Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjrosaphile

Say it isn't so. . .Out of the Night sucks!

cjrosaphile
14 years ago

I saw Out of Yesteryear a year ago but did not have room for it in my garden, so I researched and found out about the smaller rose, Out of the Night. Ordered it from Pickering this spring and when it bloomed the blooms balled up -- even though it hadn't rained -- and dried up in the ugliest fashion. What have you experienced? Should I get rid of this thing? And what would best replace it? A short English like white rose with fragrance and disease resistancy? Just wondering. . .CJ

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I suspect it likes heat.
    Most of the Moore roses really like heat.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

A short English like white rose with fragrance and disease resistancy

Consider 'Bolero'.

Most of the Moore roses really like heat.

I put 'Precious Dream' in a blazing hot spot, where it is very happy.

• User
    14 years ago

Hot and dry is what this rose needs.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

CJ, I got mine from Sequoia a few years back, and I've had the same experience. I'm planning to shovel prune it in the next day or so. Out of Yesteryear will be going, too.

Out of Yesteryear and its children have NOT performed well in my garden (I've tried Out of the Night, Precious Dream, Lemon Pearls, and Golden Buddha. I put in Stardust before I recognized the pattern, and it's too new to tell if it will be a problem or not). If it's hot and dry they need, this should have been a good year for them. It rained twice in 90 days at my house this summer, and temps were regularly in the 80's & 90's--we even passed 100 a few times. There still were nasty balling brown blooms on OOtN and OOY.

These roses, along with the Austins, were the worst in my yard for winter dieback and canker.

A grandchild of Out of Yesteryear, Fakir's Delight, had some dieback but is doing much better than the others. Pink Powderpuff, a bracteata half-sibling of Out of Yesteryear, is doing just fine. I don't know what it is with Out of Yesteryear and all its children, but they really don't like my yard.

A possible replacement to consider is "Louisa Stone", if you don't have to have pure white. It's listed as an apricot, but in my yard it's been more of a warm blush-white color. It's new to me this year, but it's been a fantastic performer so far. Another to consider if you don't have to have an English-style rose is the polyantha "Lullaby". This is also a new one for me, and it's one of those roses that make you happy every time you walk past it. The blooms really do look like little Madame Hardys, with a little blush when they first open. I might have to buy a second from Vintage I like it so much.

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucretia1 - I'm the same CJ that responded on Your rose dog thread. Just wanted to get other people's opinions. Like yourself, my weather has been hot and dry. The placement of OOTN is south facing -- a very hot spot in my garden. I had no idea that Golden Buddha and OOTN were related. This happens to me frequently. I will buy roses with certain desireable traits and they end up being related. Only in this case, an orange and a white rose seems rathers coincidental.

I did just add another response to your thread. You may want to check it out. CJ

• homenovice
    14 years ago

I'm in North Orange County and Out of the Night is doing beautifully. It balled and blackspotted the earlier this spring but has loved the hot dry summer. I bought it to replace the wimpy Fair Bianca.

{{gwi:320379}}

• hartwood
    14 years ago

Mine is being smothered by its neighbor Pink Surprise, who is trying to take over the world. It's small and it blackspots, but no worse than some of the other roses I have. I live in Blackspot Hell, so I expect it to happen. There's a cute little flower on it right now, BTW.

Connie