Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

Ooh winter perfume: exclusive O Fragrans Chinese cultivars

snasxs
15 years ago

O Fragrans is a great ever-green tree for mild climates (zone 7+, protected locations).

{{gwi:499007}}

The cultivars below are known not only for their superb fragrance, but also great characters.

(1) O Fragrans "Jin Qiu" Gold Ball

{{gwi:499009}}

(2) 3 year old O Fragrans "Zao Hong" Early Red

{{gwi:499011}}

(3) O Fragrans "Su Sheng Jin" Fast Gold  a fast growing large/tall tree type

{{gwi:499012}}
(4) O Fragrans "Zao Hong" mature blooms

{{gwi:499014}}

(5) Last but the most exclusive  O Fragrans "Tian Xiang Tai Ge" Heavenly Fragrant Multi-storied Palace. This one is almost ever-blooming with the strongest perfume, and the largest flower of all O Fragrans. Individual flowers reache 1 inch diameter.

{{gwi:499016}}

Comments (30)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Hmmm, huatan.net, a Chinese version of Garden Web? It's almost as hard to read as some of Ken's posts. I'm just kidding Ken (-;

Do you read read/keep up with posts on that site, or did you find the Osmanthus pics through Google, etc?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let me continue.

(6) O Fragrans "Xiaoye Fodingzhu" aka "Fudingzhu" BuddhaÂs beads

This is a four-season O Fragrans that becomes available in the 90s. It is a strong and vigorous strain which becomes a reliable street-tree in Shanghai and Nanking. They bloom from late August to early February. The flowers tend to occur on new growths which gives the cultivar name "BuddhaÂs beads".

{{gwi:499018}}

• gardenerme
    15 years ago

so how do we mere mortals get our hands on these heavenly flowers?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardener, long-river might have the connections. He usually posts in the Camellia forum. He is a trained cowboy from Oklahoma. I think he lives in Southern California too.

Well, I will resume my postings soon.

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

Man, great "sales" job. I was ready to go to looking for some, but this site's info suggested they probably wouldn't make it in my zone 7B:

Physical Characteristics

An evergreen shrub growing to 6m by 6m . It is hardy to zone 9. It is in leaf all year, in flower from June to August. The scented flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs). We rate it 2 out of 5 for usefulness.

The plant prefers light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils. The plant prefers acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils and can grow in very alkaline soil. It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It requires moist soil.
    Habitats and Possible Locations
    Woodland, Sunny Edge, Dappled Shade.
    Edible Uses
    Condiment; Fruit.

The unripe fruits are preserved in brine like olives[183].

The very fragrant flowers are used by the Chinese to impart a pleasant aroma to tea, wine and sweet dishes such as lotus seed soup, pastries and steamed pears[2, 46, 61, 183]. They are also added to herbal medicines in order to disguise obnoxious flavours[178]. The flowers have a scent of apricots[146].

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rcnaylor,

Sometimes I wonder if the experts see the real plants. It smells nothing like Apricot. The scent is possibly a transcendental version of white fringe-tree.

They are hardy to zone 7 in protected locations. Some folks in North Carolina (7a) find one in an abandoned yard. They describe: "There was always an unusual sweet scent. We looked all weekend and finally located this small tree in our property. We took a branch and went to a local nursery for identification." See previous GW discussions:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg0622094029965.html

The O Fragrans flowers are not showy; but the fragrance drift far. People always ask where the honey-scent comes from.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rcnaylor, I detect another error in your description.

For those O Fragrans cultivars that bloom once a year. The peak of flowers is in September and October. The flower period is surely NOT "from June to August" (as the website mistakenly puts).

I am a little busy with my stuff. I will resume my postings toward the end of next weekend.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

The plain species Osmanthus fragrans has been grown for years in the suburbs of Atlanta, even in non-protected areas. This would be zone 7, both 7a and 7b.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata says hardy to zone 8

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

That doesn't mean that some of the cultivars would be hardy in zone 7, that would have to be tested.

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

I am growing O. fragrans thunbergii here in S. Jersey with some success. It has gotten through 3 Winters. It has bloomed as the weather fluctuates from cool to warm in Autumn. Smells like lemon-apricot-roses to me.
    Two O.f. auranticus or auranticum are doing well, but have not bloomed yet. None are even 3 feet tall, yet.
    If hybridizers got busy they might get the intense orange color photographed with 'Thunbergii' hardiness. Such might even exist somewhere in the orient.

• jftitilah_comcast_net
    15 years ago

snasxs,

Where did you purchase your O Fragrans "Zao Hong"? I cannot find it anywhere. It is the perfect plant and color.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The Seattle arboretum (USDA 8) has gotten it to grow over 21' tall. However, this example may perhaps belong to a hardier type than is usually seen. Stock of forms offered at local outlets looks as though they want a USDA 9 climate, tending to have comparatively thin, yellowish leaves and getting cold damage to the tips.

The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans/Timber, Portland) listed sources for

O. fragrans
    O. fragrans f. aurantiacus
    O. fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
    O. fragrans 'Nanjing's Beauty'
    O. fragrans f. thunbergii

There is also this hardier hybrid:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant of the Month: December 2001 Osmanthus x Fortunei 'San Jose'

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry all. I am too busy. It is no Christmas break for me. I have my work. I cannot squeeze any time out. I do not have time to continue the thread. I hope it does not look strange if I continue far down the page.

Generator, "Zao Hong" blooms once a year. You might ask Long River if he has it.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

snasxs appears to be showing pictures from China, perhaps even some from nurseries in China. I don't think she was implying that she has personal experience with these in the US.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a little time. Let me add 2 more.

(7) O Fragrans "Yue Yue Hong" Monthly Red  this is the only red four-season type. It blooms for 220 days a year. This is a fast growing O Fragrans. Surprisingly, perhaps, the name does not come from the flowers. Their new branches are red, thus the name "monthly red".

{{gwi:499020}}

(8) O Fragrans "Ri Xiang Gui" Daily Fragrance  this magnificent type has not only strong perfume but also the longest blooming period which can be more than 300 days. The plant puts out flowers continuously. It flowers on both old and new branches. The white flowers extend above the leaves. This is also very cold-hardy.

{{gwi:499022}}

Believe or not, the Chinese lady in the picture is the CEO of a nursery in Sichuan. The plant behind her is an O Fragrans "Ri Xiang Gui".

{{gwi:499024}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(9) O Fragrans "Zhuangyuan Hong" First Red  this highly priced cultivar is the deepest red. The tall shrub (or small tree) produces a large number of dense branches to form a nice round canopy. However, it is a little more demanding to keep.

{{gwi:499027}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a full shot of Zhuangyuan Hong:

{{gwi:499028}}

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

"Snasxs appears to be showing pictures from China, perhaps even some from nurseries in China. I don't think she was implying that she has personal experience with these in the US." - Esh_ga

"Sometimes I wonder if the experts see the real plants. It smells nothing like Apricot. The scent is possibly a transcendental version of white fringe-tree." - Snasxs

Snasxs seems to be personally familiar with these plants, but it remains a mystery as to how or where. I'm still wondering how she located the pictures or if they might be her own pictures that are posted to the huatan.net site.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

personal experience with these in the US

I imagine she has seen them in China.

The red flowered ones are quite beautiful.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol, are you talking about O Fragrans?

Huatan is a great site. It combines discussions, special interests clubs, webhosting, photobucket, and ebay in one. Its technology is much better than GW. I use it as a free photo repository.

Esh_ga, I recommend you to also look closely at Tian Xiang Tai Ge, Ri Xiang Gui and Jin Qiu. They are marvelous.

I will continue after I finish my current work.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Now I want to plant a several of O Fragrans around my house now. So far what I can buy on the internet...

'Conger Yellow'
    Fudingzhu aka Nanjing Beauty
    aurantiacus

To name a few...

It would be nice to get all those from China though...

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(10) O Fragrans "Wan Yin Gui" Late Silver - this is a representative of the traditional silver type. Late Silver is similar to cultivar "Bai Jie" (Snow White). However, the leaves of Late Silver are oval and the flowers are extremely profuse.

{{gwi:499029}}

(11) O Fragrans "Juban Gui" Chrysanthemum Petal - this is another historically famous silver type. Each flower has several long petals resembling the shape of star jasmine. It was previously known only from the ancient city of Hang Zhou. Unfortunately, after the construction boom in the last 20 years, the cultivar is suspected to be extinct now. A search has been on-going since 2005.

There are thousands of Chinese cultivars of O Fragrans. Slightly luckier than cultivar "Ju Ban", O Fragrans "Yin Qui" (Silver Ball) and "Yu Lian Yin Si" (Jade hanging silver thread) are recovered. However, only one plant of "Yin Qui" was ever found. The plant does not produce any seed. Grafting has poor surviving rate.

People realize the value of O Frangrans after some are lost forever. The image below is the extinct "Ju Ban":

{{gwi:499030}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(12) O Fragrans "lu Rui" Green Lip  this is a four-season cultivar. It has oval leaves and round-shaped flowers. Each creamy flower has a light green center ... thus the cultivar name.

{{gwi:499032}}

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Snasxs,

Where happened to all those pictures?

• thegenerator
    14 years ago

I know it's been quite a while since I visited, but thanks SNAXS for referring me to Long River. Not sure how to find him though.

I purchased a white flowering O fragrans from Brighter Blooms, who states they are hardy in Zones 7-9. I am in zone 7 in Washington state in the foothills of the Cascades. I put lots of mulch, but did not wrap it, so my tree did not survive this last winter. It lost every leaf and as of March 2010, it is not completely dead, but there are still no leaves. The lowest temp was 10 degrees that lasted for a week.

I am really heartbroken that this tree did not survive. Do you think I should try again?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Snasxs, I was more interested in the up close pictures of cultivars that you showed us in the previous messages but the pictures aren't there anymore.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lou,

The pictures are still there. GW no longer allows image-links from websites other than photo-buckets. Thus you cannot see the pictures.

I am not sure if you have any persuasive power over the decision-making of GW.

• ermazi
    11 years ago

Hi, Snasxs,

Do you know where can I buy a "zao hong"?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I have been looking for an O. fragrans 'Nanjing's Beauty' ('Fudingzhu'/'Fodingzhu'). A local store is selling tea olives with the label "Tea Olive - Four Seasons Flower". Could it be a Nanjing's Beauty? If not, what variety do you think it is? Which O. frangrans has the common name "Four Seasons Flower"?

I sure do appreciate any help. Thank you so much,

Carol in Jacksonville