Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

some late arrivals I had given up on

ellenrr
12 years ago

Lavender - at first I only had 4 seedlings, I was disappointed cuz 2 yrs ago I had very generous germination. So I planted out what I had. Well, now I 've got about 7 more seedlings - very happy about this.

And meadow rue- which was given to me. I had one sprout about a month ago, and was waiting for it to get a little bigger. Well, now it turns out that one sprout was a weed, cuz I've got about a dozen seedlings of meadow rue!

So don't give up too soon like I almost did.

Comments (9)

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Oh, I won't, especially this year since we haven't had much in the way of sunshine and warmth. Some things just naturally take longer to germinate, anyway, and some need two cycles of warm, cold, warm. I do, however, need to open some of my jugs to pull the weeds and to let air into them to dry them out a bit. I'm getting too much algae and moss in the jugs.

Karen

• erinlisa
    12 years ago

My rosemary just sprouted last night as the sun was setting. I was so happy to see some green in that jug, let me tell you. I had about given up on it and was going to throw the whole thing away, thought the seeds had rotted!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

congratulations erinlisa,
    I've always heard Rosemary is hard to seed.
    Haven't tried it yet.
    Did you get good germination?

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I just had some kale come up that I sprinkled out last fall in AZ! And, I'd given up on my Christmas Limas after two months, only one came up. This week most of the row popped up!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

My whole life is so behind, including my WS. Haven't posted much, which matches how much I've WS this year. I did, however, get Meadow Rue sowed, and it certainly was (and is) still one of my slowest, just like yours, ellenrr. SEeing a few shoots now, hope to see more!

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

I just got a couple of cumin sprouts. Wednesday the rain is supposed to let up here in NH!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just checked my weather forecast. Wed. is to be "cloudy" - guess that is the closest we will get to "sunny" for the rest of the week.

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

My late arrivals were astilbes and columbine. I had given up on the astilbes. I considered them failures, but I hadn't gotten around to dumping the dirt out of their tubs yet. (A good thing, too.) The columbines came up a little while ago, about the time everyone else noted it had turned up in their pots. Today, I all but finished planting out the last of my tubs. It's a good feeling. I'm tired and looking forward to a nice supper. This winter sowing has been a blast!

Thank you Trudi and RBrady!

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I had given up on Milk Weed (incarnata) and Four O'clock Kaleidoscope, but after rain all yesterday, they were up. I am still waiting on my Daturas. With rain all today and expected for the next two days, I don't know when I'll be able to plant anything out. And it's not even warm enough to harden things off. This is a very difficult year.