Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Good day, fellow Gardeners.

After several years of lurking and soaking in the vast knowledge of so many here, I have decided to join Gardenweb and participate in discussions when applicable for experience, opinion, curiosity, and interest.

First, a bit about myself:

I am a young man from southern Michigan that has always had a keen interest in matters horticultural that I believe stemmed from spending time with my grandmothers in their flower gardens.
I am presently an ABOC certified optician (if only the income matched the sound of that!).
I am a previous honours student, I am quite opinionated, and am willing to civilly debate a point if experience and knowledge spurs me thus.
Unfortunately, my friends have described me as being a bit too much like the roses I love- Prickly and sweet. I don't try to, but sometimes just come across as abrasive. I do quite enjoy clever sarcasm, too.

Despite a dislike of naming names, I feel I must give credit to those knowledgeable (and patient) folks I respect and admire for their experience and recommendations in their climates (forgive me, I may forget someone) that inspired me to join the Gardenweb Family (in no particular order): seil, roseek, jeri, malcolm, anntn6b, henrykuska, ingrid, hoovb, campanula, molineaux, melissa(italy), trospero (whose page I've loved since highschool (2004-ish)), michael(NC), rosefolly, poorbutroserich, and so many more.

I wished to say THANK YOU, and I hope to continue to learn and grow with my (our) passion!

Steven

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hi, Steven, and Welcome! Thank you for your kind words. I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing photos your roses and garden. I'm also very happy to have another Michigander to share experiences with. We cold climate growers need to work together!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Hi Steven, welcome! Gardenweb has taught me so much. Glad you are here!

Nin

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Hey there!

I have found so much great information on the forum. I've been helped, enabled, and encouraged by a wide range of people from various areas, but finding and hearing from others who grow in similar conditions is really the best thing about GW. I would be at a loss without folks like Jeri, Kippy, and plenty of others who also grow roses near the Southern California Coast.

There are definitely folks here who will be able to offer very relevant recommendations to you going forward. I haven't been interested in roses nearly as long as you, but as a younger guy as well I can't tell you how helpful it is to have the forum when nearly none of my friends or contemporaries are gardeners let alone rose growers.

Jay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Hi Steven! Come on in, the water's fine!

Jeri in SoCal

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Hi Steven. I am new too at this forum but an experienced lurker for many years..lol. Welcome!!

This is the best forum I have ever seen or read rather and the folks here are very helpful and friendly. They make this guy feel less of an odd ball too because I have not met anyone in real life that love roses as well. Usually people (both men and women) like it but I can never say that they are passionate about it.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Welcome!!

• User
    9 years ago

I am glad to have another cold climate poster so I can hear what roses work for you. Hi Steven

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Don't lurk, start yakking! :^)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Hi Steven, glad you finally came in from the cold. I lurked for a while too but joining in is much more fun!

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Welcome, Steven! Please tell us about the roses you grow - do you have a garden? If so, do you have any pictures of it you can post (I realize they would need to be from different seasons)?

We would love to hear about your roses, challenges, and plans for the future.

Jackie

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Welcome Steven.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Welcome, Steven. Glad to meet you and I enjoyed your lovely 'thank you' posting. You have good instincts for a great group of mentors to follow here; there are so many wonderful contributors on this forum.
    Hope to read more about your garden and your roses in future,
    Anne