Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lerosier3

smaller China/Tea roses

lerosier3
14 years ago

I am putting together a planting of smaller tea and China roses - 30-42 inches in height. Which China/Tea roses would most likely grow to that height in the Puget Sound region of Washington? I know that many tea roses do not like to be pruned, are there any that grow higher than 42 inches that would accept pruning to that height?

Comments (13)

• User
    14 years ago

Hermosa stays under 5 ft for me about 38 inches after 3 years, spice stays small also.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

White Pearl In Red Dragon's Mouth seems not to be a giant, to me.

Jeri

• hartwood
    14 years ago

These roses from my garden are two or three years old, and they meet your requirements:

Fabvier
    Hume's Blush
    Ducher
    Jean Bach Sisley
    Bengal Fire (aka, Miss Lowe's Variety)

and then we have the mini-Chinas
    St. Thomas China
    Mableton Rouletii
    Legacy of Frank Dorroh (new to me, but tiny)
    Hwy 290 Pink Buttons

Connie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

The Tea rose Enchantress is said to stay smaller, and also Westside Road Cream Tea. I have both which, although young, don't seem to show a tendency to shoot upward. Mr. Bluebird, although often sold as a mini, is apparently really a China and stays very small.

Ingrid

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Smallish tea roses are hard to find, but the 'Madame Antoine Mari' roses I've seen seem to be smaller than most other tea roses. Very beautiful plant & bloom too.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Oh, and don't forget about the red china rose, 'Martha Gonzales'.

Randy

• mudbird
    14 years ago

Hermosa is slender and under 5ft in my garden. Le Sylphide (sp?) is an exquisite smaller Tea with delicate semi-double pale pink flowers and lovely fragrance. Grows easily -- highly recommend it! It was recommended to me by Malcolm Manners years ago.

• luxrosa
    14 years ago

3 of my very favorite roses are;
    "Westside Road Cream Tea" I adore this Tea rose for it being the first Tea rose to be in full bloom in spring in Sebastopol, where it is grown with 3 plants in a triangle, apex plant near the border, and I love its rich seductive fragrance, which is elusive on cooler days, but worth smelling on warm humid days. I'd plant it near the following two pink roses, because all 3 are a similar size. In the s.f. Bay area these 3 roses can easily be kept to 4 and 1/2 feet tall.
    "Mme. Antoine Mari" a pink blend Tea. It is an exceptionally beautiful Tea class rose that best shows its' nuances of pink hues in cooler weeks of the summer here. The new foliage in spring is a dusky plum hue, which sets off the pink roses in a sublime way.
    "Mlle. Cecille Brunner" (half Tea rose by breeding) This rose has been in commerce since the 1880's when it was introduced, for good reason, it produces the most perfectly dainty Tea-shaped pink rosebuds in creation. My mother grew this on the west side of our house in Seattle, surrounded by white anemones and purple violets. There are larger forms that bear the same roses, that were all introduced in the 1900's, if you want to make sure you buy the smaller form.
    There are many fans of the following rose;
    "Lady Hillingdon" has been kept to 4 and 1/2' tall in an Oakland public rose garden for more than 10 years. I expect it could be kept the same size in the Puget Sound area, although I prefer the golden-apricot hues of "Center Street Orange Tea" which is harder to find, which is even smaller, c. 2 1/2' tall by a bit wider. It has a bit more yellow to its' apricot hue which makes its roses brighter,than "Lady Hillingdons" and Center street Orange Tea has more curvier blossoms, I don't know how else to describe them.
    If powdery mildew is problemental "Pearl in Dragons Mouth" might defoliate for you as did "Ducher" for us near San Francisco. "Fabvier" proved to be a healthier plant, for us, along with the Tea roses listed above.

Good luck, let us know what you choose.
    Luxrosa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I had also meant to mention Single Cerise China, a rose I'm very fond of. The only caveat is that in our unusually foggy and cool spell in late spring it mildewed rather badly. However, it is grown against a house wall and might do better with more circulation. It has no mildew now and is growing and blooming nicely, although the single blossoms don't last as long in the heat of summer. But even now I find it to be an attractive plant.

Ingrid

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

The little china Flocon de Neige stays under 2ft tall. I can't say it is in constant bloom, but it blooms a LOT. Flowers are 1" across or smaller. Sweet little buds the size of peas. Maybe smaller than you were thinking of, the reason I mention it is I always thought it would make a lovely boarder rose for an area like you're planning.

Though I'm in FL, I'm in the same growing zone as you, this pic was taken last January! Everything else was dormant by then, we'd been having frost at night, but got a few sunny days.

{{gwi:305525}}

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

I, too, adore Mme. Antoine Mari. The flower is EXQUISITE, and the plant is so graceful. Mine is about a year-and-a-half old, so I can't say about eventual size. Some have told me it can be quite large, others say not. I nearly killed mine by some very injudicious trimming (since when I don't trim ANY of my roses, all of which are very young). It also took some very hot weather we had badly, but it is slowly trying to come back.

Another small Tea is Mlle. Jeanne Philippe. It seems to grow in a quite different way from MAM, i.e., more vertical, while MAM has a lower, wider, sort of circular pattern. My MJP is younger (got it last Fall), and took awhile to get going, but is doing well now. The flower is smallish (so far), and is a cream to apricot blend, sometimes a little blush of pink, very pretty.

I am in Sacramento CA, so my weather is quite different from yours, so perhaps someone with experience of these roses in the PNW will chime in. Also, if you go to HelpMeFind, you will see both of them, although their pix of MJP don't look much like mine. And if you click on the "Comments" tab at the top of the page, you can see what others have to say about them, which would probably help with info about any of the roses you are considering.

• nickelsmumz8
    14 years ago

Flocon de Neige is charming!