Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Pickering not taking orders in 2015, now where?

I have only bought from Pickering, and have been happy with the health of their bare root roses. Anyone else having to decide where they want to order from instead?

Comments (11)

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Please note--Pickering Nurseries will not open for the 2015 season.
    The rose growing industry has seen a great many changes in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, the majority of these changes were negative for both the companies involved and their bottom lines. The pesticide ban enacted by Ontario in the mid 2000's, an increase in hybridizer royalty rates and how they are calculated, a glut of cheap US grown roses coupled with the Canadian government changing both import and export regulations (unable to ship to the US 2013 and additional ongoing issues with our root stock) have left me with no choice but to stop shipping roses for this season. Over the last several years Pickering Nurseries has been exploring alternative propagation techniques and changes to our business model. Both of these things are still a work in progress. We hope to have a small, core selection of rooted cuttings available in the spring of 2016.

It is also with great sadness we announce the passing of Joseph Schraven, my father and founder of Pickering Nurseries, on May 27th.

In closing, I would like to extend thanks to all our long time customers and our colleagues in the industry and we hope to be able to serve you in the future.

Best regards,
    Joel Schraven
    Pickering Nurseries

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:10

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Order from Palatine instead. Their bare roots have been superior to those of Pickering for many years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palatine Nurseries

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

S & w greenhouse here in tennesee is excellent ! They do have a short delivery time so you have to be ok with that . But the prices are great and I've been there a few times and feel great about supporting the business .

For potted roses or bands I love heirlooms selection , and chamblees is awesome too .
    Also roses unlimited , in sc .
    And Antique rose emporium has a lot to choose from !
    Rouge valley roses has a lot to pick from , when I ordered 3 years ago they were definitely small bands but grew well . Hoping they send bigger plants nowadays .
    I'm already looking forward to planning my new orders !

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Two good US sources for cold hardy roses are Northland Rosarium and High country Roses. I have bought from both and been very satisfied.

Two more sources which I have not used are Azalea House in New York State and North Creek (Suzanne Verrier's nursery)

Dear Mr. Schraven, Condolences for the loss of your father. I am also saddened by the difficulties your nursery in having. I received an order of magnificent alba roses from you which I still have and enjoy every year.

There has been some discussion on this forum about the issues with a particular English breeder. Might you consider only carrying the older varieties, which many of us know and love and can no longer buy, and forgoing the patented ones?

Unfortunately, we can only commiserate about the cheap American roses. They infest our stores also; many are infected with RMV, and they are often mislabeled.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Bare roots: Palatine for sure. Regan Nurseries has perhaps the largest selection of bare roots - mostly modern varieties, mostly grafted. Witherspoon is another resource, less selection but I'm often surprised to discover they have hard to find varieties. David Austin is pricey, but good quality and they sell several non-DA roses. I'd avoid Edmunds because of their habit of shipping too late, which is too bad because they have nice selection and their roses are reasonable quality if you could just get them in the ground a few weeks earlier.

Own roots, I highly recommend High Country Roses and Northland Rosarium for their specialization of cold hardy roses and good sized healthy plants. Many nurseries that sell own root plants offer only bands and with our short growing season that can be a gamble. I have had some good luck with bands of very hardy roses, especially from Heirloom. They have a great selection and under the new owner ship they're offering many varieties in larger size.

Locally, I like Roseland in Acushnet, MA and Unacanoonuc in Goffstown, NH. Maybe try Corliss Brothers in Ipswich, MA.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations and the link. Ratdogheads, thanks for a recommendation in Massachusetts and I see that NH Unacanoonuc is a place I've been meaning to visit.

Thanks!

• myselfverna
    8 years ago

I desperately need more roses as grasshoppers ate some of my beautiful David Austin roses. They are the only kind I can grow in my zone. Pleeeeaaassseee, Pickering Nurseries don't give up. Charge more if you have to. Heirloom roses charges $40.00 for one rose. I won't pay that to anyone but you.

• mcnastarana
    8 years ago

If I remember right, part of the problem Pickering was having was with the USDA and its' insane importation rules, protecting us against diseases unknown to science. Maybe you should contact your congressperson?

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

Is there a local rose society you could join? Many Rosarians like to pass along roses to make room for new plants.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    8 years ago

Roses Unlimited in SC is an excellent company on this side of the country. Chamblee Nursery being another located in TX. Buy from American companies. They sell own root roses. :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

Oh no another rose nursery bites the dust! I hope it will be able to reopen.