Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp420zl

poison ivy killer on rose bush

jp420
10 years ago

Please help. Before I left for vacation I sprayed some poison ivy that was growing in the midst of my groundcover roses. I aimed only for the ivy but was not overly careful because I thought from the description on the bottle that it would not harm ornamental plants. But I have just returned after a week and the roses do not look good. The only thing i can think of is the poison ivy killer. If that is affecting the roses- is there any save them at this point?

Comments (7)

• nickl
    10 years ago

I'm curious which product you used that said it wouldn't harm ornamentals.

Actually, though, it doesn't matter much - any brush killer/ poison ivy killer is going to cause serious problems on your roses if you happen to spray it on them..

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

If it is not too much trouble could you post some pictures of the damage. It could be useful to those who are not sure whether their roses have rose rosette disease or herbicide damage.

Thank you.

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

I have some blackberry invading a large climber. I will apply brush killer using a paint brush. I occasionally apply round up close to roses. I make sure that there is a stream instead of a spray and if somehow if I think I might have possibly got some on rose foliage, I remove the foliage immediately. If you have a lot of roses you can expect to have to replace a percentage of them, because stuff happens and you replant and move on.

• buford
    10 years ago

How large are the roses? Unless you sprayed the entire rose buys, I don't think the spray would kill it. It could damage a lot of the foliage. I would try cutting any damaged portions back. Pictures would help to see how bad the damage is.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

If it is one of the common herbicides, symptoms of poisoning will usually recur on new growth for months or a year. But if the roses aren't killed, they will eventually recover.

Roses are actually more sensitive to the common herbicides than most plants are.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

What you can do now is hose off the roses well, and then give them a LOT of water, every day, for a while. That might help.

In future, everyone is correct that anything that will kill poison ivy will kill roses. If this was in my garden, I would clothe myself in long sleeves, gloves, etc., and dig out the poison ivy with a shovel. Then throw everything, and myself, into the wash.

Jackie

• garose
    10 years ago

One spring my daughter sprayed all my roses with poinson ivy killer when I asked her to spray fungicide...The best thing to do is water throughly every day. I only cut back as it turned brown. Out of 58 roses I only lost 4 and those 4 were the ones that were struggling anyway. Good Luck