Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Winners of the Heat Sweepstakes Are.....

....just a few roses but I feel fortunate that there were any that didn't succumb to the 107 degree heat. I took these pictures the day after, when it was in the nineties. Leonie's Apoline is a wonder since today, on the third day since the bloom opened, it still looks almost the same as on day 1 and it's still in the nineties. This rose when it first bloomed had less than half the petals and the colors were a strange two-tone cream and rose. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this bloom; it was almost impossible to believe it was the same rose. Has anyone else experienced similarly stalwart performers in areas where it's been really hot lately?

{{gwi:311680}}

Leonie's Apoline

{{gwi:311681}}

SdlM

{{gwi:311682}}

Mr. Bluebird

{{gwi:311683}}

Le Vesuve

{{gwi:311684}}

Miss Atwood

{{gwi:311685}}

SdlM Rouge

Ingrid

Comments (25)

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Ingrid, these are winners, gorgeous blooms!

Mr. Bluebird looks wonderfully fresh, delightful blooms and color.

Miss Atwood is very elegant; thank you for the introduction.

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I am in the Phoenix area so we have you beat hands down on heat. It has been over 100 for the past 4 months.

I also have Leonie's Apolline and it has been outstanding all summer. It's a young rose (in ground since last winter) and my worry is that it will die in the heat but it has grown and grown and tried to bloom all summer but I've been disbudding. It now has 2 more buds and I can't stand it; I will let them bloom. It has been a great rose so far. I love it.

All blooms crisp in the heat here but the ones that have been blooming besides L. Apolline are:

SDLM: her blooms are doing ok in heat; she's wonderful here.
    Souv de Pierre Notting: blooming but crisping
    Maman Cochet
    Green Ice: blooms all the time; no crisping
    Le Veseuve
    Alister Stella Gray
    Nipetos (Mrs Herbert Stevens): has bloomed all summer

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Leonie's Apolline is gorgeous! I checked and Vintage offers it as custom root right now. They say it is fragrant.

I hope this is not too far off the subject, but someone gave me a little rose named "Pink Hearts" that they bought at a local nursery. When I looked it up on HelpMeFind they say it is a found rose. When I look at your Mr. Bluebird above and "Pink Hearts" on HMF side by side it looks like the same rose. What do you think? I hope so!

Thank you for the pictures and the tips. Those of us in hot climates are always on the lookout for heat tolerant roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Hearts on HMF

• jerijen
    13 years ago

With nothing but a photo of blooms to go by, it's really hard to say. "Pink Hearts" is apparently a "Found" rose, so it could be anything. And some of Mr. Moore's earliest roses have shown up as Foundlings, under study names.

Jeri

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Double bummer! Leonie's Apoline is an HT (fear of BS here), and nobody sells it! What a beauty you have, Ingrid. As I was scrolling down. my chest was swelling with pride for these great roses - two of which I have and two I would like to have. Thanks for posting your hot-blooded beauties.

And, jaspermplants, though I'm no where near as hot as you, we love the same roses!

Sherry

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

roselee, Mr. Bluebird in real life and when it's not hot has a really purple color, much more so I think than your little rose, so I tend to think they're different.

Sherry, I wonder if the earlier hybrid teas tend to blackspot less than the modern ones. I have to say this rose is much more beautiful than I ever expected. I know very little about the earlier hybrid teas, if indeed that's what it is, and just took a chance on this one.

Thank you all for the compliments. I'm rather proud of my little group of stalwarts. I'm sure Queen Nefertiti would have been on the list but she'd just finished blooming.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Though 'Bishop Darlington' wins here, hands-down, for sheer, flaunting, volume of bloom in this heat, I am drawn to this lovely thing which belies the awfulness of the weather.

"Linsley Plot Quartered Pink" was collected in an old cemetery by the late Col. Mel Hulse. Though the mother plot was later lost, it's been replaced from the collection of the Sacramento City Cemetery. Now, THAT is Preservation!

{{gwi:311686}}

Jeri

Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeri, I couldn't find this rose on HMF. Can you tell me what class of rose this is? It is SO beautiful.

Ingrid

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Ingrid, regarding hybrid teas, I've noticed that the more recent varieties seem much more resistant to blackspot. I have a Garden Party and a Tropicana, which look rather gross right now from the waist down. Everything else I have (with the exception of 1 Kordes rose) was hybridized post 1971, and they are all MUCH better at fighting disease and keeping their pants on.

Of course my one damask rose, Mme Hardy, just laughs at all the others. She might get a touch of something mid-summer, but seems to have no problems putting out more foliage to cover the bare spots.
    ---Laura

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

We have had a fiercely hot September, even for Phx area, as we are usually "down" into the 90's this month. We are having fairly cool nights though, which helps. All my roses are trying to bloom but it is just too hot. We should get a good flush in Nov and Dec. Roses will also bloom from around Feb through early May.

Another great rose in the heat that I forgot to mention is the floribunda, Valentine. It has no scent but it has been blooming all month. Great rose.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

So, Ingrid, jasper, where can I get Leonie's Apoline? ;) (besides a customroot... &_&) Where did you guys get yours? maybe eventually they'll have them again?

Jeri, that's good to hear about Biship Darlington, I love that rose! ^_^

I can't really comment on this thread too much as I think my roses are too young to really see what they can do, and I'm still pinching blooms. I'm really busy lately so I can't really appreciate them anyway, and it's been so hot they'd probably crisp, too!

• berndoodle
    13 years ago

"Linsely Plot" is identical to the plant I received as Baronne Prevost from two different sources. ' course, for all we know, the found rose "Linsely Plot" could be the original source of Baronne Prevost. Vintage's plant was collected by Phillip Robinson. I don't know where Paul got his.

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I got Leonie's Apolline from Vintage last year when they offered it (not custom). Hopefully they'll offer it again since it's such a great rose, at least so far.

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

We had a very cool summer, then in the last week it has been around 100 degrees every day. The roses in my garden that are happily blooming their heads off:

Buff Beauty
    Cecile Bruner
    Le Vesuve
    Mme Caroline Testout
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Cl Rainbow's End

And, last but certainly not least - Anna Olivier. The funny thing about this rose is that I have been having conversations with various folks about its exact color, shading, color variations, etc. Well, in this extreme heat of the last few days it is covered with blooms - ALL of which have faded all the way to white! I have never seen it with all white flowers before (usually they are buff with a terra cotta revers, or solid pale yellow, or solid pink - white it a new one!).

Jackie

Original Author
    13 years ago

Aimee, I also got Leonie's Apoline from Vintage at the end of March this year. It's still a tiny plant with this one big flower on it. You might contact Gregg at Vintage and inquire whether it will be available again. Your interest might prompt him to propagate some more.

Jasper, could you please post pictures when your Leonie's blooms? I'd be so interested to see similarities/differences from mine.

Ingrid

• gardennatlanta
    13 years ago

It's funny that roselee thought that Mr. Bluebird looked like something that he/she has in his/her garden. My first thought was it reminds me of Heinrich Karsch in my garden.

My SdLM is blooming beautifully as well. This is one rose that just keeps getting better and better in my garden.

I love your pictures. Leonie's Apoline looks amazing. I also like your Miss Atwood. I really wanted that one but it didn't work out.

Keep sharing--your pictures and experiences always encourage and inspire me. Jeff

Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff, I had Heinrich Karsch until recently and they are rather similar in color. Unfortunately HK did not like my heat, especially since I had it where it got only the hot afternoon sun.

I'm hoping that Miss Atwood's flowers will be larger in cooler weather. It seems at though it might bloom quite a bit once it's mature.

I'm glad to hear that SdlM improves with age. I wasn't enchanted with this rose when it first bloomed, but the shape of the flowers has improved quite a bit already, and it's really growing on me.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Cass, I had not thought about the possibility that the Vintage Baronne Prevost was collected.

Yes, I think this probably IS Baronne Prevost, though I can no longer compare them here. (Our B.P. was the victim of our recent sewer-line repair).

If so, it will probably do very well here.
    Our old BP was a trouper for more than 20 years, despite being a virused wonder on Huey, from ROY&T.

Jeri

• newtie
    13 years ago

I'd like to suggest that those in the Phoenix area or especially So. California try Perle de Jardin. This is a strong grower with excellent disease resistant foliage in my 100 deg humid jungle climate, summer garden. This rose is pathetic in cool moist Spring and the blooms ball and rot. But once the heat of summer hits they open. When the other roses are gasping for breath, Perle de Jardin is at its best! I think if Your climate is hot and reasonably dry this could be a truly outstanding rose. It has a beautiful ivory bloom, when it opens that is. This is a greenhouse rose from the 19th century, and that could explain its love of heat.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Jeri, I'm waiting for my Baronne Prevost to get some age under her belt. I'm just letting her be, but I really don't know if she likes being tall and skinny or should I cut her back short. She's pretty healthy here and had a second 'flush' of two flowers last month, but she's not quite a year in the ground yet. I'm hopeful.

Sherry

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

newtie,
    I'm glad 'Perle des Jardins' does well for you, and I know it is good for some gardeners, but I have hot dry summers and even so PdJ STINKS in all seasons. An absolutely horrid rose in our inland Mediterranean climate. A gardening friend down in Umbria says the same.
    Melissa

• newtie
    13 years ago

Melissa, I'm glad to know that. P. de Jardin stinks here too, but only in the cooler spring weather. When really hot humid weather arrives it shines. So based on your experience we might conclude that it needs both heat and humidity. Rather unusual for a rose, I would say.

Thanks for the information.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Perle de Jardins was underwhelming for me too when I grew it. I remember about four blooms in two years. This is not the only rose that I've heard does better in humid climates. I've learned the hard way that not all teas are created equal. Sherry for instance bought Enchantress about the same time I did and hers has bloomed and bloomed while mine is downright stingy and has blooms that fry almost immediately even when it does decide to break down and produce one.

Ingrid

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I'm in the Phoenix area and have Perle des Jardins bush and climber. Both are young, around 1 year in my garden, and so far have not bloomed much. The bush is probably in too much shade but the climber is in a good spot so I will wait with anticipation to see how they do.

Another rose that has done well for me in the heat is Niphetos. It has bloomed most of the summer. Beautiful rose.

I have had terrible trouble with the yellow tea noisettes this summer. Died: Ley's Perpetual, Solfaterre, Jaune Desprez. I am heartbroken.

Hanging on: Reve D'Or, Marechal Niel (holding my breath).

Doing reasonably well: Celine Forester, Chromatella (I have hopes for this one), Bouquet D'Or

Growing and blooming: Alister Stella Gray (it is unstoppable).

Original Author
    13 years ago

Jasper, thank you for your helpful comments. Ley's Perpetual never took off for me and Celine Forestier, which had done very well before, is now almost completely denuded of leaves. My Reve d'Or is also hanging on but no blooms to speak of for quite some time. I hope it will be stronger in a few more years. Have you tried Cl. Lady Hillingdon? The bush never did terribly well for me (in two different gardens) but the climber was a winner in another hot garden and I have an order in for another one this spring.

I'll have to look up Niphetos. My Westside Road Cream Tea is growing wonderfully and producing lots of bloom even now, but they're very small and misshapen, which is disappointing. I'll give it another year. Perhaps Niphetos would be a good replacement if my rose doesn't mend its ways. In a cooler or perhaps more humid climate WRCT would I imagine be really wonderful.

I do hope your remaining roses all make it. I'm beginning to think that tons of leaf mulch do help the roses especially during the heat.

Ingrid