Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evie1955

What Would You Do - Gold Medal?

evie1955
16 years ago

Would you cut this cane down to the height of the other ones or leave it?? Lots of buds, at least 14 (not on the cane), as you can see it is branching out more. This plant is just about 2 months old.

{{gwi:313411}}

{{gwi:313412}}

{{gwi:313413}}

Comments (17)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

No, I would not cut it down. Gold Medal wants to be a very tall rose.
    It's wonderful that it is starting right off with a cane of mature size.
    Sometimes you just need to have a bit of patience with a plant during its awkward growing time.
    Think of it as a gawky adolescent. :-)
    It will be beautiful in no time.

Jeri

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Jen:)

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

I totally agree, the less Gold Medal is pruned the more blooms you will get. Gold Medal will get to eight feet tall just so you know.

Lance

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

In the meantime, just pretend you have a tall plant growing next to a shorter plant--not that you have one gawky plant.

You're going to love this rose--one of my favorites.

Kate

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I would deadhead down to a strong shoot and stake the cane. It is probably going to flop when the other flowers start opening. I would also cut two or three long-stemmed buds from the upper part when they are ready to open, to cut down on the top-heaviness of the structure.

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Went out this morning and looked at the cane from the opposite side and sure enough more buds are forming.

{{gwi:313414}}

Will hold off on any harsh cutting for now but am going to stake it today, the cane is good and thick, don't want it snapping against any pressure.

BTW, I only have 2 in ground roses so can baby it no problem...lol

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions:)

I really can't let this grow 8 feet but 6 will be fine, just want to try to keep it somewhat even. I know many of you said to just let it go but I did take off the top flower today, cut above the next bud, was 9 inches. It'll have lots of blooms in afew days, I know it didn't do any harm:)Thanks again. BTW,9 inches is nothing, the cane is really close to 5 feet already and the others are fgrowing by the minute to catch up, it seems...

{{gwi:313416}}

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention that Gold Medal is a fuller looking bush than most grandiflora or hybrid teas. It will eventually get the naked legs look so plant something smaller in front.

Lance

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Lance:)

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

I thought Gold Medal was a "gold" rose - not a pink one???? :)

Carol

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Well, a great many yello/golden roses "pink" as they fade.
    That's my objection to ORANGE roses -- they seem (to me) to age the color of a worn-out football.
    I hope Evie will tell us that it was a lovely yaller when it was fresh. :-)

Jeri

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It changes Carol:)

Here's a couple pics I took a few weeks ago...

{{gwi:313418}}
    {{gwi:313420}}

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You might want to check this link out:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Medal Pics

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Gee that's interesting! I had no idea that Gold Medal has so many "personalities." Thanks!

Carol

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I didn't either but am pleased it does:) Double Delight is my second in ground rose, color magic may be the next HT...lol

• tenor_peggy
    16 years ago

My goodness, I don't recall GM ever being that pink when I grew it up north so I was about to ask you if your rose was indeed GM. ;-)

BTW, do you spray it regularly with fungicides? Your rose looks very clean. I've been hestitating about getting it here in Florida because I'd rather not spray (which is the reason why I'm only growing teas and chinas here, for now...).

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Peggy:)

I sprayed it once recently with dithane for blackspot after I stupidly watered it from above but for the most part, it's been pretty disease resistant.