Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asterjoy

Best Amaryllis varieties for forcing

asterjoy
16 years ago

Hi, this is my first posting! I have a 2-part question: What are the all-around best varieties for forcing indoors? I like to get a few bulbs and then grow them spaced apart throughout the winter. The problem is that many suppliers mail them with growth already started. Are there any that mail them in the dormant state? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• soultan
    16 years ago

They mail them in the dormant state. But mailing often takes too long. By the time they arrive, they might start growing. But it does not matter to you. If you can place them in a dark, cold place, you can slow the growth to almost zero. I am just planting bulbs that I purchased in October. Some of them don't even have scape showing at all. If you are afraid that the bulbs you get would be too developed already, then it is better for you if you go to your local garden stores and look up their varieties... From them, you can choose the bulb that shows the least signs of waking up. I am different. I like to choose the big bulbs that have scape showing already. This way I can be sure that I will get bloom from it.

• asterjoy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Soultan. Interesting that years ago I used to get mail order bulbs without any signs of growth. Lately, I can't even find these in the stores. I'll try harder and/or follow your suggestion to retard growth.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I live in Los Angeles. Even in this warm climate, I can find sleeping bulbs from October. Sometimes, as I said, I am even disturbed that none of them show sign of scape... How can I choose then? I just place all of them in size order, then check the roots... They look at me really funny in the stores.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

I would advice you to purchase them as early as you can and store them at the right temp. (40-55F). Dutch grown bulbs are harvested middle/end of Aug. Then they are given 8-10 weeks of cold storage before they are shipped. That is the reason why we get them here in US by Oct. In between shipment from growers to the time we purchase them from bulb companies/stores here in US, we do not know what temp. they were kept/stored. The longer they are exposed to temp. above 55F, the more chance that they will start growth.

South African and Brazil grown bulbs I was told are harvested in April/May. Thus they are available to buyers a month or two earlier than Dutch grown bulbs.

Of course, purchasing from a reliable bulb company also makes a very BIG difference in the quality of the bulb your getting.

Good luck and hope that helps!

• soultan
    16 years ago

It is interesting that I don't get the South African varieties earlier... All the bulbs arrive around or on October 10th. I shouldn't even try going out and look for them. That is the first day they appear on the shelves.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

You are lucky you get SA varieties in stores around you. I don't. I have to order almost all of my bulbs. If I remember right, JS had SA varieties available earlier than Dutch grown ones last year.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Maria,
    I can make a list of varieties I find on the shelves this October, and I can buy for you whatever you'd like, and I can send them via USPS. I will not charge any extra for it, just the actual cost.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Well thank you so much Soultan. I would really appreciate that. I am planning to throw away some 'problem' bulbs instead of storing them with the collection. It is just not worth my time anymore to nurture them back to health when I can easily replace them with healthy ones. The collection is way more valuable than a $10 bulb.

• soultan
    16 years ago

What's wrong with the problem bulbs? Do they snore or use drugs?
    Please call my attention to my promise after october 10th. I will try not to forget to make lists of varieties I can lay my hands on for you. I will make these rounds anyway once a week to find new varieties for myself, so it is no problem for me to make the list and following week buy them and ship them to you. I could easily write 40-50 varieties up for you, I am sure. Then you will tell me which ones you want... I have nice variety here in several stores in the fall.

Sponsored
More Discussions