Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vics_gardenkeeper

Mary Washington in memory of my mothers?

vics_gardenkeeper
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

My mother passed away peacefully on Monday after a long illness. She had asked that her ashes be spread in our garden. I asked a few months ago about a good white with repeat bloom. I vaguely recall being interested in Mary Washington. We grow Teas, Noisettes and Chinas predominately. Jump on in with suggestions (fragrance not necessary--any size ok)

PS. Sorry I missed some of my favorite folks' birthdays last week. I will have a catch-up birthday pug conga line over the holidays.

Comments (12)

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Kate I'm so very sorry for your loss. I don't have a suggestion for the rose, but I wanted to offer my condolences.

Jackie

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Hi Kate -- Allow me to add my condolences.

Mary Washington MAY be the same as the rose we know out here as "Placerville White Noisette"/"Jacob Zeisz". If not the same, apparently they are very close.

Jacob Zeisz is continuous-blooming and quite disease-free here, and is much in the mold of 'Blush Noisette.'

Jeri

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I am both sorry for your loss and thankful for a peaceful passing.
    Mary Washington is charming and healthy and has grown well for me without spray for two years. I've got other white roses, but my fragrant white poly seems to take/demand a lot more cutting back. If you've room, Rosa moschata is healthy, repeats well, exotically fragrant and pest free. But it will get big (five feet here.)
    A smaller grower is Belmont Yellow. Shiny green leaves, palest yellow semidouble blooms. If she loved pale yellow, it would be appropriate (and is no spray, as well.) and is a shorterm, wider grower than Mary Washington.
    My foundling, Cleveland Cemetery White might also be a consdieration. Mine seems happy to be about 3 1/2 feet tall, a large bouquet shaped rose with palest pink to white rosette like blooms and good fall color. To my nose, no scent. But self deadheading is a good thing that it does.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

Kate dear I'm so sorry about your mother. Mme. Jules Bouche is a very beautiful Hybrid Tea that looks like a Tea rose.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I, too am sorry for your loss. I don't have a good suggestion at the moment, but do wish to let you know how sorry I am.

Sammy

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Kate, I am so sorry for your loss and, like Ann, thankful that she passed peacefully. I think Mary Washington would be a wonderful choice for you. Healthy, beautiful foliage and lots of it and fragrant as well. She was covered in blooms up until the last frost. I never have to dead head this rose, the petals will just drop and it is an attractive shrub about 5 x 5 ft here. If she gets out of bounds I cut her back and she never skips a beat. If you have room she would probably get a little larger but she isn't a beast.

{{gwi:325184}}

Hugs to you,
    Carol

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Kate dear, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.

Your beauty, strength, courage and loving self are a wonderful testament to your Mom. Those of us that have had the pleasure of meeting you and Joe are touched by your grace.

Prosperity

{{gwi:227275}}

With love,

Carol and the Gang

• orchids2000
    16 years ago

Kate, I don't have any roses to help you with but wanted to send my condolences to you at this time. Thankfully it was a peaceful passing. pug hugs to you!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say, Kate, that I am very sorry but as others have stated, very happy it was a peaceful passing. My mother died during the Christmas season and as much as she loved Christmas and always looked forward to all the festivities and family, I think I am saddened by her missing that last Christmas, but it was time, past time, and I was thankful her suffering had ended. Time takes care of a lot of pain. She will love Martha Washington. So will you.

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Kate, I'm sorry to hear of your loss and just wanted to add that I imagine your mother would love Mary Washington. It's so lovely.

Sue

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

I also wanted to send my deepest sympathies on the loss of your Mom. It is a particularly difficult time of year to lose a loved one, but she will be with you in spirit this holiday season, and of course, always in your heart.

Judith

• vics_gardenkeeper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone! You are dear friends and I appreciate the input. I'm looking forward to Mary Washington but may have to try the other suggestions. Fondest wishes, Kate