Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyn_gw

Elvis - flower scapes dried

BettyN
18 years ago

I have an Elvis bulb that I purchased last fall. Two flower scapes started to emerge. They grew just out of the bulb with little of the stem showing and then they dried up. Now there is a healthy clump of leaves. Imagine my disappointment!

What would cause this?

Comments (20)

• mymanga
    18 years ago

I am new in and is not expert, but I got some problem with 10 Elvas bulbs as well .
    I just dug them out tonight, and I fount they tend to rot easily. You may want to dig the bulb out to check for any rot.
    Out of my 10, 4 has bulb rot. I peeled off the rotten layer and spray with Physan20 and dust with cinnamon.
    This is the first time I did this and hopefully this will work.
    Check to see if you get any roots. I found they have very little root develop on the problem one.
    Now I have to find out how to promote root growth
    Good luck to us both.
    Michele

• soultan
    16 years ago

I buy a new Elvas every year for the same reason. I have never seen a fully developed Elvas bloom yet. The scapes shrivel down as mentioned above. Is it possible that Elvas is a little weaker variety and tends to do this. Anyone else having problems with Elvas?
    I know Cindee is happy with hers. And to think that it is the sister of my Elvas...

• cindeea
    16 years ago

My Elvas was stunning! did your Elvas fail again, Soultan? Weren't they from the same place? Same time?

{{gwi:394658}}

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

CIndee! THat is too utterly Gorgeous!

I bought my ELvas bulb at the grocery it was defintely a lower quality bulb, and I had the same problem with a drying out first stalk. The second one was pretty but only 4 inches high.

• zubababy
    16 years ago

cindee i love how pink those petals are!

my elvas from parks bloomed well
    {{gwi:394660}}

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

I really think there is a problem with Elvas. I was just going to post about it and here it is!

I have two Elvas bulbs and while I have gotten some lovely flowers from them, I have also had several scapes do the shriveling thing.
    Right now I have one with a scape that is about a foot tall and has four flower buds on it. It has remained that way for weeks now and I just noticed that one of the buds is shriveling up. That's the first time I've seen a scape that mature go south. NONE of my other amaryllis have every given me this problem.

• salpal
    16 years ago

I have my first Elvas this year. It has a 10" scape and 2 flowers bloomed. However it has 3 more on the same scape which don't seem to be getting any bigger or opening and 2 of them look to be drying up. I had noticed another scape far down in the bulb and hoped it was just the first scape that was problematic, or maybe the first year. I hope that's true! It is such a cool flower!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Hmm....how peculiar....my Elvas is one of the healthiest bulbs in my collection and gave me two GORGEOUS scapes this season and formed amazing roots. Perhaps it's because I slowly allowed it to root for two months before allowing it to flower?? Elvas has been the only double variety that has produced tall scapes (one scape being atleast a foot long) and the only one that has easily produced roots. Double Record on the other hand, has not produced a single root even after 3 1/2 months! :/

My Elvas.....
    {{gwi:394662}}

{{gwi:394664}}

• salpal
    16 years ago

Pax, that's good news to hear- this gives me hope the 2nd scape will be fine!

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

How nice to see some good results from ELvas! I am hoping that next year I can get a bloom that has had the right conditions for it, then we will see what we will see. SOme of you have truly lovely ones!

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    Those Elvas flowers are breathtaking. Cindee, yours looks different from the rest, maybe more ruffled (or is that just me?). I also purchased a couple Elvas from Parks this year, but all of my Amis are very slow to do anything. Perhaps it's been too cool in the greenhouse, not sure, but I'm mostly letting them do their own thing (they'll probably bloom by July!). Everything appears to have roots because when I give them a slight "tug" they are all fast. Yesterday, I brought my Appleblossom and one from the supermarket I believe to be an Orange Souvereign into the house because the flowers were just not opening like I thought they should.

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

This one perhaps is my lost elvas

{{gwi:394666}}
    ARIF

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Elvas was so interesting...the color was amazing it just kind of bled through the white petals. The ruffles were an added delight. The bright red edging, the freckles, the symmetry, it had so much going on. I could easily stare at it an hour or so. Here's another fun shot I took of it with some scrapbook paper as a background.
    {{gwi:394668}}

This was definitely at the top of my "Best In Show" blooms this year. I feel very fortunate to have such good luck with mine after hearing everyone's probs. I sure wish I could have found some pollen on this guy to pollinate others, but there was none!

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

Comining back to the subject
    I experienced it in 2004 and never again.The cause,I still dont know.

{{gwi:377648}}

ARIF

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Cindee, just beautiful. What a great idea with the paper for a background. That's such a great picture, think I'd like to do a watercolor of it (if I have your permission to use your picture, that is). I won't attempt that background though -- not quite that ambitious :-)

• lostmermaid
    16 years ago

My Elvas gave me two beautiful flowers. The third and fourth just dried up as well. I haven't checked the root system as the scape is 2' high. I am afraid if I move the pot it will loosen the bulb. It is already staked but still. this is a RC purchase.
    Dana

• cindeea
    16 years ago

kitty-I would be HONORED if you did a Watercolor of my Elvas. It really did look like a painting. All the colors washed and bled together as in a watercolor. Please share your finished work with us!

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Cindee - Thanks and I'll be happy to share, but it may not be for a little while. I get backed up with ideas, but this one is on the top of the list.

Wish you could push some of that warm weather up this way so my babies would be able to grow a little faster.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Kitty, when ever you get the chance! I am excited!

Where do you live, my dear? Zone 5 is BBBbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrr to me for sure.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

It's beautiful, Cindee... The colors do, indeed, appear to "bleed" together... like you washed a load of white flowers with one red sock! It's rather artsy looking!

About the suddenly drying scapes and buds... I've had a few bulbs do this, and I'm at a loss as to why... the bulbs feel well-anchored in their pots... what would cause this stunted, dried bud and scape problem?

Sponsored
More Discussions