Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

pot garden - help make it look pretty

canadian_rose
14 years ago

Well, all of my rose pots have been in the garage for some time now. I'm VERY happy having all of my roses in large pots. However, I'm concerned that my perennials in the ground are not going to make it since you don't see too many flower gardens here in Calgary. Even if they do make it, the perennials didn't get very tall (none of them seem to here).So, if they don't survive I'm thinking of putting perennials or annuals in pots.

My roses didn't look all that great en masse, but each looked fantastic on their own. Since the pots are quite large, I'm not sure how to make my garden look nicer. If I have both perennials and roses in pots (I have enough room that they're spread out) how do I make them look nice together? They would all be sitting on gray bumpy rocks.

??? :)

Caorl

Comments (10)

• amberroses
    14 years ago

The first idea that comes to my mind is to coordinate the pots. Make them all one color or complementary colors and stack them so there are some large and some small pots in a grouping (not all in one straight line).

• peachiekean
    14 years ago

The fill, thrill, spill method works well. Arrange the tall ones to the back, the bushier ones to the center and plants that grow downwards to the front and sides - alyssum, angelonias, petunias, geraniums, greenery such as tarragon, basil, rosemary, etc. Since you are in Canada, you'd have to use what grows well in your region. Hope that helps.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since my rose pots are all the same and are all brown, maybe the perennials/annuals should all be in different sizes?

It would be nice to put a hedge in front of the pots. But I'm not sure.

So maybe my roses shouldn't be together, but surrounded by smaller pots?

Carol
    Thanks!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

I have watched talented designers (which I am not) and I was surprised to see that they don't instantly come up with the perfect arrangement.

They try dozens and dozens of different things before deciding on one look! Sometimes they spend all day on one corner or one little area, rearranging, adding, and taking away. That gave me a little more confidence--sometimes getting a beautiful look is simply working at it until it happens.

So I started doing the same thing, (except without the talent) trying all kinds of different arrangements until I found something I liked.

There are some basic rules of design that help, like rows and uniformity and negative (empty) space gives a formal feel, while random groups can be more informal. Scale is important--you don't want tiny pots in a huge space. Color--you may want all the same color for a feeling of peacefulness, or a lot of different colors for a feeling of energy or movement.

And deciding on what feeling or impression you want the design to give the viewer -- a feeling of riotous lushness, spare formality, tropical, english, native, etc...is a good place to start.

Have fun!

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

The fun of having pots is being able to move them around. I place sticks of painted colors that match the flowings and cut paper shapes as such and just move them around dim the lights up and down check and....... well....... it goes on and on
    Happy Holidays

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I just had the idea of making risers for some of the perrenials in small pots (if I do that) so that I can have some height around the roses. Sounds expensive though.

I like the thought about just keep trying til I like it!

Carol

• jont1
    14 years ago

Making risers out of various sized native rock always looks nice and gives more texture and movement to the area. You can also paint lengths of board to use as "shelves" for your pots on the rocks and use grasses and rock around the placings to pretty it up and give it a natural feel.
    Also, using things like hemp rope or woven products wrapped around the pots can look very nice and improve the looks of a boring old pot.
    Don't be afraid to hang some of your small to medium pots in the air to give a lightness and other vantage point of the potted plant/rose/whatever.
    Just some ideas I have tried that I thought worked pretty well.
    John

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

My first read of the subject title
    "RE: pot garden - help make it look pretty,"
    led me to believe you were requesting advice on growing pot (Marijuana) and wanted to know how to make the planting look nice.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

and maybe plant some things that grow down and drag along the ground..
    creeping charlie, some sedums, or lobelia...
    {{gwi:347359}}

it's not my patio but I sure do like it......

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

strawberrygoat - I can't see your picture! I like the ideas though!

Karl - you sure made me chuckle!!

Jon - great ideas, and I never thought of hanging some smaller pots! What a great idea!

Carol