Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

A Poem tltled 'Irony'

bakemom_gw
16 years ago

Drinking and cussing doesn't seem to satisfy me, so I thought I would post this little poem:

The grass in my lawn is brown,

The grass invading my beds is green,

Doppler radar can be cruel.

Thank you very much.

Comments (12)

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Entitled. Jeez. Perhaps I need do need to go to the ComFest and watch the elderly hippies toke up.

• brightmoregirl
    16 years ago

bakemom, are we having a bad day. i look at brown grass as not needing to mow (mowing is highly over rated). the weeds are nice and green in my beds too, must be all the watering i do to keep the newly sown plants going. can't have one without the other.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not having a happy garden day. My lettuce bolted, I'm losing a new evergreen, my son decided that prune the trumpet vine meant remove it, weeds are out of control and the lawn does not need mowing. That is bad because that is how I dispose of garden waste, etc, with my mulcher mower.

So, I went to the market a few minutes ago and picked up some chardonnay. Perhaps that will mellow me out a little. I was hyped on diet pepsi earlier. I did a little seed collecting and that helped.

Here's how dry it is here - my cat sat under the sprinkler. She's a water cat anyway, but she just sacked out in the garden under a bush and let the water run all over her for about 20 minutes.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

I'm right there with you, bakemom. This morning radar looked as if we'd get soaked, but again it died out before it got here. We did get a little rain yesterday, finally, and a cooler day today. It's only 80 degrees. I planted my last 5 perennials (5 plants that I had potted up) today.

Our grass even grew with that measly 0.2 in. of rain we got yesterday. Not much, but some. My husband mowed the lawn today for the first time in 3 weeks, so I got a little grass for my compost.

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Once I get my last plantouts done, I can summer sow. Then, I can use my spa gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure. Plants are sitting there unplanted and seeds are unsown. AND, I have not been to the spa and I really really need it.

Wonder if I can convert my gift certificate to a stress massage from a hunk named Hans.

• neonposey
    16 years ago

Yup. The bugs, weather, weeds and my yard in general sucketh also....

• philmont_709n2
    16 years ago

same story here. but yesterday we were slammed by a huge storm. tons of rain so its a little better here.

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

same story ...
    am so sick of watering and plants looking limpy. Has been cloudy for last two days but no rain to speak of...

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Philmont: consider yourself lucky if you got tons of rain. I'm in Cinti, too, and only got 0.2 inches. Beats a blank, but we need lots more here.

Looks like Columbus is getting rain now, Bakemom? No? It's falling apart before reaching us AGAIN!

Karen

• neonposey
    16 years ago

A Blog to add to your Poem:

Today I found mealy bugs. I've never in my whole life had mealy bugs. I didn't even recognize what it was until i touched it and it jumped. I jumped too. I found them while spraying for spider mites. The reds and whites in my garden this year are not from blooms.

I lost 2 potted plants to that weird wilting disease where the plant wilts despite having moisture. Something about it cant take up the water into the stem and dries up anyway. Now they're even dying when they get water. Go figure.

Yesterday I found a hidey hole with about 30 earwigs i smushed them with a rock. It felt good.

Its been thundering and lightening for about an hour now. I've gotten about 10 drops of rain so far. Whats up with this dry storm?? Isnt' there a law against that?

I'm fixing to go out with the salt shaker. Maybe the slugs think its going to rain and I can catch them before they hit the buffet.

My lettace bolted too.

• krystine
    16 years ago

I like your poem bakemom, it's certainly fitting.

Speaking of rain and the lack thereof... hubby and I went to Lee Valley on the weekend and spent waaaay too much money on an irrigation system so we can go away for three weeks this summer without coming back to a crispy fried mess. Last year I was so depressed after I got home, I almost cried!

We spent Saturday setting it up... there's something to be said for flipping a switch and having 4 second story window boxes and 2 hanging baskets on the gates watered in 3 minutes flat. Now if I can just get the timers set up correctly, I'll be good to go (literally!) ;)

Kristine in Ontario :)

PS. This is a good time to hunt down cheap food-grade barrels to make rain barrels with!

Ignore the crapulent hoses, I'm still 'fine tuning' the system. Mulch will be added after I get it all figured out. The short grass in the first pic is Deschampsia caespitosa (tufted hair grass) grown from seed 2 winters ago.

{{gwi:401891}}

{{gwi:401892}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Chaotic Gardener

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Krystine: Very pretty. I love the window boxes.

Karen

Sponsored