Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

How did you make it thru the night?

and how cold did it get by you?

Acc to the weather site, the coldest here was 25 degrees at 4 am.

that's pretty cold for April.

I wrapped my guys, put them in cardboard boxes, and covered them.

Hope that was sufficient.

I was hoping that the temp would only dip momentarily below freezing. But looks like it was below freezing for several hours. :(

Hope my guys made it.

(I know I'm not going out til it warms up a bit!)

ellen

Comments (16)

• token28001
    15 years ago
    1. We had the same problem last Wednesday. The weather guys told us it would dip below freezing for just an hour or two. It was 28 for several hours that night into the morning. Everything came through just fine. Hope yours make it too. These plants are often tougher than we think. And the soil doesn't always get that cold even if the air is.
  • anewgarden
    15 years ago

I put my one tomato sprout and other tenders in a breezeway between garden and house, unheated. I am not sure if I should put them back out or wait a few hours!
    It is 35 now. Should be 50 when I get home from work.

• clarejoe
    15 years ago

I took all my tenders and brought them into the house, they are going back out now.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anewgarden,
    do they get sun in the breezeway?
    Since today is sup'd to be sunny, I would be a little worried even if it went up to 50 degrees that it might get hot inside the container. If possible I would suggest leaving them in dappled shade.

• andycls
    15 years ago

It was a frosty 24F at the lowest last night. I didn't protect anything beyond the coverings that were already in place for WSing, so hopefully everything is okay. I'm not terribly concerned about the perennials that have sprouted as I think they're probably good to tough it out, but mostly wondering if my sunflowers made it though (Mammoth, and a "mix" from Burpee). I'm at work now so I'll have to check this evening when I get home.

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

I brought a lot of stuff into the garage last night, so I'm guessing they're OK. Just looking at our forecast for this week--night time temps in the 30's through Thursday, not including wind chills.

Looks like another few days of shuffling.

Prof

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I had sunflower sprouts that got frozen and snowed on for a whole day, they looked fine the next day when the sun came out and the snow melted. I was very surprised and pleased. No more worrying about sunflowers.

• quilt_mommy
    15 years ago

floodthelast - boy I always thought sunflowers were more tender but in my experience with them so far they seem to be pretty hardy! I'm going to do a lot more of them next year now that I see they can tolerate this crazy spring weather pretty well!

• andycls
    15 years ago

floodthelast - That is good to know about the sunflowers. It'll put my mind at ease today before I get can check on them tonight. :)

• bigdaddyj
    15 years ago

Bottomed at 27F. Had my already garden planted (WS'd started) tomato seedlings covered. All is well.

• paphiocon
    15 years ago

Ellen, I'm in southwestern Burlington County and I simply flipped the tops back onto the jugs that had germinated. They are on the eastern side of the house. Everything looked good this morning.

A note: my next door neighbors erected a 6' white vinyl fence last summer. A few weeks ago I noticed self-seedlings popping up in the border along that fence -- sunflowers, zinnias, cosmos, and (I think) Amaranthus caudatus). After I saw how well the volunteers were doing, I decided to start direct sowing into that bed.

I don't know if I'd want to set my WS containers there, but it certainly has been good for seedlings!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey, paphiocon,
    another NJ WS'er.
    I think soon we will have enough NJ WS'ers to have a get together!
    Maybe we'll even let in a few NY'ers and PA'ers. :)

well, everybody made it thru the night, is uncovered and enjoying the sun. It sure did warm up fast.

• karendee
    15 years ago

I did nothing with mine and they seem to be ok in the containers.

Now I am scared to plant them out cause I bet that a cold snap with them in the ground will be much different.

karen

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

I am home from work and all my seedlings are fine!
    Thanks for asking about the breezeway ellenr! It does get some light but not direct sun. I put all my jugs back out.
    karendee-I am also nervous about planting out now. Glad I didn't do it yet.

• karendee
    15 years ago

anewgarden, I thought I was not the only nervous one.
    I am second guessing myself cause it is rainy today and the sprouts would have had a good drink and the sun is not out.
    Oh Well, maybe next weekend? I would feel safer if I wait till May.

Karen

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

I'm back. Get this: All the WS'd babies (annuals and perennials) made it just fine, along with everything already transplanted out. But, BUT, all the leaf buds on one of my Jap Maples are gone--black as can be!

UGGH! Hopefully, they'll regenerate. I can't believe it.

Prof