped that the wire fence would bear some of the weight of the rose as well.

campanula, that might just be the rose upon further investigation although I'm tempted by the rebloom of Elie Beauvillian or Crepuscule. Thanks.

Diane

• User
    10 years ago

ah, I don't have Flora but am very familiar with the Princesses Marie and Louise (other Jaques sempervirens ramblers).
    True, Treasure Trove, as a seedling of Kiftsgate, is a monster rose (which I am now gonna get for sure).

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

campanula, have you seen specimens of Flora? Seems like it doesn't get overly huge.

Diane

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

It depends on the tree, and on the rose. 'Treasure Trove' is indeed a tree eater and had gotten thirty feet up a 45'-50' black locust. But locusts aren't good trees for growing roses up: they have an open form, which is good, but aren't long-lived or sturdy enough to bear the weight of a massive rose. Some twenty foot trees will be stout enough to support a rose, others not. I just wanted to make sure you had thought about it, as I had not, too much, before I planted 'Treasure Trove'.
    Suzy, oh yes, do get it: it's a great rose.
    Melissa

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Diane as far as my experience goes none of the roses on your list are too massive for growing into the tree. The only one of them that I am growing that gets shade is Crepescule. It's doing far better in shade than I would have imagined. It wasn't shaded when it was young. My Erinnerung is two years in the ground. It gets quite a bit of disease in the summer. Might shade make that worse? I'm guessing it grows like Russeliana eventually. I wouldn't say that it won't work but it wouldn't be my choice. Garisenda is so lovely. As a Wichurana I would imagine it climbing well. Mine is healthy but rather small but I bet if it was given encouragement it would head upwards. I find Flora to be an irritating rose. It's always had dieback problems. I did have one in a tree that fell(not Flora's fault) Anyway cleaning up that dieback in a tree with those long thorny canes was something I didn't like. Elie Beauvillian is a good candidate, vigorous and reblooming. Mine is shaded at the base climbing into the sun.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pamela for your reply. Interesting to here about your Erinnerung. Mine's a baby but I've been so pleased by how disease free it is so far. Time will tell.

Of course I still can't decide. As the spot is opposite our dining room window I had originally wanted a rebloomer.

Do appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Diane