Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

What do you have by your front door?

User
14 years ago

I was just wondering what posters here may have in front of their front doors. Do you have two containers? Several containers? Roses? Perennials?

For my part, I just have two containers of Tamora and I stuck some Brookside cranesbill in there this year because it looked really plain. While I like Tamora, it is still a little lackluster looking. The Tamoras are in year 2.

Comments (21)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Just on the edge of the porch are Stephen Rulo and Tricolor de Flandres. In the ground just as you step up are (2) Tiffany, Leana and in front of Leana is a very large Marchesa Boccella. Huge fuzzy sage is cascading into the walkway.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

If you judged my entire yard by the plantings by the front door, you would think no roses were grown on my property. Not only does the front door face north, but it is also heavily shaded by maple and oak trees, as are the sides of my house. Impatience, ferns, astilbe, etc., grow there. I sometimes wish there weren't so much shade, but in the hot summer, the coolest breeze circles around 3 sides of my house--I love that!

The back yard comes as a surprise--lots of sun and roses!

Kate

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I have steps up to my front door, with some annuals in pots on the steps. To the immediate right of the door (in the ground): Baptisia, Aloha, salvia 'Sensation Rose' and Blue Star juniper, back to front, in that order. (All part5 of a bigger plan)

To the left I have Zephirine Drouhin, two lavender, and a struggling Oklahoma.

I can't believe how much stuff has grown since this icture, already! This is also on aplanting day, when things are quite messy. The Okie is totally obscured between the lavender. Think that might have something to do with it's struggle, lol? I was back out there this afternoon, contemplating what changes I need to make. I like the plant choices, I don't like the arrangements.

{{gwi:318089}}

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

We have a front porch which only allows a few hours of sun.
    He have 2 hanging baskets of flowers hanging.
    Right in front on the ground is Marigolds planted.

{{gwi:319468}}

{{gwi:319469}}

{{gwi:319470}}

{{gwi:319471}}

{{gwi:319472}}

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

I have a bed on each side of the front porch.

In one bed is a nandina 'Moyer's Red', a daphne 'Summer Ice', a 'Midnight Blue' and a 'Flutterbye' rose with campanula 'Blue Waterfall' for groundcover.

The other bed has 2 daphne odoras, 4 sarcococcas, 1 azalea 'Hino Crimson', 2 salvia 'Black and Blue', 1 red Flower Carpet rose, 1 Lyda Rose, and a small tree form hinoki cypress.

I also have three large pots, one on the walk below the porch which was all tulips. One on the deck was hyacinths and paperwhites and the other is a dwarf Alberta spruce.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    14 years ago

1 bed by the front. Ebbtide, Lavaglut, Denver's Dream, Fame!, Niobe clematis, lavender, false cypress, white candytuft, Gordon Biggs daylily, rudbeckia, angel sculpture, large mahogany colored boulder. Only thing with fragrance is the lavender.

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

I have hostas, impatients and a large Chicago Peace rose bush.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    14 years ago

On my covered porch by the door are pots of red-edged dracena. On the front corner of the house, a little 3 by 4 foot patch of earth, I have a potted mini, Absolutely, and a scarlet Mandevilla vine behind that.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

My front door is kind of catty-corner under a porch, so nothing immediately beside it. And, since it is dark there, I have painted the front door a golden yellow. The bed closest to the door I have a row of Julia Child roses (matches the front door color almost perfectly). It's my hope that the yellow catches the eye and will draw people to the front door. My next year's project is to have a place for people to park and walk to the front door. (Right now, the back door is the main entrance.)

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

I have a pretty big front porch, that's built more like a deck, with a handicap ramp. There's a large pot of hens and chicks near the door. The nearest rose bush is 15 feet from the door. It's Hansa with Sweet Cecilia next to it.
    Across the driveway in front of the porch and ramp is an arbor with Autumn Sunset planted on either side. Large pots with Marie Pavie in one and Crystal Fairy in the other set next to the climbers. I overwinter them in my greenhouse. Going up a hill to the street from the arbor and along the driveway is a long five foot wide rose bed.

• peachiekean
    14 years ago

My front door leads into a patio so I have a few roses on the walkway and in the patio.
    Beginning at the sidewalk are Tea Clipper (too rangy for that spot), Golden Buddha, Irish Hope, some foxtail asparagus fern, Nandinas and heucheras which are gradually being replaced by begonias. Part of this walk becomes shady as the sun moves south later in season.
    The sunny side has floribundas - Cinco de Mayo, Ebb Tide, Brass Band, Melodee Parfumee (ht?) and Julia Child, with a couple of blueberry bushes and purple nemesia, iris, some freesias and a lot of alstroemerias. Something's always blooming.
    Inside the patio are Clair Matin (always trying to take over), Buff Beauty on the arch and Spice, which I hope will do okay with the "big girls".
    Mary

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Greenhaven your house pic inspired the naughty prankster side of me.

This is what I have by myyyyy front door!

this is a snow pic but really whenever I go out to garden my front lot Eluane, my border collie, will follow me. What's cool is that there is no fence to contain her but she stays where she is supposed to stay. I will often bring my frisbee to play with her while gardening.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

AAaaaaaahhhhhh! SNOW! NOT YET!!!!! I am done shouting now. Naughty indeed, serena, naughty indeed.....

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

On the front porch near the door is a potted 'Gold Mound' lantana and a potted thornless miniature rose (variety unknown).

Randy

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

An old kitchen chair I'm using for a planter, my granddaughter's outgrown red boots planted with begonias & marigolds, and Tess of the d'Urbervilles on a tutour (I like the way Tess's red roses match the door.)

{{gwi:220143}}

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

There are some really great shots on here but karen, that red door and the little blue chair and red flowers is just way too cute!

Here is a shot of my front (this is from early spring). You can't see my front door (and I wouldn't want anyone to because it needs refinishing BAD!). There are some giant salvias, can't miss those, and also pots of red geraniums on the posts flanking the door. Again, you can't see them too well. In the middle of the picture is a bed of Honey Perfume, just finishing bloom, and Memorial Day, waving behind it.
    {{gwi:319474}}

serena, I have kitties wandering around my front (and back too!)

People always comment on my brickwork and I always want to give credit to my late father-in-law, who was a mason and did all the beautiful and extensive work around my house. He really knew how to "work a brick"!

Lynn

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Caught this fellow lurking around our back door...LOL

{{gwi:319475}}

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

Hanging Fuscia baskets, pots of begonias, hostas, several hydrangeasm impatiens.
    A few Roses in the front yard but most of the rest in the back yard.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

bwahahahah, Greenhaven. Karenforroses, I loooove those red boots and yes, that is a cute, cute photo, very charming touches! TexasLynn, very cute and graceful kitties and yes, that is amazing brickwork, absolutely flawless and beautiful! Everyone you do know that Jim has the best animal peaceable kingdom--he has dogs, cats, and birds (cockatils) all coexisting together. Jim, very! cute hummer, and it's big! must be very well-fed.

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

I'm loving these pictures! Keep them coming!

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Karenforroses & Jim1961 - I love the way you've coordinated your flower colors to your door-Karen & bricks-Jim! It looks great!