Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

A rose as evidence for the defence

mashamcl
10 years ago

I have to admit, with embarrassment, that although I read most of Agatha Christie's mystery stories in my younger days, I have by now forgotten all but the most famous ones, such as "The Murder on the Orient Express" and "And Then There Were None". I thought it was time I got reacquainted with them, and today I came across an Hercule Poirot mystery called "Sad Cypress". The protagonist, Elinor Carlisle, is accused of poisoning a young girl, Mary Gerrard. The case against Elinor is strong, based largely on evidence supplied by apparently well-meaning and gossipy Nurse Hopkins. The nurse's account seems airtight, but there is one little detail that does not satisfy Hercule Poirot. The nurse said she had pricked her finger on a thorn of a rose tree. Poirot finds a witness who proves that she could not have done it, and therefore that the story is a lie and that Nurse Hopkins herself is the real murderer.

Here is the questioning of that witness:

"-You are a rose grower and live at Emsworth, Berks?
- Yes.
- Did you go to Maidensford and examine a rose tree growing at the Lodge at Hunterbury Hall?
- I did.
- Will you describe this tree?
- It was a climbing rose - Zephyrine Drouhin. It bears a sweetly scented pink flower. It has no thorns.
- It would be impossible to prick oneself on a rose tree of this description?
- -It would be quite impossible. It is a thornless tree."

And so Elinor Carlisle is free to enjoy life and marry the man she loves, and Nurse Hopkins goes to the gallows. Because, as we all know, Zephirine Drouhin has no thorns.

After finishing the book, I had to go out into the garden and look at my own Zephirine. Not a "sweetly scented pink flower" in sight, but plenty of long, mildewy and indeed thornless canes, ready to bloom next year. But here it is this spring, the rose that gave away the murderer.

{{gwi:325415}}

{{gwi:325416}}

Comments (14)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Good story, Agatha Christie must have know her roses. Great pictures!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

What a fabulous pair of roses!

I am so jealous, I hear she is more the mildew queen here.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

One of the things I have loved about Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels is that archaeologist Barbara Mertz (who wrote under both names) clearly knew and loved Old Roses.

In some of her books -- particularly the later Barbara Michaels stories -- roses were prominent parts of the stories.

Those are books that, like Christie, bear repeated readings.

Jeri

• sherryocala
    10 years ago

Oh, Masha, thank you for sharing Zepherine's story of setting an innocent free. Your bush would set us all free and thrill us to no end if it were in our gardens. Thank you again!! You made me feel so good for having read it.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Oh wow. It never looked that good here. Congratulations

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

That is a quite breathtaking pic of ZD and another equally gorgeous rose. Thanks for sharing from a Christie fan who needs to reread her books. Diane

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Who is her more demure, yet no less lovely, companion bush? If my Zeffy looks like that she's a keeper because BOY does she take up the real estate here in my small garden.
    Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I remember this book well since I used to be a great Christie fan, but that was before I knew about old roses, so it was an interesting plot twist.

Ingrid

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Then there is "The Secret of Chimneys". Though I do think I'm giving it away by mentioning it in this thread.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Wow! What roses. I tried ZD, but gave her up, very reluctantly, due to BS. Loved the way the flowers cupped, and the scent! What fun to be re-reading AG's books. And Jeri, strangely someone said to me yesterday that she wanted to read a novel where roses were featured, so now I can give her an author's name.

• brenda_l_w
    10 years ago

Jeri, I didn't know that about Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels. I have only read her Amelia Peabody books and the first Vicky Bliss, which I didn't care for. The Peabody books I can read over and over though. I'm guessing that Vanish with the Rose might be one of the Barbara Michaels' books you refer to?

Also, that ZD is really pretty.

• mlle_melanie
    10 years ago

Mad_gallica, that is a total spoiler! Mashamcl, I just re-read Sad Cypress about a month ago for the first time since I've started to enjoy old roses. It was fun to finally have a frame of reference! I suspected your post was about just this topic when I saw the title, but I was not expecting the stupendous photos! Wowzers! It might be time to introduce a climbing rose to our back fence; maybe these pics will convince hubby. There's even an arbor...

• cath41
    10 years ago

And then there is The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters of the Brother Cadfael series.

Cath

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yes -- Vanish with The Rose is one of the Barbara Michaels books that touch on roses -- but many of them do, to one degree or another. Enjoy!

Jeri