Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dove_song

Fragrance and Outstanding Beauty

dove_song
14 years ago

Hi ALL,

I'm looking for a hybrid tea with a lovely Fragrance and whose Blooms are 'Super-Outstanding!' in Beauty. :-) Coloring is optional. Probably should let you know that even though I am in zone 5b, I've found that it's easy to grow most of the HTs I've tried. (Though I've never tried to grow the reportedly 'super-tender' ones.) ;-) Also, disease resistance really isn't much of a factor here because they generally just don't get any BS etc. in my organic, arid and pretty much very hot in the summertime garden. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder...sooo ALL suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Debbie

P.S., Any rose(s) I choose won't be ordered for this year of course, but winters are so loooooooong in this area, I'd love to spend part of it, and autumn, looking through your suggestions. :-p

P.S.S., If you have any pictures of your 'extra-beautful' HTs they would be most welcome.

Thanks again!

Comments (18)

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

So where are you, around Spokane, Pullman or up north around Colville? I am on the coast of Puget Sound near Seattle and Bella'Roma did not work for me but it might be spectacular for you. It did not like any rain on it in summer when the blooms were formed. Out of growing it for 6 years I only had one summer when they were beautiful and without brown rot in the center. THat one summer though they were breathtaking, and with the most fabulous fragrance! I would also suggest Firefighter and Just JOey as two othes that ae very fragrant and have beautiful flowers that every one seems to love. Some of the Austen ENglish roses are wonderful too, if they will grow for you and you have a large space to put them. For these I especially like Teasing Georgia, Graham Thomas, Crown Princess Margarete and Sharifa Asma as being the healthiest and making the biggest display of fragrant beauties!

• dove_song
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, LizaLily,

I am a Spokanite!, but my beloved brothers and some of my friends live in your beautiful area. :-) Rain?!!...what's that? Just kiddin' of course. We don't often get a lot of rain here during most our rose blooming season. And my microclimate is mostly arid and HOT! for much of that time. So Bella'Roma might be right at homa! here. Sorry about being so silly. :-p lol...and I will be considering Firefighter and Just Joey, though I've heard that Just Joey tends to be on the 'super-tender' list. I've found in protected microclimates that I can stretch the zones some...sooo I'll be thinking about that one as well.

Also, David Austin roses do GREAT here, and I grow some of them and LOVE them. But, I am looking for only HTs for this particular spot.

Thank you, dear! Much appreciated. :-)

Debbie

• mommachelle
    14 years ago

Let's see, my most favorite and fragrant HT's would have to be Fragrant Cloud, Dolly Parton, Double Delight and Tiffany. All 4 of these have been pretty darn healthy in our climate.

Michelle

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

I think you ought to check out the McCartney Rose.
    It's really beautiful and fragrant but it's a BS magnet for me.
    I second Just Joey and might as well throw in one of the best ever Double Delight.
    While I'm at it Papa Meilland might do well for you too.
    My brother in law lives out east of you in the valley and he had five feet of snow last year. I'll take the rain over here.
    I'm a Yakima kid and can't take the extreme heat or cold anymore.
    Good luck and post some pics of your new HTs. They should do well there.

• dove_song
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Michelle! I do grow Tiffany, but haven't yet tried Fragrant Cloud, nor Dolly Parton, or Double Delight. :-)

Lol, Chuck, I used to be a valley girl, myself. Have friends and relations over there, and my brilliant, extremely handsome Daddy founded TORQUE-A-MATIC INC there which makes me smile every time I go by it. And I KNOW what you're talking about. Last winter's snow was an amazing record breaker. What a shock to open the front door and see all of that huge amount of snow come cascading in. :-0 Yikes!!! I do grow Papa Meilland, and LOVE him. Thanks for all of your suggestions. It will be fun considering them.

Take good care. :-)

Debbie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I bought Yves Piaget because I saw it blooming in a very hot, dry garden which is what I also have, and the flowers in the summer were large and very fragrant. I also really like the lilac pink color.

Ingrid

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Careful, Debbie about Fragrant Cloud! It has a wonderful fragrance but! it almost never achieves the classical hybrid tea form! So if it's outstanding sculpted beauty you're looking for, there are so many other hybrid teas that have much! better form. I grow Fragrant Cloud and Tiffany. Tiffany has beautiful scent and I actually prefer it over Fragrant Cloud's heavier, stronger scent but its blooms in Kansas usually are looser and don't maintain the hybrid tea shape as well as other roses (tons of Tiffany at our Kansas City Loose Park Rose Gardens)but it's still very delightful nonetheless! It's a tradeoff between April in Paris and Tiffany. April in Paris has a nice fragrance and has a strong fragrance rating but it's still not as strong/appley like Tiffany. Nevertheless, April in Paris maintains more spiraling of a shape than Tiffany. I just love Tiffany's scent though so I still would choose her, because of fragrance alone.

I have heard that the Valencia rose is absolutely gorgeous and has wonderful fragrance as well. I too hear that Just Joey is a marvelous rose to have.

If one was a very talented grower like JeffAurora, Lincolns are unmatched in beauty and fragrance and it's like Rose 101---very strong and vigorous/indestructible, LOL! but you have to feed it sea tea/alfalfa tea or it univerally becomes a one-cane wonder.

In gifted hands Lincoln becomes this (from JeffAurora)

In dummy hands, Lincoln becomes one giant cabbage, What in the Heck is That???? kind-of-rose. But at least it's 6" across in bloom size (I joke that it's half a foot big blooms, ha-ha!) But at least with my Gardenville Sea Tea it's got lots of canes! Anyway, I thought it best to show the Beautiful-the Good with the uhhhh-gly "LUMPY" LOL! Mine are first-year roses so I can only hope they will improve, but I think not in a million years for me! LOL! I think only JeffAurora can coax out such incredible beauty.

When I was in search of a beautiful orange blend fragrant rose, several forumers recommended Victor Borge (Michael Crawford).

Here is a photo of this rose (but all online images portray similar consistent beauty as well):

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

the Victor Borge rose disappeared! Looks like HMF blocks the url.

Here is the actual web address.

Victor Borge from HMF

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

I personally don't have a lot of HT's but am fond of each of them. I have both Mr Lincoln and Oklahoma and love the fragrance and form of both. I'm also fond of Brandy but it is a bit on the tender side. My favorite is Sunset Celebration even though it's a bit shaded from a wisteria. I had the occasion to visit a garden this AM down by the Sound near Dash Point and they had a well established one in fuller sun and it was so gorgeous it almost took my breath away. To say it was stunning would probably be an understatement. I'm moving mine to a better location because as much as I like mine, it paled for sure.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Check out Peter Mayle--gigantic blooms in deep pink/hot pink with strong fragrance. Didn't think I'd love it as much as I do, but one look (and sniff) at/of it will win you over instantly. It is also disease-resistant.

My only reservation would be its hardiness. You would have to decide that for yourself.

As for Valencia, which someone above recommended, yes--BIG blooms and strong fragrance. The downside is that it is very slow re-blooming, but when it actually gets around to re-blooming, the BIG blooms last a long time. Again, you'll have to decide about the hardiness yourself.

Kate

• kandaceshirley
    14 years ago

I'm going to have to second the vote on bella'roma - absolutely love it - i'm zone 5 and not as arid as you seem to be, but it's also not constantly raining- bella'roma comes through the summer disease free for me

Mr. Lincoln does smell and look wonderful - my daughter was so inspired by it as opposed to any of my others that she wrote it a poem; however, i keep having problems with pm on it and it's my only rose with that issue

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

This one! PJPII.

{{gwi:336127}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    14 years ago

PJP,II is a beauty. I also like my Veteran's Honor for beauty and sheer lasting power. It unfurls ever so slowly and will last for more than a week in hot or cool weather.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    14 years ago

If you live in a great area for growing HT's without to much trouble, take a GOOD' long look at these. Royal Amethyst, Louise Estes, PJP II, Double Delight(from a GOOD carrier), Fragrant Cloud. One trick to keeping that top notch classic HT form on the flowers is to back off on the nitrogin(12-6-8) after the first spring feeding to a lighter(4-6-8- or something close) and use a good amount of organic food. Mixing a little chemical food with organics produces wonderful CONSISTANT blooms. If you buy 4 or 5 bushs of each of these varieties, your house will be full of roses that will knock you over with their beauty and fragrance. Help ME Find SHOULD have some photo's of these beauties. I know about them personlly.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, I forgot PJP II. that is one rose that is well known for beautiful fragrance and gorgeous flower form, from HoovB and JeffAurora! But I have yet to smell it. I am sure that next year it will appear at my local nursery.

Sorry, Ken, but I have to completely disagree with you OWWWWW! Artificially loaded nitrogen that is 12-6-8 combined with additional organics is way too high!!!! Remember when people use those artificial fertilizers, they actually unbalance the soil. It makes the soil less hospitable to earthworms and actually increases insect populations like thrips and other garden pests which love high impact nitrogen soil.

I truly believe that organics fertilizers do produce BEAUTIFUL AND CONSISTENT BLOOMS, in fact I am willing to bet that my organic Gardenville outbeats any artificial fertilizer. It only has a 2.1-3.3-2.2 ratio but it always creates bursts of healthy foliage and blooms and does not wreak havoc with the soil.

Hybrid tea roses just vary in their shape. Not all hybrid teas are created equal. Some hybrids will produce superior form. Fragrant Cloud is well known for being big, showy, but not classical. My local nursery always uses the artificial fertilizers to feed their roses because they want to force out the big blooms but their Fragrant Cloud looks mushier and their Chicago Peace looks very pouffy like a giant petticoat of lively rainbow candy instead of the classical spiraling form.

My hybrid tea roses are fed the exact same Gardenville Sea Tea and the ones that are famous for classical sculpted beauty remain beautiful and sculpted. The only exception is my Lincolns but I am also thinking this has to do with their age and maturity-they've only had only 2 classical spiraling blooms (first-year roses that grew from 9" to 7' tall). I have a beautiful fragrance sport Gemini and it has the most beautiful awesome spiraling forms ever! and so does my Climbing America. I've got tons of spirals from Aromatherapy-very consistent. So again, my feeling is that every HT will vary in the amount of "spiral". Again, same fertilizer-the same consistent prolific blooms, but how classical they get depends on the breed of the rose.

My roses:

And here are those roses which consistently have their pretty but non-classical shapes and therefore they do not! have outstanding beauty.

Again, I think it's important that we really evaluate what the rose looks like normally and what its average appearance should look like. PJP is one rose that is famous for its form and fragrance and it should be kept that way. I absolutely cannot! recommend Fragrant Cloud because in most gardens it does not have that drop-dead gorgeous spiraling form. It is not! an outstanding beauty rose.

• dove_song
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful suggestions and these beautiful photos!! :-D

Sorry that I took so long to respond, but I've been doing some heavy-duty research. So far I've ordered:

BARBRA STREISAND
    DOUBLE DELIGHT
    FIREFIGHTER
    THE MCCARTNEY ROSE
    TYPHOO TEA

...all for spring shipment from Northland Rosarium. Help, this rose addiction is getting the best of me! :-p

Debbie

• jont1
    14 years ago

Veteran's Honor
    Victor Borge
    Gold Medal
    Pope John Paul II
    Tiffany
    Dolly Parton
    Secret
    Fragrant Plum
    Nicole Carol Miller
    Firefighter
    Memorial Day
    Liebeszauber
    Double Delight
    Tahitian Sunset
    Sheila's Perfume
    Our Lady of Guadalupe
    Royal William
    Lagerfeld
    Day Breaker
    Soutyhern Belle
    April in Paris
    Commonwealth Glory
    Honey Dijon
    Melody Parfumee
    Crystalline

These are some of the more beautiful and fragrant of all the roses I grow. I would recommend any of them without reservation. Most of these are pretty good roses for disease resistance and winter hardiness as well.
    Just my two cents...
    John

• dove_song
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your two cents, John. What a great list of roses! Your garden must be highly fragrant and very beautiful. Not a small feat to accomplish in a zone 5b/6a rose garden. :-)

Debbie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH