Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosyjennifer

Moss recommendation and comments on Vintage ordert

rosyjennifer
15 years ago

Hi. After an area has lain fallow for 2 seasons from the Buff Beauty I lost to RRD, I think I want a moss in her place.

I recall smelling a moss rose once and the rose left a sticky piney scent on my fingers - I fell in love! Do all mosses have this scent? Might you know one that does?

Also, any comments on my tentative Vintage order so far?

Union Redwood Cemetery

Beryl Bach

Lady Alice Stanley

Lady Mary Fitzwilliam

Stanwell Perpetual

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

If the rose we have found in some old cemeteries is (as we strongly suspect)
    Lady Mary Fitzwilliam, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Jeri

• carla17
    15 years ago

Jennifer, I love the mosses. Unfortunately the ones I want from Vintage are on a wait list :-(. I love mosses more and more. I have a new Chapeau de Napoleon and a new Fara Shimbo that I have high hopes for. I also have a pink dud, it has barely bloomed for the 4 years it's been here. I think it's either Salet or Louis Gimard. If you e-mail me, I have names of a couple other vendors that carry mosses.

Carla

• melva
    15 years ago

Some of the Mosses are mossier, than others and they have more of the piney resin...I don't know any of the ones on your list...

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't grow mosses that are on your list. The ones that are doing very well here for me in MD are :
    Captain John Ingram
    Henri Martin
    Reine d'Anjoi
    Salet
    I really love pine fragrance of the mossed buds.
    Olga

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Take a look at the link below for something I copied.

Here is a link that might be useful: About 4th down, a comment on Mosses in the south

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

I will second Rene D'Anjou-a superior moss with the best repeat of any of my repeating mosses so far with excellent clean foliage(repeating mosses tend to crud badly) that carries the same scent as the abundant moss on the buds. after a rain the scent carries on the air. My favorite moss is Nuits de Younge which is also well mossed-with reddish moss, but desn't repeat-the foliage is small deep green with reddish edges and makes a wonderful shurb when it isn't in bloom. I dont know how either of those would do for you with your summer heat.

patricia

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much - you've really given me lots of good roses to research. Might planting the mosses in 1/2 day shade help w/ the heat?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I have the moss Alfred de Dalmas and in my hot dry climate even in full sun it fared better than some of my other roses. Unfortunately this rose falls apart very quickly because it has so few petals. The blooms might last longer in a cooler climate. This rose is also known as Mousseline. For me it doesn't have a very strong scent. I've ordered Salet in hopes that it will have better blooms.

Ingrid

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I have Lady Mary Fitzwilliam, Lady Alice Stanley, and Union Redwood Cemetery -- all came here this spring. Lady Mary and Union Redwood are small, but growing -- I expect to be better able to comment on them next year. Lady Alice Stanley is a star in my antique HT garden out front. You will love her.

Connie

P.S. Come to the garden social here on Oct 19, and meet her for yourself. :)

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Connie - thanks for the invitation, how kind. : ) I'd love nothing more to see your lovely place in person (I checked out the link from your My Page.) I'll be in a wedding, but would rather be sniffing roses, quite frankly. ; )

Glad to hear Lady Alice stanley is a good one. I'm pretty sure a 1940's mystery rose in my yard is Lady Mary Fitz, so I can't wait to see the first bloom next spring, but I ordered Lady Alice just to be sure as her description matches my rose. I have ordered and ruled out: Dame Edith Helen, Mrs. EG hill, and Betty Uprichard. (I too love found/lost roses!)

500 roses in pots - I thought my pot ghetto was bad! : )

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

I don't know how these will do in your climate, but I like the following mosses:

'William Lobb' is once-blooming, rather large and lanky, purple, mossy, fragrant, tough, and, to my surprise, easy to grow from cuttings.

'Alfred de Dalmas' is a modest rose, but pleasant in every way and also easy to grow, color pale pink, reblooming, in my garden about three-four feet, but my roses lead a hard life. Easy to root from cuttings.

I love 'Crested Moss', but it's not actually a moss, and doesn't have that moss scent. It's a beautiful, fragrant rose, classic pink, once-blooming, with highly intriguing sepals. I've never succeeded in rooting it. It has long arching canes that can benefit from support, and in its period of bloom is as beautiful as any rose that ever grew in a garden. In Olympia, WA, I grew it next to

'Capitaine John Ingram', small, double soft purple flowers with a button eye, rather dark upright shrub in my experience, fragrant, once-blooming. This rose doesn't make much of an effect at a distance, but deserves that you take out a chair and sit and stare at it up close at frequent intervals when it's in bloom, because it's unique and wonderful and lovely.

These are some of my favorites, and they're all healthy for me, BUT I've never grown them in areas with high disease pressure, and it's entirely possible they might defoliate pitifully for you. You need to check that out locally. I also hear great things about 'Common Moss', but just got it last year and don't yet know much about it.

Melissa