Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

Seed Report for Kristi :)

karanb1r
13 years ago

Like I promised here is the first report of the seedlings you sent me.

Exotica x Charisma - 8

Minerva Self - 6

Pres. John x Charisma - 5

Lady Diana Self - 4

Prelude Self - 2

Limona Self - 2

Lemon Star x Fairy Tale - 1

Red Lion Self - 1

Paris - 1

Mystery - 0
Lemon Star Self - 0

Mystery seeds had some roots a couple weeks ago but I guess they rotted

1 Paris seed Sprouted so not all of them died

Lemon Star x Fairy Tale may be a Lady Diana but I doubt it... i slpit one pot cell for those seeds. So maybe 1 of the lady diana's are a Lemon Star x Fairy Tale but probably not.

so i guess the only one that wasnt meant to sprout was lemon star self.

Could you tell me what mystery was?

and could you share which ones sprouted for you and which ones didnt?

Comments (21)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I really like the sound of Exotica X Charisma!! Hope those grow well for you! By the way KB, my Exposure selfed aborted, all of them!!

Donna

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its cool Donna. But I appreciate the offer. maybe next time.

Right now my seedlings are under lights 24/7. just 2 fluorescent bulbs.

They arent really growing in a line or anything so should i leave them like that? or should i take them all out and plant them straight so they grow evenly?
    if yes when do i do that?

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

2 more emerged today

so now its

Exotica x Charisma - 10

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Laughing...the Mystery seeds are.....A MYSTERY! I didn't label the bag! I think they are the second pod from Paris selfs! My Lemon Star selfs didn't sprout either...so you are right on agreement with my sprouts!

I had some other seeds that were so sparse that I didn't share (they were already planted...) these were Jewels crosses (Red Lion x Jewel and Lady Diana x Jewel). Those could be very interesting!
    K

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have so many seeds all from the same plant and i notice that some seeds grow faster some grow slower
    some are big and some are small
    and i think this is all apart of the plants genetics

all my seeds are growing all over the place since i really didnt plant in columns or rows should i seperate them and make them organized or no?

thanks Kristi! too bad we have to wait so long to see results

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HOWDY!!!

THIS IS AN UPDATE FOR KRISTI & ALANA. As well as some other news.

1.5 YEARS LATER

Enough with the all caps... hehe I will post pics later this week!!

So Kristi, you sent me seeds, I planted and many grew. The bulbs are much bigger now. I am pretty sure all the seedlings I mentioned above are still alive.

and Alana you sent me a few bulbs, one of Orange Sovereign x Moonlight, one of blossom peacock x red lion, and the others were self pollinated Orange Sovereign and Moonlight.

I can't tell which is which since the signs got mixed up, but once we see scapes well know.. maybe!! I do know which one is OS x ML and BP x RL, but the rest are a mystery.

Anyways, I took them out yesterday, all of them and replanted them. I also sprinkled some cinnamon on the red spots and I sprinkled some root growth hormone on all the roots. The rooting powder is very clumpy so I got some on the roots near the basal plate and for others in the middle... It might not even make a difference... who knows...

As for the seeds from my own bulbs which I will get an ID on in a couple weeks, I planted them in the ground, and I got rid of the puny ones and let the bigger ones survive.

On a side note!! I will be going to India in 2.5 weeks weeks, so lets hope I see some scapes to ID before I leave... anyways.. When my aunt came to visit, she told me about monster sized bulbs, like she was talking watermelon size!!, and when I go to see her I will be sure to see what she was talking about.. and maybe steal some seeds!!! I will also try to ask around and get some seeds on other bulb type flowers if I can/if they're available. If you guys know the names of any flowers indigenous to India, please let me know so I may ask. PS I will be in northern India, state of Punjab. Stay tuned for pics, nothing special but STAY TUNED!!!

-KB

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Do we have two KBs? Kristi and Karan? Just to avoid confusion (if I am right)!

Carol

12 years ago

Hi Carol, While I have your attention, I just want you to know that I haven't forgotten your fondness for Pink Hippies and I have a few crosses that should be all pink or pink and white and when they have matured (successfully I hope) I will let you know as I want you to have some! It will be a while, but I haven't forgotten!

Donna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Hi Donna!

It is always wonderful to hear from you! I actually visit the forum every day - I just don't post very much any more - it feels a little different than it did to me in earlier days. (It seems like a lot less fun discussion of ideas and different methods and how-tos, and more regimented, "see the FAQ" and all that. A lot of the fun is gone.)

I would love some of your PINK hippies! I have lots of bulbs in the side yard that are grouped and aggregated purely for trade and give-away: minerva, red lion, orange sovereign, clown, hercules and others - would be overjoyed to send you some back. Only thing is that I cannot guarantee that my bulbs don't have an illness, disease, virus, whatever. They are all grown outdoors and are huge, but nevertheless, I have no idea what they may carry.

I am so sorry to hijack this thread. My apologies in advance for breaking the rules. :(

Carol

12 years ago

Carol, Well, we all know that rules are made to be broken..no apologies for anything..we ALL do it! I'm doing it now!
    I do appreciate your offer for something in return, but honestly I really like to find homes for these experiments and I really don't want or need anything in return. I can't seem to stop myself from playing bee and I end up giving most away anyway! That's half the fun of this hobby! Talk to you soon..

Donna

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup yup two KB's she is kb 1 and Im kb2 according to her lol

Anyways I don't care if you "hijack" my thread, haha no problem!!!

And yeah I the forums have become a bit boring!! We should make it a requirement to include a picture with each initial post to brighten things up!

I'll be posting pics in a little bit but nothing colorful today unfortunately.

KB

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This pic is of the bulbs I have yet to ID, probably striatum. There are about 5 scapes I see popping.
    {{gwi:424885}}

This one is pink belladonna, top left, which I am holding back since the leaves are everywhere. The top right corner is all blossom peacock x red lion, with many offsets. Under it is a tiger lily ill take it out later. And bottom is red lion with a scape coming out as well.
    {{gwi:424886}}

These are mostly seedlings i grew from seed which Kristi gave me.
    {{gwi:424887}}

More seedlings from Kristi, and a few from Alana mixed in.
    {{gwi:424888}}

These are more seedlings from Kristi and Alana!
    {{gwi:424889}}

Orange Sovereign x Moonlight from Alana Close up
    {{gwi:424890}}

Seedlings I grew from my bulbs.
    {{gwi:424891}}

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE!!!! I want to trade these seedlings if anyone is looking!!! I will take anything!! :)

and I can also trade the big bulbs in the first picture if you want!!!!! Well I wanted to give you guys an update!! :)

-KB

12 years ago

Those seedlings look great!!

Yes..there are 2 KBs! I claim KB1 due to being first on the list....and Karanblr is KB2...as she was 2nd on the scene!
    hehehe age has its privledges!
    Kristi
    (KB1)

12 years ago

Why did I think that KB2 was a man...hehehe...

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hhaha I am a 20 year old MALE!!!! It's ok Kristi

12 years ago

oops...sorry! We need another "Let's introduce ourselves" post so we have faces to associate with names!
    K

• e36yellowm3
    11 years ago

KB(2) thanks for the pointer to this post - I see the seedling I sent ya. They're looking great! I'll take a look at the ones I have now and let you know what they are in case you're interested in any.

It's interesting that your RL x BP bulb is producing a bunch of offsets. That seems to be a trait of my BP bulb - it's good for one or two nice size offsets / year. Maybe your seedling picked up that trait from BP.

Alana

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!! Once they produce a scape I will post another thread and send you an email!!!

I think the bulb you sent me now has like 5 or 6 offsets which were produced under the course of a year... Thanks for sending the bulbs by the way!!! I can't wait until they flower!!!

KB

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Alana and Kristi,

Have any of your bulbs produced a flower yet??

I am just curious. :)

KB

11 years ago

KB(2),
    I expect blooms this spring. It's 28 degrees out and the bulbs in the greenhouse are sleeping. Isn't so Cal wonderful for gardening. I bet you have blooms coming already!! Do share... I want to see some of my crosses!!
    KB (1)
    :-)

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not yet unfortunately!!! I grew mine a few months after you grew yours.
    Hopefully I get a bloom or two this season!!!

Idk yet to be honest. I also put all of my bulbs in the ground as the ones that I had in the ground were growing significantly better. I also lost all my tags :(. But I will post pics once I get a bloom.

The blooms can be either the ones from the seeds I grew my bulbs, the seeds you gave me or Alana's bulbs. Well figure it out when something blooms. :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions