Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

harborrose_pnw
12 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

{{gwi:322151}}

Comments (15)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Gean! Thank you, and wonderful Thanksgiving wishes to you, yours and the other Forum members, whether it's your holiday or just a day you're thankful for. Kim

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

And to you! Isn't this your first Thanksgiving in your new home?

Rosefolly

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well. Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here on the ARF. Hope you day is filled with food, family and fun. Jeff

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi, Rosefolly,
    No, this is actually the second Thanksgiving we've been here. Hard to believe it's been that long. Thanks for thinking of that, though.

I must be getting used to life up here, as the dinner we cooked today featured wild caught salmon and roasted brussel sprouts. Since that's what grows up here, maybe I'm starting to be a pnw'er...?

I hope everyone had a blessed and fun day.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

What a lovely little bouquet! I hope you and all the wonderful people on this forum are having a peaceful and loving Thanksgiving with those who are closest to you by your side.

Ingrid

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

Gean that is an absolutely perfect little bouquet. Thanks!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Mmm, you make me homesick with the salmon and brussel sprouts! Hope you all had a wonderful day, we sure did with our families (both sides), lot of good food, just one big party!

Thanks for the pretty picture, think I'll go pick some roses for my table!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Gean- Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture! Your roses are so pretty. Wish we had roses this late in the year...and salmon at Thanksgiving sounds wonderful!

While it's too late for roses, we did make pie made with the apples we picked last month, from our apple tree :) {{gwi:322152}}From Lavender's Garden

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

How beautiful, Gean, thank you for the Thanksgiving greetings.

Lavender Lass, apple pie sounds tasty, a lovely tree pic.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

What kind of apples? (I grow apples, too.)

Rosefolly

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I never really liked Brussels sprouts until about seventeen years ago, one of my mother's nurses, who was an Italian from Bolivia (what recipes she had!), made a cold salad of baby Brussels Sprouts, cooked until not quite soft, sliced and served with diced tomato and spring onions in an Italian dressing. It was delicious! Now, I love the things. Just goes to demonstrate what a dear friend says about food...never say you don't like it, but that you've not yet had it prepared properly. Kim

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Honestly, I think stuff that you grow up with sticks with you, such as Brussel Sprouts, avocado; I love both, but my husband could never eat this, but he loves to eat liverwurst and liver; it makes me sick just to fix it for him, lol!! And I absolutely must eat Yorkshire pudding with prime rib on Christmas Eve, he thinks I'm crazy...

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Krista- Thanks...it was very good pie. My mom uses lots of brown sugar and cinnamon and the apples are a little tart, so great combination :)

Rosefolly- Sorry, I don't know what kind of apples they are...the tree has been here for at least fifty years (it's in some of the old pictures) and my husband's grandmother, who planted the tree, passed away before we moved out here. The apples are smaller than normal, but bigger than crabapples. They're a little tart, red with a bit of yellow and green, even when ripe and they ripen in October. They also don't have worms, which I've heard is unusual in our area...but I don't know if that has anything to do with the type of apple tree.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I hope everyone's Turkey Day was filled with family, friends, love and laughter! I had my sister staying with me and we had a big crowd at the cousin's house for dinner. Wonderful food, good times and plenty of fun for all.

Lavender Lass check out an apple called Cox Orange. It's an old variety that I have and your description sounds very much like it. They aren't the prettiest apples like you see in the stores but they are great for both eating and cooking.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

If your apple is a named variety, it is possible that you could to get it identified either at Trees of Antiquity or Greenmantle Nursery, both in California. They both have websites. I don't know if they do this kind of thing, but they might. It could be well known, but it also could be a lost heirloom people have been trying to find.

On the other hand, apples are wonderfully variable just from seed, and your tree could be a one-of-a-kind seedling that took hold years and years ago.

Rosefolly