Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandamiklos

Kitchen lighting dilemma!!!

amandamiklos
11 years ago
We are going to remodel the kitchen in the house we just bought, and are having a hard time with lighting. I love the look of decorative lighting, such as the schoolhouse lights, but am having a hard time knowing where to place them since we have a beam running through the entire kitchen. I know that some recessed lights would probably be good, but how can I mix both decorative and recessed in our kitchen? Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way, we are going for a farmhouse look.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    If your keeping the cabinets I would consider adding a row of top cabinets in the space above the existing ones. Use play or chest hardware and make the cabinets awning type. Then use machine antiqued glass for most of the door panels and LED down lights to highlight special item displays. Under counter line voltage led strips under the cabinets will get you the work area lighting.
    these would be fun over the island and the fix short cord ones for more general use: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1676475&cm_ps=modal_add_to_cart-_-none-_-other_items_you_may_like&categoryId=cat1701013
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    The beam across AND a support right in the middle of the island?! Ugh.

Definitely cans throughout. You can put something fun above the kitchen sink. But, because it can't hand down too low, it's not that fun. I need to do some more thinking on the other parts. I'm sure someone will come up with something excellent!
  • Kevin Nathaniel
    11 years ago
    That beam in the middle is annoying.. hmm.. Why dont you wrap that beam with some bulbs bubble lighting. You can use creativity and try to search it in the internet.
    Bubble Chandelier Original Size by Jean Pelle · More Info

For the fan, there is a ceiling lamp fan.. You can use it for better lighting..
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Why not hang schoolhouse type pendant lights from the beam over the island, and pot lights everywhere else? I would also paint the beam to match the wall color (it looks light blue?) or even the ceiling color, and change your hinges to white to match the cabinets. I'm guessing you're getting rid of the "boob light"; are you keeping the ceiling fan? If yes, I would change it to a white one. Great kitchen, by the way!
  • jacques976
    11 years ago
    the beam is a structural member since it looks like the kitchen was added on to at one point.I would get a engineer to see about replacing with a steel i beam with end supports big job lots of money.pot lights is the way to go for more light. if you are keeping the cabinets i would repaint them for a clean look a time consuming job not much money when i was doing that i would get all new hardware and fill holes that are not needed since the placement of the handles are not really in the right place for modern style.also think about glass doors on some of the cabinets.
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Ok..just looking at the picture, I feel like the room is unbalanced and divided, duh,right:) First I would paint the black beam white so it doesn't accentuate the divide. I would paint the windows white also...the black here tilts the room and is to contemporary for a farmhouse look. Now, since you are going for a farmhouse look...mix up some cabinet colors...perhaps a distressed red island ( blue or green would also work) and what about just removing those doors on the 3 cabinets on the left and painting the inside of the cabinets the same red as the island or a blue or black, or adding glass fronts . Fan needs to go but since the ceilings appear to be standard height I wouldn't replace these w a light fixture. I think I would add some canister lights around the room and then add your drop light over the sink and the island (on the right side if the beam) it's not a big deal covering up those light holes...I've done it many times. Now , back splash and area bove cabinets...I'm seeing red striped wall paper or tin ceiling tiles in the silver color. And finally, add some lace cafe curtains on black rings on a black rod that goes all the way across, then a valance that goes all the way to the ceiling in your favorite vintage design...cherries, or blue and red floral or checks. Then bring in your roosters, scales, baskets and other fun farm house treasures. And last but not least...how about some rugs, red checked would be great, but florals or stripes would work too. Oh and use that beam to put some neat wrought iron hangers , like the kind you hang plants on outside. Hang a wire basket on it and use it for fruit, onions, dish cloths, etc.
    Regardless of whether you use any of theses ideas or not I hope I have given your imagination a jump start. I'd love to see your finished project.
    Good luck, this is going to be fun!
  • callarman
    11 years ago
    kitchens and can lights are a perfect match My eye is also caught by the island what about painting it a color and putting a marble or granite top. I would consider doing away with the small sink. Love the idea of wrought iron hangers and new backsplash. You have a great kitchen
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    Undercabinet lighting is a must. And we have recessed lighting spaced along in front of our cabinets. Recessed lights above the sink and it's countertop are on their own switch. the island lights on their own switch. I would paint the beam to blend with the ceiling. A couple of simple mini pendants at the island would be the only hanging lights I would want to see. The kitchen is busy with cabinets, so less it more for me. More mini pendants at this site with great prices: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/mini-pendants/quorum-international-882-65-mini-pendant-satin-nickel_g138866.html?isku=770422&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage
  • 9809mv
    11 years ago
    Already a great, big kitchen! Why don't you play with your ceiling. I see this awesome door (Dutch Door?) with the cross patternin the background. Couldnt you do the same with your ceiling and add false beams to match that door (and add recessed lights)? Sure it would look great if you go for a farmhouse look and balance the room since the beam "divides" the space.If you put lights along that beam you will enhance that feeling
    Undercabinet lights a must your kitchen is big you wont regret that.
    Schoolhouse lights come as semi flushmount, mini pendants and and you can find almost every size and length if you like to put them above your island, sink or breakfast area But dont "plant" them in a row rather . And dont worry about your recessed lights. If you chose the smaller ones like 4" or 3" (and unfortunately more expensive ones) you will barely notice them unless they are on. We put in 5 inch in our kitchen which are ok and they not compete with the decorative lights above sink and peninsula.
    Love your kitchen it looks great already. Good luck
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    I think you're fine! A fixture over the sink, 2 pendants over the island (sink side or the beam) and recessed everywhere else. Add undercabinet lighting and you've got yourself the perfect layered, lighting scheme!
  • Barbara Allegretta_Robinson
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love the kitchen , but needs some color to brighten it up, I took this to my Corel PSP to see what I could do, but found these pretty hanging tiffany styled hanging lamps. then inserted them into the photo of the kitchen to give you some idea what a brighter more cheerful lighting can do.The fruit inspired lamps I found on Overstock, they have so many different styles and color patterns to choose from. And the fruit pattern reminds me of country/farmhouse look. it also would be nice if you wanted to hang a black or copper metal hanging pot rack over the island.
    11 years ago
    heres another thought, typical farmhouse lightning, they make these in reproductions too on many websites online.
    11 years ago
    one more
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Love the mason jat chandelier...how perfect for a farmhouse kitchen. I personally think every room needs a chandelier . This would be great over the island and even better over a table!
  • charliemycat
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Is everyone looking at the same thing I'm looking at? OMG. Please don't tell me your house is a 2 story. Even for a one story it doesn't look right. It doesn't look like it can support the the roof load. Someone took out at least one wall and probably more than one wall that used to be there. Please tell me you have had a structural engineer look at that support post. There is no way that island could support those two beams, (see the joint in the picture) and even if that beam goes throught the island and ties properly into the ground or foundation, (which I doubt) it doesn't look like it's sized proportionately. Hire a structural engineer right now, it will only cost a couple of hundred bucks.

First, a structural engineer has to say it is supported correctly, tied into a foundation, goes through the cabinet, and is tied in to the beams correctly, (I see no Simpson strong ties or brackets or anything locking it in) and is sized proportionately. Then consider wrapping the post properly as a beautiful column, painted white, with beautiful detail. Is that some sort of shelf? Get rid of it. You'll be happy with a beautiful column. Electrical plates on the post column should be white. Paint the beam and the window molding white. If the one beam bothers you, you could add two more "fake" beams similarly sized parallel to each side. Replace the existing light fixtures with some in a black color you like. I'm sure you can do a nicer backsplash, I would keep it very simple, like white subway tile, or limestone or tumbled marble up to the cabinets. I also suspect you will want to change the hinges, (easy) and the handles on all the drawers and doors. For the drawers, you can do a "cup pull" type handle that will cover the existing holes, easy and suitable to your style. Changing the hardware on the doors will be more difficult. If you do that then you'll probably end up painting the cabinets again, so I'd be careful about starting it. If you paint them again, I'd do ivory rather than white. It just looks better and approximates that country feel you like. I'd also like to see a deeper overhang on the island to accomodate seats, but you'll have to re-support the beams and the cut out around the post won't be easy. A second sink is nice to have. I would not get rid of it. I do not like the idea of the column going through the island, but is not unusual, and it's better than a column in the middle of the kitchen. If you have the money, a steel beam is the way to go but it would be very expensive. Yes, to answer your question, you can mix different forms of lighting, and I would place cans and the school house lights in the same room. Put a can light or a sconce above the sink.
    FIRST, PLEASE hire a structural engineer.
  • carolpet
    11 years ago
    I would go with two fans... both with a light on them - and get rid of that stationary light. Although I do like the hanging light in the other picture! They have some really cool styles out for fan lighting. I like the idea that someone mentioned about paining the pole in the middle of your island to match the beam in the ceiling.... and I would get rid of the little counter (or whatever that is ) that is near the bottom of the pole that comes down. I also would add some canister lighting in the ceiling - perhaps above the sink. I do like the idea of removing some of the upper cabinet doors and having a couple of glass doors!!
  • amandamiklos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow! Lots to think about. I am planning on changing the beam color. I am trying to decide whether to sand it down to the wood and distress it a bit, or paint it white. We are also going to put wood planks painted white on the ceiling. As for lights, I don't think I will go with fans, but loved the idea of pendants above the island. I was just having a hard time, because I liked the symmetry of a pendant on either side of the beam, but thought it would be too busy. Maybe I place them on one side, like was suggested. I will certainly place a pendant above the sink. Then small recessed to light the new cabinets and shelves we will put in. I liked the idea of mason jar lights. Thanks for all the ideas so far :)