Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psuperb1

Queen of the Night--which genus/species are these?

psuperb1
13 years ago

In the neighborhood, there is a corner lot overgrown (in a good way) with Queen of the Night cactus. They are still blooming so I took camera along this morning:

{{gwi:412722}}

{{gwi:412723}}

{{gwi:412724}}

Do these look like Peniocereus greggii? Or another species?

From what I read on internet, they need a nurse plant to provide enough shade for them to get established. I don't have a lot of shade. Would this be a prohibition on getting the plant? This may be something I'll have to wait on until my plants grow big enough to offer some shade.

Right now I'll settle on an ID for what type of queen of the night this is. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Had time to do some internet browsing. The site given below confirms (I think) that pictures are Peniocereus greggii. The site lists eleven plants that have the common name Queen of the Night. If I'm not mistaken, the gardener in my neighborhood is growing Echinopsis leucantha also. There was another photographer there this morning. Hopefully I'll see the gardener one of these days.

Meanwhile if anyone has tips for growing P. greggii, please I'd like to hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: CactiGuide.com List of Common Names

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, I'm getting more confused about the ID. Now I think it may be Selenicereus hamatus. I'm going to make a similar post at the Cactus and Succulent forum to see if anyone there knows.

• aztreelvr
    13 years ago

It could also be Harrisia bonplandii or Harrisia pomanensis.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Great plant! I wish that was near me so I could grab a cutting, LOL. Before reading any of the text I thought it sure looked like Harrisia bonplandii, so I'd agree with AZtreelover on that as a good candidate.

It's definitely not the typical queen of the night P. greggii which I've grown for several years in the past at my last garden. Greggii has very thin, brittle stems that are very blue gray and the aereoles don't have such a nice white tuft.

Let us know if you decide on a definite ID. It's a very neat plant and your pics are great as always!

Keep us posted!
    Take care and thanks for highlighting this fun plant,
    Grant

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aztreelvr,

You are definitely on to something. Another response at another website was Harrisia jusbertii. The Harrisia species we have mentioned between us have flowers that match up very well.

See link below for further information. The "Notes on the Genus Harrisia" speculates that H. jusbertii is "an inter-generic hybrid of H. pomanensis and Echinopsis eyriesii."

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to put this one to rest, with the help of forum members!

Here is a link that might be useful: Genus Harrisia

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grant,

I was posting while your post came up. Thanks for your input. It's always appreciated. I think you, aztreelvr and I are in basic agreement. Harrisia bonplandii = H. pomanensis = H. jusbertii. If they are not synonymous, they're close enough.

Thank you both.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction