Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjam2

Cweathersby - Spider!!

msjam2
16 years ago

Hey Carrie,

I think your spider followed me home, look what I found today in my yard!! Luckily, he is located at a place where DH can't see him, otherwise, he is dead meat, DH is pretty lethal with his Raid.

{{gwi:304847}}

Comments (15)

• autumnshowers
    16 years ago

oh no the banana spider.

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Looks a lot like a Garden Spider to me, here they're called "Writing spiders" (No, don't ask me why- I've never heard the explanation). I make sure to leave them alone and their egg sacs too- I want them to eat up all the bad bugs in my garden. Very nice pic. Brandy

• michellesg
    16 years ago

We have one of those on the walk to my dd's elementary school. It's a good 2" long so the kids walk by and check it out every morning and afternoon. It's very pretty!

• emilyg
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm sure Mr/Ms Spider wants to eat up other bugs in the garden.

• cweathersby
    16 years ago

I don't know if I mentioned how much I love those spiders!
    I always try to throw a bug into their web for them so that they will get fat and happy and have lots of babies so that maybe the grasshopper population around here will go down!
    For those of you who have never done it, throw a bug on there and watch the spider's reaction. It's better than anything you'll ever see on TV.
    Carrie

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

I get those spiders in my yard. I didn't know they were banana spiders. They make an enormous web over my koi pond. I certainly do love spiders. I do have to be cautious around some areas because of the black widows. They're beautiful, but I've heard they can get you rather sick. FWIW the squiggly zig zag design in the middle of the web is caused a "stabilamentum" (sp?)... and, it's still uncertain as to why some spiders make them and others don't...I did a paper on this back in undergrad.

Robert

• rosyone
    16 years ago

That's what we call a garden spider. Here's a banana spider (not my photo).
    {{gwi:304848}}

• melva
    16 years ago

Sorry Lisa, that is not a Banana Spider...I have always heard them called 'Orb Spiders'

• melva
    16 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia
    so a garden spider, is in the same family, as an orb spider.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well.. as long as he stays where he is, he'll be fine. I hope DH doesn't find him. :D

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I'm with your DH ... where's the Raid?

Randy

• rosyone
    16 years ago

Melva, orb spiders are spiders that weave orb webs. It's a generic term that covers banana spiders (aka golden silk orb-weavers), the common garden spider, and thousands of other species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orb-weaver spider

• michaelg
    16 years ago

The name "Writing Spider" must come from the squiggly band in the web. It does look sort of like lettering, but spiders don't use the Roman alphabet.

• spring_chicken
    16 years ago

Check it out! I saw your spider on TV!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spiders on CNN

• autumnshowers
    16 years ago

I know many don't like spiders, wasps, or preying mantises, but they are truly beneficial in the garden. They eat the grashoppers that devour my roses, leaves, and stems. Plus they are so cool looking!!

Msjam, I'll give the banana spider a home.

Carrie, what justice to see those rose destroyers getting the death they deserve.