Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomasdj360

Ants, white fungus and black spots

thomasdj360
12 years ago

About two months I purchased two 1 gallon bamboo plants from a online nurserie. Pseudosasa Japonica and Phyllostachys Bambusoides. Both looked okay other than some dead leves due to it beung early spring. Now it is two months later and the Pseudosasa Japonica is doing well but the the Japanese timber bamboo has ants crawling all up and down the cane and inside the topped part of the cane where they cut. They cut an inch obove the node leaving two branches growing out of that node. The ants are crawling in the rotting inch of cane. There is also black little insects I noticed most of them on the face of the leaves not bottom where mites usually are found so I'm not sure. They are really tiny and I could just make them out moving. There is also a white type of mold at the base of the cane where the ants are also crawling on and into the soil. I know there is a type of mealy bug that produces a type of mold that ants eat. Is that right? I have read that ants are not harmful to bamboo except in the case of them being there because of the mealy bug. I did not see any type of mealy bug though. Would carpenter ants eat the rotting topped cane. The ants are red and I did see one with wings (not sure if that was an ant though). I also have 4 Yellow Groove Bamboo Plants I transplanted last year and there doing great. They are all shooting right now. I have researhed as much as I could and I am still not sure what to do or what I'm dealing with. If anybody could help with some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Ps. I will try to post a picture.

Comments (3)

Sponsored