Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coco4444

Identify this ?rose plant

coco4444
10 years ago

Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong area... I don't often travel to this side of the forum, lol! I'm having trouble identifying this plant, so hopefully experts here can help.

A few summers ago, I plants 3 spreading roses. One has done okay (1st pic) but the middle one has become this strange looking plant (comparatively) with lots of tall shoots (some ~5') and much smaller, lighter, less waxy leaves. It had small white flowers on it for a really brief period in June, but otherwise now if just green and taking over the area. Any suggestions... is this a different plant, and should I move it somewhere else (it can't be a weed, can it?). It's got thorns as well.

Thanks!

{{gwi:312462}}
{{gwi:312463}}

Comments (3)

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Your rose that was grafted on the wild rose root has died and what you have now is growth from that wild rose....not much good keeping it....I would dig it out and replace it with another rose that is the same species as the rose in pic 1

Ian

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

It looks like your rose may have reverted to rootstock, and from the pic, I'd guess 'R. multiflora'. This happens if the top growth dies off, and then the roots send new shoots which will not be the same as the budded top growth you intended to see. You can't really do anything about it other than digging the plant up and replacing it.

:-)

~Christopher

• coco4444
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much to both for your quick responses!