Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Eutin or Cl eutin

vettin
14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with this rose pls? Do you recommend it? How is it with hardiness, bs resistance, scent etc? Thank you

Comments (6)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I had 4 of them, and they are pretty. The red is vivid, and the plants were healthy. Ours were weakened when the winter ice storm caused branches to fall on them.

The downside of the rose is that all of the blooms are heavy on the branches. Once some of the blooms are spent, the branch begins to lose its beauty, but more flowers are coming on.

HMF has some good examples of what I am trying to say. (I cannot find my pictures now since they are older.) If you go to HMF, notice the weight of the roses on the stems, and also notice the vivid red color. Some of the reds have not photographed well. The vivid light red is what my four had.

Sammy

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

Where did you find Climbing Eutin? I imagine that would be a site. I have Pink Eutin. I think it is a wonderful rose.

• vettin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked up Eutin on HMF and it had a CL Eutin listed. However it has no garden information, so who knows!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

I've never heard of CL Eutin, but I've grown Eutins in every garden I've had since the 1970s. It's a great dependable rose--really showy red large clusters of blooms. It is very disease-resistant. I don't remember its hardiness rating, but I grew 13 of them in Lincoln, NE and they came back each year, so I think its safe to say they are quite hardy.

The only down side for me is that they rest a bit too long between bloom cycles, but when they bloom they last a long time.

WARNING: Everybody will ask you what kind of Knock Out rose is your Eutin. I really get tired of that question.

I'm superstitious now. If I didn't have at least 1 Eutin in my garden (I have 3 now), the other roses probably wouldn't bloom! LOL

Kate

• dallasguy
    14 years ago

Kate,

I agree with you that the color of Eutin looks like the red knockouts. This is the first year for my Eutin and I love it, it has bloomed almost oonstantly for me but it is still only 1.5 ft tall. If anyone hears where to get the climbing version let us all know. I bet it would look amazing with the sprays of red blooms cascading down.

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

I've had my current Eutin for 6 years grown as a cutting from an earlier one It is 3' tall very bushy, wonderful foliage that is completely disease resistant here and immune to JB's. Mine blooms constantly. As flowers are aging there is already a new branch with new flowers forming. Very erect no drooping. It is one of my favorites perhaps really the top of the list.

As with many of my roses it has taken probably 3 or more years to get where it is.

There is no climbing version listed in The Combined Rose List which likely means there is no such thing. Nor in any of my rose books for that matter.